Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-09-2009, 13:08   #1
fergn

Default Automatic ticket checking at Greystones and Bray

Spotted this morning at Greystones, 2 posters proudly proclaiming 'Automatic ticket checking.... in operation at this station shortly'. I don't see how they are planning to fit them in due to the layout of the station currently they can fit in is 2 gates, maybe 3 at most. Unless they are going to rearrange the place by moving the ticket office etc. Perhaps whilst they are doing it they can get the platform displays to work maybe . Also spotted the same posters at Bray too.
fergn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2009, 13:11   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

On the platform displays, that's a signalling thing; everything south of Bray (and west of Drumcondra) is on a separate signalling system so don't hold your breath
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2009, 13:18   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Greystones has plenty of room last time I checked

Bray has a huge amount of room

Planning applications for both went in over the summer
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2009, 13:21   #4
fergn

If I was to my hold my breath and wait for the displays to work, I probably would die and be long dead before they show anything of interest besides telling me I am at Greystones station! I am not looking forward to the queues in the evening trying to get out!

P.S Why were those new card readers installed on the current turnstiles if they plan was rip they out and install the new gates?

Last edited by fergn : 18-09-2009 at 13:24.
Unread 18-09-2009, 13:37   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Smartcard trial starts shortly, well it should have already started, every station must be equiped

The recovered equipment will be installed elsewhere on the network presumably, at the moment only the bare minmum of equipment has been installed, most station only have one reader equiped gate
Unread 18-09-2009, 13:38   #6
ThomasJ

i've given up on the ones west of drumcondra getting to work any time soon

2011 or 2012 to get displays that went up ten or years before

I wouldnt hold my breath on greystones either
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-09-2009, 19:54   #7
essoII
Regular Poster

Workers have removed the ticket gates today in Greystones Station. Temporary ticket office located just outside the station next to the night exit gate.

What I find peculiar is why the old ticket machines (before being removed today) had just very recently been retrofitted with smartcard readers placed on top of the machine itself.

Is it the intention simply to remove these retrofitted machines to install wiring for the new smartcard reader element? It would seem such a waste if they were installing the gates found at Blackrock, Pearse, Tara etc seeing as they just retrofitted the old gates to do the same job.

The old machines in the station were unreliable are were often out of service. It would seem rather inefficient to have stuck on those readers on the original gates a mere few weeks ago, and then to have newer machines replace them to do the same job, albeit more stylishly

Anyone know anything about what the work involves?
essoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-09-2009, 20:20   #8
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

Something similar appears to be going on in Grand Canal Dock.

Don't get off here myself
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-09-2009, 20:22   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is an extended ticket hall going in as part of the new development.

Grand Canal Dock was the first station with the new exit gates
Unread 23-09-2009, 11:20   #10
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergn View Post
I am not looking forward to the queues in the evening trying to get out!
there's already bad queues to exit because the 2 platform doors and the (single) front door are very narrow, this will just move the queues back to the turnstiles.

the existing turnstiles in GS are generally turned off, and the gate is nearly always open (I've accidently walked onto the train without my annual pass on a few occasions here because I usually go through the gate)

While putting in the temp ticket office, they managed to move the bike racks while fully loaded with bikes, which I thought was fairly impressive.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-09-2009, 15:04   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shweeney View Post
While putting in the temp ticket office, they managed to move the bike racks while fully loaded with bikes, which I thought was fairly impressive.
How many wheels were bent in the process?
Unread 05-10-2009, 20:05   #12
fergn

Greystones Station building now open again. Slightly altered ticket office open and new gates in place. From what I could see there are 4 gates and they were covered in bubble wrap. I expect they will go live possibly at the end of the week or next week. What are the chances that the morning they do go live there will be plenty of ticket problems?
Unread 22-12-2009, 17:52   #13
fergn

It appears that exit validation has begun at Greystones this week, despite the lack of notice. My trusty monthly ticket completely failed today at Greystones in and out and at Pearse in and out. It was doing that weird ticket going in and coming out and going in before showing 'ticket failed'. This ticket has never failed since I got it at the start of the month. I blame the ticket validators at Greystones for the corruption of it!