Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Limerick Ennis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-03-2007, 15:28   #1
Brian.Stokes

Default Sixmilebridge Station

Following on from the Transport 21 meeting. There appears to be a delay in opening the new station at Sixmilebridge.

Clare County Council seem to be holding up the works in some way, and if i'm right i think it was Clare Co Co who were paying/building the station in the first place.

Anyone know what the issue is with Clare Co Co?
Brian.Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2007, 15:35   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Stokes View Post
Anyone know what the issue is with Clare Co Co?
That they don't plan things correctly so much so that the NRA got annoyed with them?

It is likely the CC will have to stump up cash
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2007, 15:38   #3
Brian.Stokes

Ok so that could be a general answer to the issue, but we're they not always paying the bill?
Brian.Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2007, 13:49   #4
Jister

The latest I've seen in the local media is that the station will be open by the end of 2008. This was printed within the last few weeks along with the usual councillors trying to get a few more stations open along the line, even though they would probably be unviable, like Ballycar and Cratloe.
Jister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 19:03   #5
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

the only way more stations should be built on the Ennis is if there is an increase in line speed - I suspect the car/rail equation is getting pretty marginal given the road improvements.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 07:42   #6
Jister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
the only way more stations should be built on the Ennis is if there is an increase in line speed - I suspect the car/rail equation is getting pretty marginal given the road improvements.
They are always working on the line, closing farmers gates, installing new railway gets with electric signals etc. They were at something last night near me, some type of track machines going up and down the line after the last train passes, they are at at it every night at the moment.
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:21   #7
Jister

I got the train from Ennis to Limerick last Saturday for the first time. Actual time was about 32 minutes even though its timetabled for 40. There was a delay of a few minutes as we crawled through the Limerick yard from the Childers road in. Sixmilebridge is roughly halfway and if you can go from Sixmilebridge to Limerick in 15 minutes then you are on a winner, because with a car it takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the Coonagh roundabout and it can be another 15-20 minutes into town.

This was my first time travelling this line and overall I was impressed, but they need to sort access to Limerick station so that the journey can be brought down. When I was going home the Ennis train arriving appeared to be delayed by the shunting of an IC train in the station, hopefully the IC railcars will end this problem.

There was a lot of new stock parked around the station, along with many container wagons and other bits and pieces. Surely the can run a third track straight in from Ennis directly so that they can speed things up a bit?
Unread 26-06-2007, 14:36   #8
ccos

Quote:
Increasing frequency of the trains to 30mins would be the equivelant of doubling line speed for most users as you wouldn't have to sit around for an hour+ because the only train to get you in for a 12 o'clockappointment leaves Ennis at 10am or you finsh work at 3pm but the first available train is a 16:20
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 21:59   #9
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

ccos - I imagine it would but is there enough passing loops to do this?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:03   #10
ccos

Build them, its not rocket science the Victorians could do it, hell I was on a train in Albania and they have them.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-01-2008, 18:46   #11
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

I emailed Iarnrod Eireann about when Sixmilebridge railway station would be re-opening and they replied back stating that it was still in an "early design stage". Sixmilebridge railway station was supposed to re-open this year. That does'nt look likely. This station's re-opening was announced in November 2005. Clare County Council are responsible for the planned station and car park facilities. Any news regarding the re-opening of this station? looks like clare co. council have done nothing to move this project forward....
Tadhg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-01-2008, 21:26   #12
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Given that Clare County Council is close to being abolished for failure to agree a budget, I think they have bigger worries.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2008, 20:28   #13
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

I emailed the Clare County Co. planning department about Sixmilebridge Railway Station and eventually they got back to me last friday stating that they are planning "reopening of the station during the 2008/ 2009 financial years.Further details will be relased to the public when the project requirements,construction programme and costings are finalised"

I imagine so that at some point late in 2009 or later that Sixmilebridge Railway Station will re-open.
Unread 10-02-2008, 00:36   #14
PoxyShamrock
New to the board

What state is the station in now or is there even one?
Will it be opened on the same site as the original station?
PoxyShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 00:40   #15
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyShamrock View Post
What state is the station in now or is there even one?
Will it be opened on the same site as the original station?
The old railway station is still there and I think it is privately owned and was lived in til recently anyway.

The old railway station may be re-opened but they need to buy adjoining land for parking spaces. It's all still in the design stage and unlikely to be opened any time soon as Clare County Council have other priorities.
Unread 21-05-2008, 13:00   #16
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Saturday, May 17, 2008
Sixmilebridge train station on track?

It's hoped that the new Sixmilebridge Train Station will be on track to coincide with the re-opening of the Western Rail Corridor.

As part of the Western Rail line, commuters in Clare will benefit from a new Railway stop in the village which is due to get underway after the former train Station is acquired by Iarnrod Eireann.

Local Councillor John Crowe told Clare FM News that he’s hoping work on the station and platform will soon be underway.

http://www.clarefm.ie/newsCNU/news.asp
Unread 27-05-2008, 13:07   #17
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

http://www.limerickleader.ie/shannon...for.4113169.jp

Quote:
Station house purchase boost for West rail link

Date: 22 May 2008
By Petula Martyn
THE former Sixmilebridge railway station house has been bought by Clare County Council to facilitate the Western Rail Corridor, after a gap of over 30 years since the last scheduled services on the line.
There was a delay in acquiring the property because the railway house had been a private residence until now.

Local Councillor John Crowe has welcomed the acquisition of the house and lands saying "there's light at the end of the tunnel" for the project which is funded by the government as part of Transport 21.
A new platform will be built around the station house and an entrance to the new facility will be completed by April 2009.

Acting senior planner with Clare County Council, John Bradley, said the local authority had worked in close co-operation with Iarnrod Eireann with regard to the reopening of the former railway station.

"Iarnrod Eireann has advised that funding has been provided in the 2008/2009 budgetary cycles for the upgrading of infrastructural requirements and it is anticipated that the passenger rail service will be open some time during 2009

"No fixed dates are available for the scheduled opening of this facility," he added.

There are also plans to provide a park and ride facility at Shannon Airport to the station. "It will open up the country for everyone," Cllr Crowe said.

"It will be big for the Shannon area to have a connection from the airport to the station. I have been 12 years campaigning for this and I'm thrilled that work is now progressing quickly."

It is hoped that more credence will be given to calls for a rail link between the airport and Limerick city when Sixmilebridge railway station is fully operational.

"The Airport Authority will realise how many people are using it. They will have live figures and it will strengthen their hand when they go looking for a direct rail link from Shannon to Limerick," Cllr Crowe said.

Meanwhile, trackwork on the Western Rail Corridor is well underway and is on schedule according to Iarnrod Eireann. Sixmilebridge will be one of seven stations along the route between Limerick and Galway. The line will also serve Ennis, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, Oranmore and Athenry.

It will provide a range of inter-regional services currently not available while promoting balanced regional development.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 27-05-2008 at 13:13.
Unread 27-05-2008, 13:08   #18
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Good to hear they are finally moving ahead with the re-opening of the railway station in Sixmilebridge.

There already is an excellent local Shannon and express bus service to Limerick bus and train station and also a good bus service between Shannon and Ennis, they should encourage people using Shannon Airport/Shannon to use these bus services if they wish to connect with the train.
Unread 18-08-2008, 21:13   #19
Jister

Any update on the station at Sixmilebridge going ahead or when it will be open?
Unread 23-09-2008, 12:39   #20
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jister View Post
Any update on the station at Sixmilebridge going ahead or when it will be open?
The station in Sixmilebridge will re-open in May 2009 more than likely. IE are having an information evening this evening on the Limerick-Galway Line:
http://www.clarefm.ie/news.php?section=news

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Li...-on.4504840.jp

Limerick to Galway line on track for next May

Date: 18 September 2008
By David Hurley
FOLLOWING the successful roll out of the Limerick to Nenagh commuter rail service last month it has been confirmed that direct train services between Limerick and Galway are expected to be up and running by May 2009.
Up to 14 daily services will operate between the two cities when the new service commences following the completion of the €106.5 million redevelopment of the Ennis-Athenry rail line.

"It is very good news and it will help us to form another leg of the Atlantic Corridor which will give train services from Cork, Limerick and Ennis through to Galway," said Jim Gallivan, business development manager, with Iarnrod Eireann in Limerick.

The existing single track between Ennis and Athenry is currently being replaced as part of the project, which is being funded under Transport 21.

Around 18 miles of track have already been replaced and the remainder will be upgraded by early next year at which point testing of the track will begin.

Mr Gallivan said he hopes there will be seven daily services in each direction when the service begins in ten months' time. The trains will serve Limerick, Ennis, Athenry, and Galway, as well as new stations at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, and Oranmore.

It is over 30 years since there was a regular rail service between Limerick and Galway and the new service also promises to provide passengers with connections to Heuston Station in Dublin.