Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:57   #1
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Default Annual tickets and Booterstown

Has anyone else had their annual ticket scrambled at Booterstown?

Gf's has stopped working again, this is 3 times since June. Booterstown seems to be the issue, despite IE claiming it's down to DBs ticket readers - she rarely uses the bus, and I'm usually with her then, and my ticket is fine.

Just wondering if anyone else if having issues at Booterstown.

Also, saw mention on here a while ago of a form you can fill in and they'll send your replacement ticket to a nominated station, so you can hand in your old one and get the new one straight away. Would anyone have a name/link for this form, since I'm sure asking for it in most Dart stations will be met with blank stares.

Thanks
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:03   #2
zag
Regular Poster

I use Booterstown most days with an annual bus/rail ticket and haven't noticed any problems.

I have gone through a few tickets, but when they fail I can't point directly at Booterstown as the cause. One time it failed I had just gone through the barriers in Booterstown, noticed there was a stupid 30m wait till the next train and headed out to the Rock Road to get a bus instead. The ticket failed on the bus. However, I don't know whether it was the station reader that broke it and it only showed on the bus or whether it was the bus reader that broke it. My money is on the bus one since I use the same reader in Booterstown almost every day.

On average over the last two years I reckon I have had to replace the card 2 or 3 times a year. This doesn't take account of the 3 replacement cards I got in the space of a week and which failed to work on the first bus or train I used. I was well unhappy that week.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 13:30   #3
drowned_in_sound
New to the board

hi, i recently got my annuel ticket exchanged because it stopped working, however my replacement ticket has stopped working this week too. I suspected it might be because i've been keeping the ticket in my back pocket with my ATM card, credit card etc and something is wiping the magnetic strip or the ink is smudging and damaging it but it's anyone's guess.

The replacement form is available at Irish Rail's travel office on Abbey Street beside the Luas stop/Wynn's Hotel. It's an orange form which is displayed on the front counter along with other claims forms. I have one which i'll try to scan at the weekend and post it here. Once you fill in the form you pick up the phone and the sales person on the other end of the line will bring down your replacement ticket. If you ask at the Dart station about this they'll just tell you to go into Abbey Street.
drowned_in_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 13:37   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Bus validators are the number 1 cause of trouble

If you use the ticket in a train station and then on a bus less than 10 minutes apart it will be refused, but its not broken it will work again

The turnstiles with the yellow ticket slot and black top are the best ones to use.

Unlike atm cards the tickets are far more likely to be damaged by magnetic fields, don't leave your wallet on top of the TV, might be an idea to keep wallet and mobile phone separate as well.

The ticket replacement form should be available at all stations
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 19:59   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
If you use the ticket in a train station and then on a bus less than 10 minutes apart it will be refused, but its not broken it will work again
Is this the usual "ticket won't work more than once in X minutes" restriction?
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 21:09   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Is this the usual "ticket won't work more than once in X minutes" restriction?
Yup, exit validation of course really doesn't help
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 10:42   #7
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Thanks for the replies folks.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 19:24   #8
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Default Tickets in general

They really need to improve the logic on the ticket gates. I get a ticket from Sandymount to Cork some weekends, ticket works at Sandymount, and when I try to get off at Pearse, it says Destination Exceeded. Then on the way back the gate says No Valid Route at Tara Street/Connolly.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote