Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-06-2007, 18:10   #21
ThomasJ

And the longford bound train was also delayed a few minutes due to a technical fault on the train at bray. I did not hear it clearly but it sounded like the drogheda train terminating at connolly was due to an earlier failure.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 18:15   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I forgot to add it was 10 minutes late leaving Blackrock but with a clear run it could have pulled 3 or 4 minutes back on the way to Pearse
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 21:46   #23
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrontress View Post
Yeah, I got the 7.51 from Donabate. It was an 8 car 29000 class. Busy enough but not too bad. I think that the 29000s don't just have as much room as the 2600s.
They don't. Next time you're on one, have a look around the inter-carriage doors. There's a gap of about a metre either side of them. Apparently it's a crumple zone that's designed to collapse in a collision.

The 2600s also have a lot more seats - about 70 per coach vs about 50 per coach on a 2900. The 29Ks do have a lot of standing room around the doors, though, so it's possible you could pack more in at crush load.

It's interesting to note that a 6-car 2600 set has more seats (around 420) than an 8-car 2900 (around 400).
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2007, 00:27   #24
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark View Post
They don't. Next time you're on one, have a look around the inter-carriage doors. There's a gap of about a metre either side of them. Apparently it's a crumple zone that's designed to collapse in a collision.

The 2600s also have a lot more seats - about 70 per coach vs about 50 per coach on a 2900. The 29Ks do have a lot of standing room around the doors, though, so it's possible you could pack more in at crush load.

It's interesting to note that a 6-car 2600 set has more seats (around 420) than an 8-car 2900 (around 400).
I have to agree with you on that. I was on the 8.55 clonsilla-connolly this morning. it was a four-car 2600 set. the great thing was for the first time in months I actually managed to get a seat on this train. Normally when this train is a 29000 set all seats would be taken with people standing. It wasn't really the case this morning. There weren't really many people standing when it left clonsilla.

The thing is, when it did start to fill up it got jammers very quickly. It did seem poeple were standing in a more confined space (ie no large wheelchair space like 29000) and you couldn't really stand down the centre aisle like you can with the 29000
Unread 09-06-2007, 00:37   #25
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The 17:33 Bray Longford was also a 6 coach set tonight, and it was a 2800 set so there are two 6 coach trains roaming the network which should be 8
Actually there is more! the 18.40 connolly-dundalk set which is normally an eight-car 29000 has been a six-car 2800 on fridays for the last few weeks.

And the 17.25 connolly-gorey is down to 4-car 29000, down 2 carriages on a friday.

Add to that the fact that there is a four-car 2600 set doing the job of a four-car 29000. Was doing the 18:30 pearse-maynooth i think tonight.
Unread 09-06-2007, 00:50   #26
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
And the longford bound train was also delayed a few minutes due to a technical fault on the train at bray. I did not hear it clearly but it sounded like the drogheda train terminating at connolly was due to an earlier failure.
One of the main gripes I have with the 18:15 pearse-drogheda train was the fact that people had to board the next northbound service to connolly. The Longford train which was down 2 carriages and delayed a few minutes departed pearse with no standing room in at least the first four railcars.

It is possible that passengers going to maynooth/longford/intermediate stations were left behind at tara street as a result of people on that train gong to connolly to get the drogheda train. (it looked as if there was alot). The fact that at the next station connolly there probably would have been space for them after the passengers for the DRogheda train cleared.

I just wonder was it neccessary to terminate the Drogheda train in connolly. There was a gap of about 8 or mnutes between the dart and longford train and i think that train could have been slotted in even if departing pearse a couple of minutes late.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:06   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well it was back to 8 this morning only for it to breakdown in Connolly.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:17   #28
ThomasJ

I was on one of the six car 2800 sets heading to pearse on saturday and it terminated in connolly. The driver said it was due to the train requiring maintenance
Unread 12-06-2007, 00:58   #29
ThomasJ

just wondering From what I hear there were a few unusual runnings yesterday (monday)

17.15 connolly-longford was an eight-car 2800 set.

17.13 connolly-dundalk was an eight car 2600 set
does this mean that the 18.15 pearse to drogheda was 8-car 29000 operated

Does this also mean that there is only one 6-car 2800 running gorey/rosslare services (ran tonights connolly-rosslare europort service)

from what I saw both evening ex bray to maynooth and longford were eight car 29000 operated.
Unread 14-06-2007, 08:02   #30
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well the 7:18 played up again, didn't seem to make it southside this morning