Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-04-2010, 10:34   #1
Locky
New to the board

Default Car Parking

Does anyone know why IR staff don't have to pay for car parking when the rest of us do? In Dundalk particularly staff cars occupy all spaces directly outside the front door and usually the 'set down only' areas as well.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2010, 10:39   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The revenue commissioners would like to know about that....
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2010, 10:46   #3
Locky
New to the board

I've noticed it in Connolly as well - IR staff put an orange/hi vis jacket over the steering wheel and off they go...
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2010, 10:52   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There are two classifications

1. Staff based on site who have guaranteed parking fall under the revenue commissioner car park space tax. But are they paying? These spaces are marked clearly on the station plans.

2. Safety critical staff attending an incident should be afforded free parking, but those are rare once off issues.

Incidentally I have had the wonderful experience of watching the CEO of IE struggling with the pay and display machine
Unread 27-04-2010, 11:03   #5
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

The Parking Levy only applies in Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Waterford, so it wouldn't have a bearing in Dundalk.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2010, 11:09   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There are BIK considerations if free parking is provided and guaranteed.
Unread 27-04-2010, 11:49   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I don't think the section of the Finance Act providing for the parking levy has been commenced, or that free parking is otherwise a benefit in kind. Also, people on shift work are exempt from it.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 13:53   #8
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Default Mullingar free car park

Since IR started to charge daily at the station in Mullingar I use the free car park (2 min walk down the road) but I notice a lot of glass on the ground there frequently. I wonder is it from broken bottles or car windows?

I've lost a badge and a petrol cap recently and it really bugs the hell out of me. Anyone else any 'security' issues with the free car park?
Unread 11-05-2010, 14:23   #9
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Since there's no security on most IÉ car parks, would there be any difference?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 14:46   #10
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
Since there's no security on most IÉ car parks, would there be any difference?
Very unlikely. I was just wondering was it only my car that had been interfered with or is it something that has happened to others. I dont like the idea that I am seen as a 'parts supplier' to someone else
Unread 11-05-2010, 17:06   #11
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymore View Post
Very unlikely. I was just wondering was it only my car that had been interfered with or is it something that has happened to others. I dont like the idea that I am seen as a 'parts supplier' to someone else
The area around the station and canal in Mullingar has been a scumbag magnet for decades so what can you expect!
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:12   #12
Ballymore
Regular Poster

I expect my car to be left alone, probably a bit too much to expect these days is it
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:59   #13
CharlieBranch
New to the board

Just wondering with the current weather we are having and the fact that some people (depending where you are located) now have to pay a levy for using the car parks, is there a responsibility for the contractor to ensure that the car park is a safe place to drive/park?
CharlieBranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 16:59   #14
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Well there is definitely nothing being done in Mullingar station car park to make it any safer, in fact it's crazy these days as there are major 'upgrading works' ongoing and so the spaces available have decreased dramatically. People are parking anywhere they can get.

The fact that you have to pay for it would suggest some responsibility for the way people drive in and out too - particularly in the dark evenings - as some people are downright dangerous - even without the snow.

Another question I have is why can cars - especially taxis - park right at the front steps in Mullingar while a trainload of people disembark. Surely this is against safety regulations - what would happen if there was a need for passengers to get in or out of the station quickly if there was a crash or fire. They are also potentially a hindrance for emergency services.
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:08   #15
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Parking in front of the exit has been a problem at Edgeworthstown for at least the last 20 years. The most serious offenders are Mammies on Fridays collecting the precious offspring home from college. It does my head in and is particularly dangerous in this kind of weather but life is too short to get worked up about it.

I've come to the conclusion that in general, Irish people are just particularly ignorant when it comes to parking and they cannot see why they should let other peoples' safety get in the way of their own convenience.

This morning in Edgeworthstown there was a Ford Mondeo "parked" diagonally across three spaces presumably because he was late for the train. That deserves clamping. The other thing I've noticed is a regular parking in the disabled spot because the markings are frozen over.

But it wouldn't kill the car park operators to at least clear a path for pediestrians. The same is true about platforms. These are cleared in the inner suburban stations but no effort at all has been made between Kilcock and Edgeworthstown. There is a real chance of somebody ending up in front of a train with the way things are now.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-12-2010, 14:16   #16
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Parking in the overflow (free) car park at Mullingar is crazy these days. People just abandon their cars anywhere they feel like and even though I have a small car it can be a tight squeeze to get out of the space sometimes. God help anyone with the big BMW's parked there :-)
Unread 19-01-2011, 10:11   #17
Ballymore
Regular Poster

02 Renault parked 'illegally' (or at best extremely inconsiderately) caused a bit of a fuss yesterday evening by blocking at least 5 cars in the corner of the free car park in Mullingar. I seen one guy barely squeeze past in a small car but it was very very tight indeed.
Unread 19-01-2011, 10:47   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The nice people in NCPS have no problem coming out to clamp people, call the number and wait for an operator (last option in menu)

After all if there is an inconsiderate passenger parking as to obstruct, the car can be quite correctly clamped regardless of paying. You can be sure they won't do that again
Unread 19-01-2011, 13:01   #19
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Does clamping not just leave the obstruction there longer? Do they have towing facilities?
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-01-2011, 13:58   #20
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats the problem but its the only way to educate some people.