Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-03-2010, 21:19   #1
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default Enterprise trolley service - southerners being ripped off?

I was looking at the IE site and pricing for Enterprise catering based off a discussion about train food pricing on another board and noticed the file name included "2008". Hmm sez I.

The STG-EUR differential on the menu is about 1.40 whereas the current exchange is about 1.12. I put it down to IE incompetence until I saw the same prices on Translink.

Can anyone confirm that this pricing remains in effect, and maybe have a whisper to the SBP if we're all still friends about this potential "ripoff Ireland" story?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-03-2010, 21:52   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Mark was quoted about this in the Sunday Times last month, in fact.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-03-2010, 21:58   #3
dowlingm

Ah - I didn't see anything on the media or news sections so thought it might not be on the RUI radar.
Unread 22-03-2010, 22:59   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its just hard to get a digital copy of the Sunday Times. Jan Battles is the journalist, Sunday 7th or 13th not sure which

The price list on the Translink website is out of date, note how some items have different conversion ratios

We are working on a very special project about Enterprise more details in a few months, but its going to be very special
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-03-2010, 02:44   #5
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
We are working on a very special project about Enterprise more details in a few months, but its going to be very special
What - like terminating it to stop the nutsos in Norn Iron disrupting service south of Dundalk? Oh I kid, I kid.
Unread 09-11-2011, 00:40   #6
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

I see this practice is still going on and they are making a bigger profit than people think. The drink is from the North too so they buy it at a lower VAT rate than here. Next time im paying in Sterling.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 09:32   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

VAT is irrelevant because they claim back input VAT on their purchases and sales of food and beverages for immediate consumption on vehicles operating an international transport service are VAT-free.
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:25   #8
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Yet the pub is cheaper for drink. It's the same practice as Shannon heritage. €15 into Bunratty and then charging €2.20 for a tea and over €4 for a sandwich. The prices only go one way and that is up. I wonder what tourists must think of these prices it seems really off putting. And more insulting the produce is being sought up North at cheaper rates and sold on to us at ridiculous high prices. Like Dublin-Cork can you bring your own drink on the train?
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 15:47   #9
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

You may bring and consume your own food and beverages (including alcohol) onto any Irish Rail service. Irish Rail attempts to designate DART and Commuter services, some GAA match specials, and Waterford line Sunday services as alcohol-free, but I don't think it has the legal right to do so.

NIR, on the other hand, prohibits consumption of alcohol on everything other than the Enterprise.
Unread 09-11-2011, 17:19   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
You may bring and consume your own food and beverages (including alcohol) onto any Irish Rail service. Irish Rail attempts to designate DART and Commuter services, some GAA match specials, and Waterford line Sunday services as alcohol-free, but I don't think it has the legal right to do so.
One still has to obey the notices of the company and (reasonable) instructions of staff.
Unread 09-11-2011, 19:31   #11
Jamie2k9

Waterford line needs the ban. Although not enforeced very well they still had 3 passengers arested only 2 weeks ago.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:14   #12
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
One still has to obey the notices of the company and (reasonable) instructions of staff.
Says what law? (Not being smart, but I can't find anything in the bye-laws more specific than

Quote:
18. (1) No person shall take or cause to be taken on to or into, or cause or allow to remain upon or in, the railway or any lift or vehicle, if requested not to do so by an authorised person, any animal, bird, article or thing which by reason of its nature, dimensions, weight or for any other reason whatsoever is in the opinion of such authorised person likely to cause or in fact does cause annoyance or injury to any passenger or damage to any property or an obstruction in any lift or in any corridor or gangway of any vehicle.
) and it's a stretch to say a can of Heineken would cause annoyance or injury to a passenger unless someone flings it around the carriage.
Unread 10-11-2011, 16:40   #13
dowlingm

18. (1) No person shall take or cause to be taken on to or into, or cause or allow to remain upon or in, the railway or any lift or vehicle, if requested not to do so by an authorised person, any ... thing which ... for any ... reason whatsoever is in the opinion of such authorised person likely to cause ... annoyance ... to any passenger.

Loads of leeway there
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:18   #14
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Again, the thing is not going to cause annoyance. The behaviour of the person after he drinks the contents of the thing is. I can't see this one standing up in court.
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:55   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Same goes for the Rail Safety Act intoxicated section
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 21:40   #16
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Did anything come of this by the way?