Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 22-08-2009, 13:26   #41
losexpectation
Regular Poster

Mark Gleeson sings i believe in miracles!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...d-1775987.html

Last edited by losexpectation : 22-08-2009 at 14:19.
Unread 22-08-2009, 14:06   #42
chris
Regular Poster

Is there anything else which needs done on the route while this is ongoing?

How about double-tracking the bridge over the Boyne (like it used to be) to enable future hourly Belfast services?

It would have a limited impact on passengers at this time:
- no extra time delay for Belfast passengers for Dublin changing at Dundalk instead of Drogheda and using the M1
- no effect on Drogheda passengers to Dublin
- adverse effects on Dundalk-Drogheda passengers - would need a limited bus substitution between the two for local and Enterprise passengers
- possible adverse effect on Dundalk - Dublin passengers - would need a lot of express buses to serve Dundalk commuters plus the Enterprise passengers (but would this really be worse for local pax than having to change in Drogheda??)

No idea how long it would take to build though.
Unread 22-08-2009, 14:50   #43
James Shields

I've just been interviewed by RTE for tonight's six o'clock news. I think Mark and Barry will also be on.
Unread 22-08-2009, 14:52   #44
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The situation is becoming clearer

1. A pier collapsed bringing two spans down, I have spoken to someone who has seen it first hand

2. The last train over spotted the beginning of the collapse and stopped in Malahide to report it. That was the 18:07 Balbriggan Dublin. The train in question may be just may be set 29x29 which is currently red carded in Connolly

Problems

1. Only 2 of the 3 enterprise sets are north of the bridge, Belfast hasn't a clue how to maintain a 201 class engine so serious problems ahead. The 3rd set was moved this afternoon for storage possibly hidden in the shed in Connolly or over to Inchicore

2. The entire 180 strong fleet of commuter railcars are based in Drogheda, only limited facilities exist in Connolly, Inchicore, Cork and Limerick, so reliability of the fleet will slide. The depot in Portlaois isn't equipped for lifting 20 m coaches so it ain't much use. Fairview is but lacks the knowledge

3. Tara Mines is effectively closed as they can't shift the ore to a boat.
Unread 22-08-2009, 15:04   #45
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The situation is becoming clearer

1. A pier collapsed bringing two spans down, I have spoken to someone who has seen it first hand

2. The last train over spotted the beginning of the collapse and stopped in Malahide to report it. That was the 18:07 Balbriggan Dublin. The train in question may be just may be set 29x29 which is currently red carded in Connolly

Problems

1. Only 2 of the 3 enterprise sets are north of the bridge, Belfast hasn't a clue how to maintain a 201 class engine so serious problems ahead. The 3rd set was moved this afternoon for storage possibly hidden in the shed in Connolly or over to Inchicore

2. The entire 180 strong fleet of commuter railcars are based in Drogheda, only limited facilities exist in Connolly, Inchicore, Cork and Limerick, so reliability of the fleet will slide. The depot in Portlaois isn't equipped for lifting 20 m coaches so it ain't much use. Fairview is but lacks the knowledge

3. Tara Mines is effectively closed as they can't shift the ore to a boat.
any possibilty of third party involvement mark beforehand? Maybe something hitting the viaduct?

Last edited by ThomasJ : 22-08-2009 at 15:06.
Unread 22-08-2009, 15:06   #46
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Times
Bridge collapse disrupts rail services

IRISH TIMES REPORTERS
Rail services through north Dublin are expected to be disrupted for several weeks after a viaduct in Malahide collapsed yesterday evening moments after a train passed over it.

About 20 metres of the viaduct over the Broadmeadow estuary between Malahide and Donabate in north Co Dublin collapsed shortly after 6pm.

Iarnród Éireann spokesman Barry Kenny said last night rail services north of Malahide and the Enterprise service between Belfast and Dublin will be closed for “at least several weeks” due to the severe damage to the bridge.

The subsidence began as the 18.07 train from Balbriggan to Connolly station passed over the viaduct. There were up to 50 passengers on board.

The driver noticed the serious subsidence starting and the embankment beginning to give way on the northbound track. He alerted control and raised the alarm at Malahide station.

Mr Kenny pointed out that if the driver hadn’t contacted control, they would have been alerted as the track circuits would have gone when the bridge collapsed. However, Mr Kenny said he was not underestimating how potentially serious the incident was.

Iarnród Éireann said there is “little doubt” the tidal estuary was a factor in the incident. The company is investigating the full circumstances but said the issue was likely to be the viaduct rather than the track.

The rail accident investigation unit of the Department of Transport will also carry out an independent investigation.

Passengers’ representative group Rail Users Ireland said it was a “miracle” people were not killed. Spokesman Mark Gleeson said the incident raised serious questions about the maintenance and inspection regime on Ireland’s rail network.

“This viaduct carries some of the busiest commuter trains in Ireland, it is nothing short of a miracle that the collapse did not result in a serious accident and loss of life,” he said. “While we await the report from the rail accident investigation unit, it is essential that all bridges are inspected nationwide to ensure no critical faults have been overlooked.”

He also demanded cash refunds for all weekly, monthly and annual ticket holders who can no longer travel by train because of the closure.

Some 90 trains a day pass over the bridge. Rail commuters travelling north of Malahide are being advised to travel by Dublin Bus or Bus Éireann services.

Bus transfers are being arranged for services between Belfast and Dublin. A shuttle service is operating between Drogheda and Skerries. Replacement bus services are also running between Dublin and stations north of the city. The Belfast Enterprise service will only run between Belfast and Drogheda, with bus transfers in and out of Dublin.

Iarnród Éireann said local Dart services between Malahide and Howth Junction have resumed, and are operating normally.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/.../breaking5.htm
Unread 22-08-2009, 15:11   #47
James Shields

Of course if Irish Rail (and the Irish government) been proactive and built the Navan rail link (or never got rid of it in the first place), all of these problems would cease to exist. It might not solve the commuter chaos, but at least it would provide an alternative route for moving and maintaining rolling stock.
Unread 22-08-2009, 17:21   #48
James Shields

Quote:
Iarnród Éireann said there is “little doubt” the tidal estuary was a factor in the incident. The company is investigating the full circumstances but said the issue was likely to be the viaduct rather than the track.
Well duh! Looking at the photographs, that's fairly obvious. However, without the viaduct the track is pretty useless.
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:02   #49
coffeedrinker
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1962 View Post
so commuter chaos for the next few weeks wonder how they'll handle the annual/monthly commuter ticket holders!
My annual ticket expires at the end of September and I was going to get my employer to order my next years one. I for one hope they don't arrange a refund but just allow the annual tickets to be used on whatever amazing contingency buses etc that IR come up with. I'm commuting from Drogheda so whether they provide buses from hte Train Station to town or to Malahide or if I do have to get Bus Eireann, that I can use my Annual Ticket.

Just thinking back to the time of the Skerries derailment, I left my house in Drogheda about 6.30 am and got into work about 4 hours later with a combination of Bus Eireann and Dart, if everymorning is like that this time, i won't have to worry about getting my employer to order an Annual ticket, cos I won't have a job!!
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:07   #50
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

3 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell am i going to do!

I have supplemental exams.

If i pass those i have placement in James's hospital and else where.

We're tight for money and i don't drive yet. I'll have to take the test now, i fecking loath driving.
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:09   #51
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Im told a procedure will be in place to refund anyone with an annual or monthly ticket who no longer wants to (i.e can't) travel with Irish Rail

Its only fair
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:11   #52
steo101
New to the board

Hey folks - rgular on boards.ie first time here though.

Anyway, fe pics I popped up on boards already:

Few pics, thmubnails below so you can zoom right in at your leisure. I will get in much closer this evening, lots of IÉ staff on the embankment so I didn't want to risk climbing on top of it as some of the eiretrains folk have done in the past.

Unread 22-08-2009, 18:34   #53
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Nice photos

Security has been posted on both sides so don't try to get in closer

Its two spans in the middle are gone, the support pier is 'missing'
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:36   #54
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphfaneire View Post
3 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell am i going to do!

I have supplemental exams.

If i pass those i have placement in James's hospital and else where.

We're tight for money and i don't drive yet. I'll have to take the test now, i fecking loath driving.
I have to say this is going to be a total disaster for the folks on the northern line.

I think we can state with a fair degree of confidence that the bus alternatives won't have the capacity and frequency needed to offer a full alternative

I think in your case you may be better off trying to find short term accommodation in town or perhaps crash with friends / colleagues during the week. Otherwise you'll have a very tough 3-4 months ahead.
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:41   #55
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

There's a before and after shot here clearly showing the missing support.

http://www.opensourcemechanic.com/blog/?p=25
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:52   #56
ThomasJ

Default A suggestion on this thread

Can i suggest a few things on this thread:

-update the title, remove the date from the title
-have this thread as a sticky in both the travel alerts and the northern line forum

I have a feeling this thread is going to get quiet busy over the next few months
Unread 22-08-2009, 18:57   #57
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Good idea. New thread at http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=10256, this thread is closed.
Closed Thread