Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-04-2009, 14:12   #41
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

People should check the error that the gate displays on the LCD panel of the ticket gate. Common errors include "Wrong way up" and "ticket failed" which just mean that the magnetic stripe on that particular ticket is illegible. "No valid route" or "destination exceeded", on the other hand, means that there's a logic error with the gates and/or the ticket.

We have another thread where people can post issues with the ticket gates (at Heuston or anywhere); if there is a series of issues we will aggregate it and send on to IÉ.

Last edited by Thomas Ralph : 22-04-2009 at 14:21. Reason: "destination exceeded"
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-04-2009, 14:17   #42
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Fairly clear someone has forgotten to program

If exiting & destination = 299 -> open
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2009, 16:40   #43
iridium
New to the board

I have a monthly ticket, without the City Centre add-on, and it's been fine for me so far.

What I found weird was that on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings I arrived at Heuston on platform 2. There must have been 15 to 20 gates available for exit, and 90% on the people on my train queued up for the first two gates, leaving all the other ones empty! They seemed to have copped on by yesterday though.
iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2009, 18:05   #44
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridium View Post
What I found weird was that on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings I arrived at Heuston on platform 2. There must have been 15 to 20 gates available for exit, and 90% on the people on my train queued up for the first two gates, leaving all the other ones empty! They seemed to have copped on by yesterday though.
Same thing happens with the Sligo train in Connolly when it arrives in platform 2. Its unfortunate that the gate line is so near the doors to the platform at in Connolly. A curve would have been better than a straight line, so as to encourage people to fan out.
Unread 26-04-2009, 15:39   #45
netlordr23
New to the board

There is a large gate for bigger luggage right? Because I've had my share of problems with automatic gates...
netlordr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-04-2009, 19:17   #46
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Yes, each bank of gates has one or two wide gates for prams, buggies, wheelchairs, luggage, etc.
Unread 27-04-2009, 07:46   #47
RadarControl
Regular Poster

I was getting error message "Ticket Failed" all last week. This morning I got error "No Valid Route". The passenger beside me had a monthly with the city centre add-on as well and got "Destination exceeded". She told me last week it was " Ticket Failed" as well. Again was told to pay to get my ticket replaced which I will do on Friday.
RadarControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2009, 09:21   #48
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

"Ticket failed" means that the magnetic stripe can't be read on that occasion. "No valid route" and "Destination exceeded" means there is a software error in the gates, which simply isn't good enough.

It is a complete nonsense that IÉ expects people to pay to rectify the faulty product that they have supplied. The problem will only increase for the next three days, before vanishing again on Friday when new tickets start.
Unread 27-04-2009, 09:54   #49
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is something seriously wrong with the gates in Heuston

I travelled through on the weekend and I'd say more than half the passengers where having trouble of some sort

The gate in both directions didn't really like my ticket, it went in/out/in/out/in before it opened the gate. Same ticket worked perfectly elsewhere, just Heuston is the problem
Unread 28-04-2009, 09:32   #50
RadarControl
Regular Poster

There was potentially a very dangerous situation yesterday evening at the machines for platform 6,7,8. The 17:10 train to Athlone had not boarded when I arrived at 16:55. The space between the machines and doors leading to platform was full of people waiting to board the 17:10. People were also trying to push their way through the queues that were forming on the entry side of the barriers.

If the train from Westport had arrived on time they would have not been able to leave the platform through the crowds waiting to board the 17:10. Of course as the crowd got bigger the IR staff just disappeared. Eventually the 17:10 was cancelled.
Unread 05-05-2009, 13:32   #51
plant43

So it also turns out that if you arrive at Heuston without a ticket and there are no RPU guys around, you are just allowed through by the employees manning the gates.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 13:52   #52
markpb

I arrived in Heuston on the Mayo train on Sunday evening. Most of the gates were set to entry even though all the passengers were exiting at the time. Most people used the few that were open normally although an employee was holding one of the gates permanently open and not inspecting tickets. I'm not quite sure what was going on....
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 16:38   #53
CSL

I'd like to complain about this.

I got the 14:52 Mallow-Heuston. It was only by the grace of God I'd remembered to bring my ticket, normally bin it.

No announcement of barriers on the train at all, is what's annoying me. or the need to retain one's ticket, I mean up till now no-one's given a stuff, fair enough if they want to change it so why not make an announcement, I was on a single so hadn't started in Heuston so no need to keep the ticket, most of the time I'd toss it in the bin on exiting the train. Lucky I did to keep a bookmark this time.

IE - once again you display a well-honed sense of complete ignorance when it comes to customer service. I salute you, few companies keep this up as well and as terrible as you do.

Why do this for the MK4s anyway ? This is an IC run, with a checker onboard
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 19:46   #54
RadarControl
Regular Poster

The machines in Heuston are crap. I purchased a new ticket last Friday and it worked on Friday and this morning. However this evening I got a "No Valid Route". The member of staff on the gate told me as far as he was concerned I didn't have a valid ticket and would have to buy another one.

This is despite me having a monthly ticket to the city centre. Thankfully I will not have to travel by train after this month.
Unread 05-05-2009, 19:49   #55
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarControl View Post
However this evening I got a "No Valid Route".
This is a problem with the system, not your ticket. The system can't quiet understand how you have a ticket for somewhere (Dublin City Centre) that isn't on the Irish Rail passenger network (you can't get a train from Heuston to Dublin City Centre).
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:26   #56
RadarControl
Regular Poster

We all know the problem is with the system and not the ticket. It worked on Friday and yesterday morning. I have monthly ticket with add-on to city centre.

Ticket failed again this morning with "No Valid Route". One of the guys who was with the RPU before the barriers came in wouldn't let me through. Told me if machine says "No Valid Route" then it is not valid ticket.

If I want to complain to IR about this fiasco who should the complaint be addressed to and in what form. I don't want to complain about an individual member of staff because they all are saying I have to buy a new ticket but the whole implementation of the ticket machines.
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:17   #57
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

This is quite clearly a serious problem. If you buy a ticket that is clearly valid and the gate staff don't let you through, you should immediately demand to see a manager. Ultimately, consumer law applies so if the ticket does not work for the purpose for which you purchased it you are entitled to a full refund.
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:21   #58
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
No announcement of barriers on the train at all, is what's annoying me.
I agree it should have been publicised better (and other than at Heuston), but the bylaws do require that you have a ticket available for inspection until you exit the destination station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
Why do this for the MK4s anyway ? This is an IC run, with a checker onboard
It was either all or nothing as regards gating the platforms at Heuston, and quite a lot of trains coming in are commuter services now. And on a separate point, there is quite often no onboard ticket checker on Cork-Dublin trains.
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:48   #59
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
It was either all or nothing as regards gating the platforms at Heuston, and quite a lot of trains coming in are commuter services now. And on a separate point, there is quite often no onboard ticket checker on Cork-Dublin trains.
You would be hard pushed to find one on the 5:05 from Cork
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:02   #60
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

And since the booking office isn't open then, will IÉ fine people at the gates in Heuston for not having a ticket that they couldn't buy?