Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-09-2012, 16:54   #1
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Default False advertisement

Iarnrσd Ιireann are claiming cheaper fares online vs the station from Thurles to Dublin. Yet when I try to book one day in advance it cost more than what it does in the station.

Quote:
One-Way Seat Sale to/ from Dublin
Book 3+ Days in Advance €9.99*
Book 1 or 2 Days in Advance €21.99
Book on Day of Travel €32.99
€21.99 x 2 = €43.98 + €3 booking fee = €46.98 even with the use of a laser card vs visa/mastercard that's only 2c discount.

Station = €46 or €43 day saver (was €37 day saver fare last month guess we got subsidize Nenagh and WRC with that increase) plus you have the benefit of getting on any train at any time out or return

It is ok for us regular/daily users we know all their tricks/scams how the €9.99 online Cork fares went on "sale" during the summer for €14.99 etc.

But for people who are not regular users the advertisement on their site gives the impression of great value even if you are booking on the day or 1-2 days in advanced, wonder how many people who don't use the service very regularly and they decide to buy online thinking it is cheaper but actually end up paying more got hooked in.

Worth reporting to the ASAI?
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-09-2012, 17:17   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Return open fare from Thurles is 50 euro, day return 46 euro. Thats what we have and thats what Irish Rail are quoting as well

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in...1=Submit+Query

So the notice is accurate in its statements as the fare offered is less that than the legally approved fare as notified by the NTA

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 26-09-2012 at 17:35.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-09-2012, 20:33   #3
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

A booking fee is separate to a fare.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-09-2012, 17:30   #4
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

There was a day saver fare of €37 day return if you traveled before 11am on certain days it is now €43 day saver(think it only applies Tuesday and Thursdays now), €46 day return and €50 open return.

True the two day advanced booking fare price does work out €2.02 cheaper than the station without the booking fee. But the booking fee is an unavoidable part of this and I must point out before this "great sale" you could get the return leg part of this journey online for about €14.99 the outward journey price would vary but was never more than €26 single to Dublin. At the moment two day advance booking on both sides outward and return is €21.99 per train €43.98+ booking fee. It was never this expensive before the sale. So it is a sale where the prices have risen rather than falling.

Today Thurles-Dublin online is €65.98 excl booking. €46 station

Tomorrow it will be €43.98 excluding booking fee. My laser card was replaced so for me and a number of other people that's €3 booking fee on a Visa/MasterCard debit card. €46.98

They may not be breaking the law but the slogan Catch the best fares online is deceptive.
Unread 30-09-2012, 16:34   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You completly fail to understand how the fares are determined

The return fare booked online will always be the same or less than the day return fare

So you will NEVER pay more than 46 euro + fees for a Dublin Thurles return journey.

I don't have a laser card, but I still don't pay the credit card fee as the vast majority who have an Irish issued debit card now have a visa debit card which Irish Rail do not impose a surcharge on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bitmap Image.jpg
Views:	2083
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1499  
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-09-2012, 22:30   #6
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

They still increased the prices though and called it a sale. Thankfully I don't book online or pay full fare anymore since i got my student travel card.