Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-07-2008, 17:08   #1
david673
New to the board

Default Rail Rovers

Hello everyone,

Planning a second visit to your wonderful country in August for a week, last year I purchased a rail rover from Interrail, but I was told I could get a cheaper one on my arrival in Dublin.
I want it for either 4 or 5 days and where I can buy one from on arrival in Dublin. I've tried to find out on the Irish rail web site, but it has to be said that its one of the most useless web sites I have ever seen.
I've also been trying to find out if i can leave cases at Heuston station for the day, but once again Irish rail have failed to respond to my e-mails.

Thanks you,

David
david673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2008, 22:36   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

welcome david.

regarding the cases in Heuston, there are lockers, but they dont always work and its first come first served as is the norm. they are located near platform 2.

congratulations on discovering the wonders of the irish rail website.

since they cant tell you what you're looking for we can:

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in...g.php#explorer

hope this helps!!
Unread 18-07-2008, 14:00   #3
david673
New to the board

Thomas,

Thanks for the quick response and help.

Re the Irish rail web site, it has to be up for the award of the worst ever! A Train operaters web site that can't even quote you fares!!

Anyway at least the rail system they operate is good and expanding, unlike ours in England.

Cheers,

David
Unread 18-07-2008, 18:18   #4
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david673 View Post
Anyway at least the rail system they operate is good and expanding
That's arguable.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-07-2008, 20:45   #5
Sealink

Quote:
unlike ours in England.
And so is this!
Sealink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2008, 13:30   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

What we can say without question

UK network is safer in certain key criteria e.g. SPAD's
UK network has better punctuality and reliability
UK passengers have extensive recourse to refunds
UK network in nearly all aspects presents itself in a far more professional manner
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2008, 20:03   #7
Sealink

UK network would have been a world class system if British Rail were retained, and given access to the same subsidies as the private TOCs.
Sealink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2008, 21:19   #8
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

UK network, particularly in the southeast, is also far more heavy-handed with penalty fares and reputed to have far too few ticket sale points at busy stations.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2008, 23:06   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

lads, chill.

i would love david to come back on and share his experiance after he has been here.

just glad we were of help.
Unread 20-07-2008, 21:17   #10
Derek Wheeler

What can I say?
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-07-2008, 13:34   #11
david673
New to the board

Gentlemen,

I toured Ireland last September for 6 days using the rail network.

Good points: Dublin to Cork stock, friendly staff, lots of diesel hauled services (yes I know they are fast dissapearing this year), wonderful scenery, Dublin tram system, and the fact that your government is prepared to put money in to opening old railway lines.

Bad points: Using unsuitable suburban stock on the Rosslare line, one ticket inspector at Cork so train left 15 mins late whilst rest of staff stood watching, no trains running between Waterford and Limerick with no signs to say this, so muggings was stood on platform whilst bus was outside!

In August I am hoping to go to Westport, Balinna, Sligo and hopefuly travel between Waterford and Limerick without going on a bus.

I can understand people moaning about the rail service if you live outside of the Dublin area, as some lines have very poor services. However from what I have read things are a lot better than 10 years ago and the new lines and stock are being built. Yes things are very laid back but isn't that half the charm of Ireland, compare it to manic London and the South east of England. At least you will all live longer from less stress.

Where would be the joy of travelling if every country and its rail system was identical.

I promise to report back in late August.

All the best,

David
Unread 28-07-2008, 18:58   #12
Oisin88

Quote:
Yes things are very laid back but isn't that half the charm of Ireland, compare it to manic London and the South east of England. At least you will all live longer from less stress.
Laid back? That's all well and good if you don't have to go to work. More stress when your train has a +/- fifteen minutes arrival time, leaves early when they feel like it. Life expectency is actually shorter in Ireland, as our health service has similar standards to our rail service.
Unread 21-08-2008, 20:04   #13
david673
New to the board

Evening Gents,

Well i spent another pleasent 5 days touring Ireland commencing on a Dublin to Westport service on the 11th August. The train was the 1240hrs and at 1200hrs people were already queing! The train was a 2 x 22000, and a walk along the train found the front coach fairly quiet. I was impressed with these new units, loads of tables and seats that line up with the windows (Why can't Britain have new trains like this?) Only complaint was seat was a little hard. The service left 5 mins late for no apparent reason, but we got to Westport on time. The train was full by the time it got to Roscommon.

Following evening went from Westport to Ballina, I was the only passenger on the service from Manulla Jctn, nice touch was the driver greeting me and carrying my case! Can anyone tell me if the line beyond Ballina Station is used?

On the Wednesday caught a bus to Sligo then the 1500hrs to Dublin, once again a class 22000, 2 x 3 car, again well used and on time. What suprised me was how long it takes to get from Maynooth to Dublin. There was chaos at Connolly as the there was flooding at Howth junction.

Thursday a 3 car 22000 to Kilkenny, with a packed train and the family from hell in my coach. (Lets shout when we talk, shout on our mobiles, play music loud etc) I was suprised the guard didn't say something. The train crawled from Adamstown to Kildare, no announcements as to why, and so we were 20 mins down at Kilkenny. Later that evening I caught a loco hauled service to Waterford, had the rear coach to myself, nice.

Friday the 0935hrs Waterford - Limerick Jctn service, now this was a backwater line, I've been on preserved lines with better track. Now my biggest gripe with Irish Rail is re this service when it gets to Limerick Junction. Several passengers boarded on route and bought tickets to Dublin, so we get off at Limmerick Junction, 10 mins later a Cork - Dublin service trundles through at 40 mph not scheduled to stop. The next train to Dublin arrives an hour after the Waterford train has arrived and half an hour after the Waterford train has departed. Why can't the Cork - Dublin service that passes through at 1130ish be scheduled to stop and connect with the Waterford train?

Whilst at Limmerick a 6 car 22000 on test came in from the south and then returned that way. Noted it had a 1st class coach, on looking through window noted it was exactley the same as the 2nd class coaches!

All staff friendly and helpful, managed to leave cases at Sligo and Kilkenny station and wasn't charged for the service.

Also nice to see several container trains, last year I didn't see a single one.

Had a great 5 days and shall be back next year .

David
Unread 21-08-2008, 20:26   #14
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Noted it had a 1st class coach, on looking through window noted it was exactley the same as the 2nd class coaches!

David
When are these 6 car sets to be introduced?

I think standard class on the Dublin Cork service has alot going for it than first class as first is really bright, to bright...

I am personally hoping the new 22000 first class will be nicer and some what comfortable than the standard class coaches(22000).. Heres to hoping lol

Glad you had a good experience of Irish Rail, I think perfer the mk3 with 201 class loco's once these new trains are on the Rosslare line maybe i will feel the same... Heres to hoping hate those 2800 trains
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2008, 21:30   #15
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

How did you find the value for money (a) on the train (b) off the train (c) as a tourist (d) as a rail enthusiast?

Quote:
The service left 5 mins late for no apparent reason,
Unfortunately common.
Quote:
but we got to Westport on time.
Unfortunately common, also - it just shows how much padding there is in the timetable.

Quote:
The train was full by the time it got to Roscommon.
Pleasently surprised at that - I would have expected it to get quieter, not busier. It being August was possibly a factor.

Quote:
Thursday a 3 car 22000 to Kilkenny, with a packed train and the family from hell in my coach. (Lets shout when we talk, shout on our mobiles, play music loud etc) I was suprised the guard didn't say something.
A polite request to the FFH or the guard might get the appropraite response - or might not.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2008, 22:41   #16
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Limerick Junc connection issue is down to the fact the 10:00 from Dublin stops in Limerick Junction, there is only one platform, so only one train can stop, the 10:00 gives a direct connection to Waterford.

Both trains could stop but since both pass each other just outside Limerick Junc if the Dublin bound one stopped it would really slow things down and cause all kinds of other problems

There is a morning connection to Dublin off the Clonmel route which gets to Dublin by 10:20am. Remember connections work via Limerick Junc and Waterford, at this time of day its an hour faster go via Waterford

Second platform is planned to resolve the issue as is a 2 hourly service Limerick Junc Waterford

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 21-08-2008 at 22:46.
Unread 22-08-2008, 12:59   #17
CSL

Plenty of scope to put the hammer down on the cork-bound train and get there 10 mins earlier to avoid the issue.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-08-2008, 13:08   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That would actually make it worse since the trains pass on the Thurles side of Limerick Junction.

Fact is there is a perfectly good connection via Waterford mid morning which has a direct sub ten minute wait with a simple 20 foot walk across a island platform.

Options Carrick on Suir are
10:09 to Limerick Junc wait Dublin 14:20
10:08 to Waterford change Dublin 13:26

In fact in all cases if there is an excessive wait at Limerick Junc or Waterford there is a much quicker option at almost the same time via the other station, 4 services each way with a sub 15 minute wait at the connecting point. Its surprisingly well thought out.

If the Cork train stopped you get to Dublin a magic 6 minutes faster however with considerable possibility of delay.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 22-08-2008 at 13:17.
Unread 22-08-2008, 19:29   #19
david673
New to the board

Evening,

Re value for money etc:

Remember we Brits are getting 20% less for our money due to the low exchange rate with the Euro compared to last year.
I purchased a 5 day rover at 145.00 euros.
Eating out and buying drinks was expensive compared to UK.
What was cheap was entrance fees to places like Kilkenny Castle, Westport House etc and always with a guided tour.
The drinks on the trains were on a par with the UK.

Re the Limerick Junction issue, I noticed platform 3 can't be used anymore, so everything on the main line has to use platform 1. is this a permanent thing, or are they planning to build a platform next to the south bound line?

I take it the line from Waterford to Limerick will be upgraded before a 2 hour service is introduced, come to think of it I did see a couple of ballast trains in loops along the line.

David
Unread 23-08-2008, 15:24   #20
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Currently there is only one platform for Cork line trains, the second one was never used anyway, not long enough. The Waterford platform was removed a few years back when they split the Limerick platform into two halves

A new platform on the opposite side is planned I'm told, footbridge and so on included. Will eliminate finally the Limerick Junction delays due to the shortage of platforms and clear up the timetable

Expect Cork line trains to arrive at the same time every second hour with connections to Waterford and Limerick (potentially Galway) It will be very much in the Swiss model of regional trains arrive first, then the long distance arrive followed by a quick change and everyone heads off

Part of the engineering work next week are at Limerick Junc, place is getting a total rebuild which should save several minutes on all service