Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-02-2008, 13:33   #1
Northerner
New to the board

Default Newry to Dublin

Hi there

I have been on the Boards.ie website and was recommended to come on here.

While I think it is a great service, I still find it a bit strange that the Enterprise timetable has not changed to reflect the extension of the Dublin Commuter belt to Newry and beyond.

The first train gets in after 9 and then there is no train after 5pm until 7pm. They aren't exactly commuter/employer friendly.

I heard from someone on the boards.ie site that there may be plans to introduce an earlier train (but may be a few years away yet). Can you shed any light on this?

Also, I can't understand why some of the commuter trains that start in Dundalk refuse to come to Newry to start. I know it's cross border and there will be legal implications, but if Bus Eireann and Ulsterbus can do it on the buses why not IR and NIR?

Thank you.
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 14:59   #2
James Shields

At present Irish Rail commuter railcars aren't fitted with UK safety equipment, so aren't allowed to operate cross border. Only a limited number of NIR cars are equipped for operation south of the border, so similar story there. As far as I know, the safety gear is due to be standardised across Europe in the next few years, which would make this problem disappear.

There is talk of the Enterprise going hourly, but no indication of when that might happen.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 15:12   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There are fairly advanced plans to provide a hourly service Dublin Belfast in a similar fashion to Dublin Cork, its currently at the funding stage once that is in place it should result in a significant improvement

As things stand currently if there was an earlier service it would have to leave Belfast at about 4:50 am, arriving Dublin about 6:55 am which isn't terribly practical

As James has pointed out it simply isn't possible under current safety rules to operate a IE commuter train within Northern Ireland. Irish Rail has fairly generous rights to operate trains cross border as do NIR provided the trains carry the correct safety equipment, the Irish equipment being substantially more advanced than the NIR equipment

However if you have several million to spend you can set up your own rail company and leverage the EU cross border open access rules to run the service yourself, if you need a general manager I'm available

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 06-02-2008 at 15:25.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 20:07   #4
Prof_Vanderjuice

Wasn't a Dublin-Newry commuter service tried in the mid-to-late 1990s?
Prof_Vanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 23:33   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Something was tried but was withdrawn due to, guess what lack of passengers
Unread 07-02-2008, 15:46   #6
tigger1962

well there are quite a few passengers commuting from Newry these days... Some going to Dundalk to get an earlier train... and i was surprised to see IE annual tickets to Newry too! Its not mentioned on their point to point listings on taxsavers.ie! With Newry Station about to be revamped, i understand parking might be an issue, but then one look at Dundalk's carpark and there are a good amount of northern reg cars parked there everyday. It 50/50 for me as to which station is closest to me but I suppose dundalk is cheaper and more chance atthe moment of getting parked!
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 15:54   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

One of those cars belongs to the Nothern and Eastern Manager who is said to live somewhere in south Armagh. You would imagine if it was reasonable he would have sorted a train out.

There is a huge question as to who is responsible is it IE or NIR and more to the point who pays? Since Newry has never had a commuter service to Dublin bar the possibly 6 month one ages ago it is quite different from other towns which already have one and are pushing for more capacity.

IE publicly quote annual tickets as far as Portadown infact, you can get a annual to Derry if you wanted its a dumb computer not a business driven thing
Unread 13-02-2008, 15:48   #8
gm101
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shields View Post
At present Irish Rail commuter railcars aren't fitted with UK safety equipment, so aren't allowed to operate cross border. Only a limited number of NIR cars are equipped for operation south of the border, so similar story there. As far as I know, the safety gear is due to be standardised across Europe in the next few years, which would make this problem disappear.

There is talk of the Enterprise going hourly, but no indication of when that might happen.
all 2900 class railcars that work northern commuter services are fitted with t.p.w.s which is n.i.r required safety equipment.the problem is that the fleet is still to small
gm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2008, 15:59   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm101 View Post
all 2900 class railcars that work northern commuter services are fitted with t.p.w.s which is n.i.r required safety equipment.the problem is that the fleet is still to small
No 29k is fitted with TPWS from our info. The fleet has 29 sets in it. I've stood underneath one in the last 6 months I'd notice the extra bits, stood in the cab, I'd kinda notice the TPWS panel or the space to fit one as you see on the 22k fleet

Given TPWS/AWS is fairly expensive kit, IE would have to issue a tender for it and there isn't anything on etenders, wouldn't make sense to install it anyway, better off doing the locomotive fleet to get around the enterprise availabilty problems

6 22k sets are fitted, but not authorised for operation in NI at this time, not suitable for northern line crush load conditions anyway

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 13-02-2008 at 16:02.
Unread 13-02-2008, 16:02   #10
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1962 View Post
... and i was surprised to see IE annual tickets to Newry too! Its not mentioned on their point to point listings on taxsavers.ie!
Probably because UK residents don't qualify for the Taxsaver scheme....

LC
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2008, 16:05   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It certainly listed Portadown last year
Unread 14-02-2008, 18:10   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois Commuter View Post
Probably because UK residents don't qualify for the Taxsaver scheme....
I don't know the intricacies of the tax situation of frontier workers, but what about people living in say Dundalk and working in Newry?
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 19:43   #13
Craigmore Viaduct
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Something was tried but was withdrawn due to, guess what lack of passengers
That was true then but it's a different situation now! I know many people who commute from Newry to Dublin by rail every day, most people go direct on the Enterprise or go to Dundalk, I know one guy who drives as far as Balbriggan to get the Commuter train from there. Don't understand that myself! I certainly think that a direct commuter service is likely in the coming years, particularly if the line is electrified.
Craigmore Viaduct is offline   Reply With Quote