Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-08-2008, 21:56   #1
ThomasJ

Default Weather watch

I have to open this thread because i have been so depressed by the amount of rainfall this week and the amount of flooding.

Funny enough the northside of dublin got it bad but the southside didnt seem to have it tom bad.

It wasnt too bad today but there is already flooding warnings out for this weekend.

This weather gets you down though doesnt it! Any flooding stories?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-08-2008, 22:42   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

my washing machine broke flooding the utility room.

on removing it we found a rats' nest.

"Oh", we said "look, he loves pizza and teabags"

he then retreated into the boiler and ate rat poison like it was going out of fashion.

He used to eyeball me. I liked him.

Then, one morning, he was all dead. So I scooped him up and put him in the bin.

I shed a tear, for he was a worthy adversary.

Last weekend I saw raw ****e explode from a manhole on Parkgate Street.

Oh how I laughed.
Unread 14-08-2008, 22:52   #3
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
my washing machine broke flooding the utility room.

on removing it we found a rats' nest.

"Oh", we said "look, he loves pizza and teabags"

he then retreated into the boiler and ate rat poison like it was going out of fashion.

He used to eyeball me. I liked him.

Then, one morning, he was all dead. So I scooped him up and put him in the bin.

I shed a tear, for he was a worthy adversary.

Last weekend I saw raw ****e explode from a manhole on Parkgate Street.

Oh how I laughed.
Ah a lovely story! Im depressed no more and ill sit in my armchair and with werthers originals aplenty i will tell my grandchildren that story.
Unread 15-08-2008, 08:32   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Weather related.

The Irish Times have an editorial today highlighting how the storm drains beside roads in (rainy!) Spain are built to a higher standard than here.

Not one bit surprising of course.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2008, 11:44   #5
Brian Condron

The Neptune Comedy Club show in The Flowing Tide on Abbey Street has been cancelled tonight due to the venue being flooded. Is it just me who sees the irony?
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2008, 12:51   #6
ThomasJ

The fun continues- from the met office

http://www.met.ie/

Quote:

Tonight

Heavy and thundery rain in the west and southwest this evening, will spread countrywide overnight, with some local spot flooding. Lowest temperatures 10 to 13 degrees.

Tomorrow

The heavy rain will give way to occasional showers over Munster tomorrow, but will continue for much of the day elsewhere. But further heavy and at times thundery bursts will affect the East, North and Northwest, and this will lead to further flooding. Highest temperatures 14 to 19 degrees
Unread 15-08-2008, 12:54   #7
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Condron View Post
The Neptune Comedy Club show in The Flowing Tide on Abbey Street has been cancelled tonight due to the venue being flooded. Is it just me who sees the irony?
I just thought they would go with the flow! sorry! bad one i know. Thats classic though! i see it myself
Unread 30-01-2012, 08:58   #8
ThomasJ

Looks like we (the east of the country in particular) could be heading into a period of colder weather with chance of hail sleet and snow over the coming days.

Could be an interesting week!

Quote:
Latest Met Eireann forecast

Tomorrow Cloudy on Tuesday with rain in many areas and some sleet in parts of the north and east with some snow on higher ground. Some drier periods will develop in places later in the day. Very cold in Ulster and Leinster and turning cold everywhere by evening.Outlook Very cold weather in store for much of the rest of this week with predominately easterly winds.Rain, sleet and some wet snow will clear southwards on Tuesday night and it will become very cold with clearing skies and temperatures falling to between 0 and -3 degrees with frost and icy conditions developing.Wednesday and Thursday will be very cold dry days in many areas but temperatures only rising to 2 to 4 degrees in the afternoons highest in far western areas. And there is a risk that some wintry showers of hail or snow may affect parts of the east and south coasts at times.Very cold, frosty, icy nights with temperatures plummeting to between -2 to -7 degrees and the danger of some freezing fog also. There is a good deal of uncertainty about the prospects for the following few days as there will be a battle going on between the very cold air coming from the east and the milder air coming in off the Atlantic. The latest indications suggest it will become less cold especially in western areas during Friday and Saturday with rain moving in off the Atlantic and spreading eastwards, however a danger exists that this could bring some snow further east if the cold air persists in more midland and eastern areas.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 30-01-2012 at 09:03.
Unread 17-01-2013, 13:11   #9
ThomasJ

any bets on if the new timetable "will go out the window" on sunday or monday

Quote:
Issued at 17 January 2013 - 11:06
Weather Advisory

Very heavy rain will spread into parts of Munster and Connacht on Thursday and will spread eastwards during the afternoon and evening. There will be some heavy falls with a risk of localised flooding in parts of Munster and Leinster.

The rain will be accompanied by strong to near gale force and gusty southeasterly winds.

There is a risk that the rain will turn to sleet and snow later on Thursday night and towards dawn. Parts of north Leinster and Ulster will be most at risk, with further snowfall during Friday with accumulations mostly on higher ground.

Staying very cold on Saturday for much of the country with a further threat of wintry showers. Very cold, frosty and icy at times

Valid from: 11:00 17th Jan 2013
Valid to: 20:00 19th Jan 2013
outlook

Quote:
Friday night: Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow over Ulster, northeast Connacht and northeast Leinster will gradually die out and clear spells will develop generally with just a few rain or hail showers in the west. A very cold night with a widespread severe air and ground frost and icy patches.
Saturday: Many areas will have a mainly dry day but some heavy, wintry showers will occur. A very cold day with top temperatures only 2 to 6 degrees and there will be a widespread severe or very severe air and ground frost Saturday night with icy patches.
Sunday: A bitterly cold day; highest temperatures only 1 to 5 degrees in a strong to gale force easterly wind. Many areas will have a dry morning, just a few wintry showers in the east and south. Heavy rain and sleet will move in across Munster and south Leinster during the afternoon and evening turning to sleet and snow here on Sunday night with cloudy conditions further north and patchy sleet and snow.

Next week: There is a high risk of a very cold week ahead with some severe frosts. Some falls of snow possible also especially early in the week. However details are highly uncertain.
* subject to change
Unread 17-01-2013, 16:19   #10
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

i remember in the snows of 2010 that the train service wasnt that madly affected in fact they were the only thing running at one stage. I was on a cork train which was stopped due to landslide near portarlington, thats the only weather related thing i can recall causing massive effect.
Unread 17-01-2013, 17:19   #11
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
i remember in the snows of 2010 that the train service wasn't that madly affected in fact they were the only thing running at one stage. I was on a cork train which was stopped due to landslide near portarlington, thats the only weather related thing i can recall causing massive effect.
You forgetting all the signal faults, frozen points etc. The ICR were failing by the hour at one stage, overall they did a good job but always room for improvement!
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-01-2013, 12:29   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

And the frozen toilets!