Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-11-2010, 23:28   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Irish Rail Realtime Information

Three experiences today.

1. Information displays in Heuston were saying the 1030 Cork-Hueston would arrive at 1320 (scheduled 1323) at platform 5. Website was saying 1324. Actual arrival was about 1322 at platform 6.

2. Some other displays at Heuston had MS Windows or similar errors.

3. At Tara Street at 1940, it was saying the 1936 to Malahide would arrive at 1944. I thought 4 minutes was a reasonable time for my elderly parents (with suitcase) to get from the ticket barrier to the platform. The train then rolled in and the display changed to 1940. The train pulled off as we reached the top of the escalator. Next train 2016. Thank you to the ticket barrier clerk for letting me go through with the suitcase.

Now I realise that the issues may be at the signalling end, not the display / website end but when you think you have 4 minutes to get from ticket line to platform, thats what is should be. The train didn't suddenly gain 4 minutes between Pearse and Tara Street.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 16-11-2010 at 23:31.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2010, 08:47   #2
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

I have seen this in Connolly where the Maynooth train would say 5mins as it is approaching the platform.

Usually the 1555 Pearse to Maynooth
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2010, 09:18   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The NTA would be interested if you can show that the system is inaccurate and can provide the conditions which trigger an error

I have to say I'm happy with the DART platform system, it seems to work well and can adapt quickly when things get disrupted. I find it far more realistic than the Luas system where it can say tram here but none in sight

The Heuston side system is still a mess and there are still as list of bugs of trains which disappear and then reappear. We have worked with Irish Rail and traced quite a few of these issues
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2010, 15:16   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

So, I've just seen off the parents. Unfortuneatly they had to use the gates at plaform 6-8, not the normal ticket checking halfway down.

One reassuring thing is that the time is actually correct and matching (literally within seconds) across Heuston!

The 1515 arrival from Cork was scheduled to come into Platform 4 as it was early (arrive 1504). However, the 1500 to Cork departed promptly so they were able to bring it in to Platform 5. Announcement made after the train pulled in to Platform 5 and the concourse display then changed.