Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-06-2010, 10:42   #1
chris
Regular Poster

Default Extremely poor ride quality

I was on the 19.00 Enterprise last night from Dublin, sitting at the front end of the second carriage, although I didn't manage to get the carriage number. The ride quality was by far the worst I have ever experienced, with a lot of vertical and lateral movement. There were a lot of nervous glances, and one passenger informed the train host, but unsurprisngly when he came down it had calmed down temporarily. While coming to the carriage in question, he had also continued a passenger count, rather than coming straight there...

Now I'm sure it's not something to worry about, but shouldn't the maintenance regime really be picking up issues like this?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-06-2010, 11:10   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If it was out of the ordinary compared to the usual enterprise rock and roll ride, it was worth complaining about

It sounds fairly serious, given the conductor (19:00 is an NIR train) didn't really seem to care you should report in writing to the Rail Safety Commission what happened (info@rsc.ie). Under EU law it doesn't matter which side of the border an incident happens the RSC in Dublin can investigate

I wager it got better once you left Dundalk

In such circumstances you are entitled to pull the communications cord, http://www.rsc.ie/uploads/RSC/Passenger-Guidelines.pdf

Despite the spin there is much to be done to improve safety on the rail network and the attitude of the conductor and lack of urgency in dealing with the circumstances is worrying. Long standing policy is 'stop and examine' and failure to apply this has had tragic results, Eschede in Germany for instance

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 25-06-2010 at 11:13.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-06-2010, 13:14   #3
chris
Regular Poster

I think I will send them an e-mail on the response time. When the conductor came down he attributed it to the normal poor ride quality on the Enterprise, and said something about wear and tear on the wheels. He did say he would report the issue, so hopefully maintenance will do something about it soon.

Funny enough it did calm down after Dundalk. In fact the worst bit was leaving Dublin until approx Malahide. Is that to do with track quality?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-06-2010, 13:21   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Track north of the border is engineered to a different (typically higher) standard

Track out to Malahide takes a battering as seeing both the greatest number of trains and greatest weight. That said regular passengers will notice the difference between bumpy and something wrong.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote