Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-08-2010, 10:56   #1
ThomasJ

Default Anyone at the aviva yesterday?

Just wondering was anyone at the aviva yesterday? How did it go? How did Irish rail cope with running the services before and after the match?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:25   #2
wobbles
Regular Poster

Irish rail failed to cater for fans on the Rosslare line. The 08.56 train to Connolly had people standing on arrival into Gorey.

I would estimate over 70 boarded this all ready full train at Gorey and loadings were heavy from Arklow, Rathdrum and Wicklow. The three coaches had people standing down the aisles and in corridors.

To add insult the promotional fare was not available and it was 16.80 for the privilage to stand for two hours.
wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:35   #3
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

Was at it for the 1st half and got a lift in so can't really comment.

they had the gates down all the time so you had cross via the underpass
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:40   #4
ThomasJ

Really?

So they keep the gates closed at all times now? Wonder how that affects local traffic?
Unread 01-08-2010, 15:36   #5
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
Really?

So they keep the gates closed at all times now? Wonder how that affects local traffic?
only during the game.

road is closed
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:17   #6
cullenswood
Regular Poster

I heard something about them ushering half the fans down to the Sandymount station? Any truth to this?
cullenswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:40   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The poster on the train clearly states that passengers should travel via Grand Canal Dock, Lansdowne and Sandymount depending on the colour of ticket

Green - Lansdowne
Orange - Lansdowne
Purple - Sandymount
Blue - Grand Canal Dock
Red - Grand Canal Dock

The level crossing at Lansdowne Rd is closed to traffic on match day

The match tickets should clearly state this on rear as well.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:39   #8
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The poster on the train clearly states that passengers should travel via Grand Canal Dock, Lansdowne and Sandymount depending on the colour of ticket
Isn't GCD closed on match days?
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 13:48   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its open before games closed afterwards
Unread 05-08-2010, 19:57   #10
Alan French

I wasn't at the Aviva yesterday (4th) - I was trying to get home just as everyone else was going to the match. At Pearse Station, I had to let three trains pass because they were stuffed full. I eventually got home on the Rosslare train (fortunately, I live in Dun Laoghaire).

Things have always been bad when a match starts just at the end of the evening rush hour. But I've never known it to be so bad that I couldn't get on to three consecutive trains. Or have I just been lucky?

What should be done about this? Is it enough to say the commuters will have to endure the occasional day like that? I don't think so. An hour's delay is a lot for a commuter. It reminds me of the problem with the Rosslare train on the recent bank holiday (mentioned elsewhere). The attitude seems to be "We know there will be more crowds today, but we'll just provide the same capacity as usual and hope that it works out". Not a very clever attitude!

We are already looking for an improved peak-hour service every day (see timetable consultation), and that would give some improvement on match days. Extra trains for match days would obviously help - if there is anything to spare at that time. How about running selected trains non-stop from Pearse to Sydney Parade (thus missing the three stations used by match passengers)? This would separate match goers from commuters, and give the latter some chance.

On a lighter note, when one of the DART trains came into Pearse yesterday, as I queued to get on, I signalled to people inside to move along and fill the empty standing space in the middle of the coach. Nothing happened. When I reached a point where the open door blocked my view of these passengers, I shouted into the coach in my most authoritative voice, "Could you move along and fill the empty space in the middle, please?" It worked! Then I said at normal volume to the people around me, "They can't see that I'm not wearing an orange vest!" As a result, a few more got on to the train, though I wasn't one of them.
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:49   #11
ThomasJ

I was heading home on Wednesday night on the 23.17 Connolly maynooth. It was a packed eight coach 29k.

23.20 wasn't half as full but I presume that was because of the 22.20 Connolly Dundalk

Interesting that most maynooth passengers went to Connolly after the match packed on platform five, crowd control etc pearse wasn't half as bad when train came in lots of seats taken but not overly full.
Unread 06-08-2010, 13:03   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There was clearly insufficient capacity provided before the game in the southbound direction. There were more 8 coach trains around but no extra services.

A lack of crowd control at Connolly meant most boarded the first 4 coaches leaving the rear 4 with seats

Despite the clear plan to have colour coding for the best station to use for access no effort was made to inform people on the train of this by PA

Irish Rail's closure of Grand Canal Dock is in direct conflict with the posters on trains which says it is to be used for certain parts of the ground
Unread 06-08-2010, 13:41   #13
ThomasJ

I was to ask you about that, enough to confuse passengers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

Green - Lansdowne
Orange - Lansdowne
Purple - Sandymount
Blue - Grand Canal Dock
Red - Grand Canal Dock

The level crossing at Lansdowne Rd is closed to traffic on match day

The match tickets should clearly state this on rear as well.
Unread 06-08-2010, 17:28   #14
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan French View Post
On a lighter note, when one of the DART trains came into Pearse yesterday, as I queued to get on, I signalled to people inside to move along and fill the empty standing space in the middle of the coach. Nothing happened. When I reached a point where the open door blocked my view of these passengers, I shouted into the coach in my most authoritative voice, "Could you move along and fill the empty space in the middle, please?" It worked! Then I said at normal volume to the people around me, "They can't see that I'm not wearing an orange vest!" As a result, a few more got on to the train, though I wasn't one of them.
Thats sheeple for you.