Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-04-2008, 18:35   #1
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default What's going on?

Just noticed a lot of 5-15 minute delays in the morning and evening preak in the last 2 weeks. Have to sit outside Connolly in the morning, and sit south of Malahide in the evening. Never any announcements...any ideas what going on?
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-04-2008, 09:05   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

you should have an extra cup of tea at home and come in on time so.
Unread 17-04-2008, 19:33   #3
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Door fault

Heard from AA Roadwatch there was a door fault which stopped all southbound services around 8.30. Of course nothing on the LED displays, no driver announcements or no platform announcements.
I think things catch back up for the arrival of the 9am Belfast service, but that's too late for me. I just which the communication would improve.
Unread 22-04-2008, 21:43   #4
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

god bless motorists, what would we know without them...
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-04-2008, 08:40   #5
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Well there was plenty of it "going on" this morning.

Our train, due to arrive in Pearse at 0821 crawled in at 0841 after a 10 minute delay at Howth Junction and presumably being stuck behind a dart for the rest of the journey in.

No announcements. The only outward sign that anything was amiss was when we arrived at Pearse, we got the "delayed" part in the "The next train at platform one is the delayed....."

I have heard that so often that sometimes I wonder if announcements exist without it.

If this announcement is used, does that mean that the service does not make it into the "X% of trains ran on time" posters?
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-04-2008, 09:30   #6
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

There was a mechanical failure at Pearse this morning.

Dont have any details, the driver announced it as the 07:58 Maynooth Bray was stuck outside Tara street for 10 mins.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-04-2008, 18:25   #7
weary rushian
New to the board

There was plenty of it going on yesterday evening too! The 17.28 Pearse-Drogheda train stood for 10 minutes at Connolly station without explanation from Irish Rail. Then a very muffled announcement was made which only a few people heard and then people started to get off the train. A Maynooth train pulled in and the people from that got on the Drogheda train and vice versa. (Only by then at least 100 people couldn't actually get on the train as it was so packed) I eventually got home over half an hour later than usual, and no explanation or apology from Irish Rail.
And as for the 16.16 Pearse Drogheda train on Fridays-4 carriages when every other day there are 8. If animals were transported in such conditions there would be a huge outcry.
weary rushian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-04-2008, 19:20   #8
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Plot tickens

Despite only 1 announcement during a 25+ minute delay, here's what I managed to piece together:

The 07.18 ex Drogheda (Pearse 08.21) suffered a door failure at Howth Junction. This same service failed again at Clontarf Road (Not 100% about this, as this was not a scheduled stop).
But the door failed again at Pearse.
So some 40 minutes later, the Drogheda service that should have arrived into Connolly at 08.36, made it to Tara st @ 09.05. I gave up at that point.
As you would expect, no announcements on the platforms. Not sure about the displays.
To make it even worse the 07.16 Dundalk-Bray service I was on, arrived as a 6 carriage service. It was already leaving passengers behind at Skerries, but it got much worse down the line. No explanation, no apology. Just same old poor customer service
PS- Irish Rail, despite having suburban services running >30 minutes late were still claiming delays were only maximum 10 minutes late. I rang the information desk at Connolly at 09.10, who confirmed this is what they were telling passengers.

ps - spent 10 mins stuck south of Malahide this evening. Not a single announcement....

Last edited by Rashers : 23-04-2008 at 19:24.