Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-03-2009, 09:11   #201
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB LOCO
Don't get your point about commuters skipping DART stops. Of course commuters will board any train that they can, I used to myself, but if the train no longer stops at Bray, Dun Laoghaire etc the option is not there.
All trains going through Bray must stop there. It is a major station. Dun Laoghaire is another major station, where all trains stop. I give preference to the Rosslare train if it's a choice to Dun Laoghaire/Bray/Greystones over haggling through Booterstown, Sandycove, and Shankill on the DART. I'm sure many others do the same.

Quote:
What has 1909/2009 got to do with anything?
It's in reference to the third-world single line track system, still in use in a lot of the country. Having to wait for trains to arrive before leaving because of the track layout, is a joke. It belongs in the flintstone age or third-world countries, not in a EU country where so much money has been invested in the railway system.

You wouldn't tolerate a single lane motorway, so why tolerate a single lane track?
Unread 29-03-2009, 12:16   #202
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

It's in reference to the third-world single line track system, still in use in a lot of the country. Having to wait for trains to arrive before leaving because of the track layout, is a joke. It belongs in the flintstone age or third-world countries, not in a EU country where so much money has been invested in the railway system.

You wouldn't tolerate a single lane motorway, so why tolerate a single lane track?

There are many thousands of miles of single track railways throughout Western Europe and they operate successfully - it's called operating to a timetable - novel idea??. The idea of doubling the DSER is nonsense and shows that you have little appreciation of the terrain through which the line runs, the costs associated with such a massive proposal and the return on same - we not talking a few packs of Hornby track!
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2009, 12:36   #203
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the move View Post
All trains going through Bray must stop there. It is a major station. Dun Laoghaire is another major station, where all trains stop.

Stopping at Bray YES, stopping at Dun Laoighaire NO. The whole point of an intercity journey is to cut out the amount of needless stops along a DART/Commuter route with the first major town being the first port of call I.E Bray.

It's the same with Sligo;first stop is Maynooth and indeed with the majority of InterCity journeys ex Heuston, the first stop is Kildare Town.

Up until a few years ago the Rosslare train's first stop was always Bray. Then the fools put commuter carriages on the line and gave them the excuse to stop at numerous stations on the DART line.

Dun Laoighaire is for DART and COMMUTER stops only.

Last edited by sublimity : 29-03-2009 at 12:39.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2009, 17:34   #204
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Stopping at Bray YES, stopping at Dun Laoighaire NO. First major town being the first port of call I.E Bray.

It's the same with Sligo;first stop is Maynooth,Heuston the first stop is Kildare Town.
I totally agree Bray YES, Dun Laoghaire NO same with Pearse & Tara Street. Connolly right through to Bray no stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the move View Post
Single track isn't really the issue, You just need good timing. Trains on the line could go faster say Rosslare to Dublin 2hr30mins & Gorey to Dublin 1hr30mins. Its all there the line has the potential already just if IE would let the trains lose.

News trains, New signaling, Give the customers something to remember after 5years of the Commuter trains.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2009, 10:41   #205
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Dun Laoghaire is the biggest town on the entire route really and a ferry port, the stop should be there, Tara Street is the one to drop. Pearse stays given the interconnector is coming
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2009, 20:29   #206
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Stopping at Bray YES, stopping at Dun Laoighaire NO. The whole point of an intercity journey is to cut out the amount of needless stops along a DART/Commuter route with the first major town being the first port of call I.E Bray.

It's the same with Sligo;first stop is Maynooth and indeed with the majority of InterCity journeys ex Heuston, the first stop is Kildare Town.

Up until a few years ago the Rosslare train's first stop was always Bray. Then the fools put commuter carriages on the line and gave them the excuse to stop at numerous stations on the DART line.

Dun Laoighaire is for DART and COMMUTER stops only.
Maynooth, Kildare and Bray are the outer ends of their respective commuter lines (yes, I realise that some commuter services go beyond those points).

7, 7a, 45a, 46a, 46x, 58c, 59, 75, 111, 746 buses all operate to Dún Laoghaire.
Unread 31-03-2009, 12:27   #207
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Dun Laoghaire is the biggest town on the entire route really and a ferry port, the stop should be there, Tara Street is the one to drop. Pearse stays given the interconnector is coming

Totally disagree Mark. Dun Laoghaire is a suburb of Dublin. Having it as an Intercity stop would be taking away the whole concept of the word 'Intercity'.

A Lot of people think Bray should be the first stop and rightly so. I agree with Pearse being a stop though.
Unread 31-03-2009, 14:39   #208
ThomasJ

You seem to be forgetting those folks who work along the southern DART line especially seen as how bad the timetable. For those folks that extra stop is a lifeline.

Forget about looking for a 20-minute gap between the Rosslare train and the DART before it because if this stop is removed these people need a connection to Bray or the city!

I remember working in blackrock and my evening train to maynooth would fly pass, it would annoy alot of people. So I had to travel to town to make the connection. No bother seen as though MY LAST TRAIN WAS NOT 18:30!!!

Its not fair when a timetable is so infrequent to have to put the onus on people to rely on a connecting train with a fairly big distance!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 31-03-2009 at 15:27.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2009, 14:59   #209
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
You seem to be forgetting those folks who work along the southern DART line especially seen as how bad the timetable. For those folks that extra stop is a lifeline.
The 2 evening commuter trains to Gorey will look after them folk won't they?
Unread 31-03-2009, 15:01   #210
ThomasJ

Quote:
The 2 evening commuter trains to Gorey will look after them folk won't they?
True but given that the last train heading ESE will be 7ish there should still be a connection.

There is still a perception that people finish at 5. Even think of those passengers coming from cherrywood/leopardstown and sandyford.
Unread 31-03-2009, 15:11   #211
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Maybe an exception could be made for the last train to Rosslare.

The rest: First stop Bray.
Unread 31-03-2009, 15:19   #212
ThomasJ

Quote:
Maybe an exception could be made for the last train to Rosslare.

The rest: First stop Bray.
Fair enough!

I think its an absolute disgrace that with services such as the Rosslare is still so backwards that anyone finishing after the evening peak hour cannot get a train that way. At least Bus eireann have woken up and realised that!

10:00pm to gorey should be the last!
Unread 31-03-2009, 16:36   #213
DangerM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Eh no thanks that's my stop!! I'd never make it from work to Connolly or Pearse for the 16.43 back home so would end up working an extra half hour each day until the next one. What would you gain cutting out that stop, 3 mins maybe?Its blackrock and lansdowne that could go!
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2009, 16:41   #214
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerM View Post
Eh no thanks that's my stop!! I'd never make it from work to Connolly or Pearse for the 16.43 back home so would end up working an extra half hour each day until the next one. What would you gain cutting out that stop, 3 mins maybe?Its blackrock and lansdowne that could go!
Theres a difference when someone has a 2 minute connection with frequent services to get from tara street to connolly or pearse or someone who has to take 20-30 minutes to get from Sandymount or Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire to Pearse/Connolly or Bray. [ps The Rosslare train doesn't stop at Blackrock or Lansdowne in the evening!]

There seems to be a perception that everything happens 9-5 in Dublin City Centre! How backwards is that thought! Connolly/Tara/Pearse or Bray is not the best option for everyone!
Certainly not for someone working in Sandyford!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 31-03-2009 at 17:04.
Unread 01-04-2009, 07:29   #215
DangerM
Regular Poster

The intercity passes through Bray at 08:05 and the next DART from Bray is then 08:10 so can people who need to get off before Pearse not swap over? The Intercity gets into Pearse at 08:43 and the DART at 08:49 so there's not a huge difference?
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:18   #216
markpb

My gf got the 8.20am Heuston to Westport this morning only to discover that the seat displays were turned off (although leaflets were left on the seats) and that her seat didn't exist. There were no staff on the train and the man on the platform (who later turned out to be a ticket inspector) just waved and told her to sit anywhere she could get a seat.

One short chat with the customer care staff in Heuston later and it turns out that that particular carriage is numbered properly (1-36) while the rest are numbered wrong (9-45) and the reservation system assumes they're all 9-36 so they put leaflets on the seats so passengers should know anyone with a reservation in A can sit anywhere in A.

*rolls eyes*

How hard is it to get this stuff right?
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 13:21   #217
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Problems continue on the Dublin Belfast route, ok so the trains no longer breakdown but everything else seems to go wrong

7:35 Dublin Belfast 10th April, the curious case of which coach is coach D, is the one next to C or the one two coaches further down with the D label? The information screen wasn't working and not one single announcement was made throughout the journey

16:10 Belfast Dublin, same train so repeat the coach D problem, no seat reservation cards, but the information screen and pa was working
Unread 28-07-2009, 15:03   #218
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Was on the 1100 Heuston-Cork this morning. Packed to the gills, primarily due to the €10 fares one assumes. With coaches C, D, and E almost booked out, there really needed to be someone directing people without reservations to the far end of the train. Train host was, however, camped in first class for most of it (there's money to be had there from selling upgrades).

There were at least three sets of people laying claim to seats C7 and C8 as well, although they had no names on them.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-07-2009, 15:06   #219
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

To be fair its probably due to the U2 concert, Cork folks tend to stay the night and travel down the following day

The entrance on platform 5 in Heuston puts all passengers facing a door on coach C
Unread 28-07-2009, 15:11   #220
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
The entrance on platform 5 in Heuston puts all passengers facing a door on coach C
Indeed. Surely it's not too much of an inconvenience to stand a person (or even a display board) there to tell people without a reservation to head down to carriage F?

I don't usually have a reservation (my journey Sandymount to Cork isn't bookable) and I go down to the right carriage, but surely it would reduce customer inconvenience to do this?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote