Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-03-2011, 08:20   #1
Jack Funk
New to the board

Default New Transport Minister - DART Interconnector

I see that Leo Varadkar is new Minister for Transport, Just wondering how much of an impact will this guy have? He's young fresh, maybe new ideas?
Will he take on the unions overvalued drivers and underused Permanent way staff?
Will the DART interconnector---so badly needed-- go ahead under his watch or will we have more Western Rail Corridors going unused--- see another Thread on the forum about that!
There already is a load of hassle at the public consultation meetings irate public giving out about noise from North Wall yards because of works down there( didn't think anything had started? Mobilisation works?/ ground clearing what?)
He's got a lot on his plate!
Jack Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:22   #2
ThomasJ

Hopefully its good news for the maynooth line with varadkar as transport minister.

Also interesting that varadkars area streches out as far as the airport and swords.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:41   #3
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

As Transport minister, Leo Varadker has national responsibilities, and while I think that development of the Maynooth and Dunboyne routes is important, I don't want to see national policies subverted by local constituency interests. Just think of the way Gormley subverted national policy on incineration to the interests of locals in Sandymount.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 13:48   #4
ColmmacO
Regular Poster

I made a post on the program for government in the Election forum.
Basically, there is not one mention of the words 'Rail', 'Metro' or 'DART' in the document. Definately handy for Dublin West people to have Leo as minister for transport (look what dempsey did for the Pace line) but I would think we will see a large focus on bus transport in the coming years.
I hope I am wrong though!
ColmmacO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 15:49   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Actually this is who has the brief

Public and Commuter Transport – Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport - Alan Kelly
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:30   #6
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

According to Barry Desmond it may depend on how much Varadkar lets Kelly have. I was wondering how Maynooth electrification snuck into FG's manifesto - perhaps I have my answer. That said I don't know much about FG - I thought their Sean Barrett and the TCD economist with the notable views on rail were one and the same!
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2011, 17:28   #7
jacko
Regular Poster

have heard good things about Kelly - very smart and capable - made a minister on his first week in Dail
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-03-2011, 11:57   #8
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I certainly don't think anyone should worry unduly about a TD from a rural constituency having the role.

Prior to becoming a full-time politician in 2007, Kelly spent more than a decade living in Cork. Also, his 2 years as an MEP will have opened him up to the kind of transport systems in place in cities on the European mainland.

I daresay having him in place will be no harm for the Limerick-Ballybrophy line, but he should quickly get to grips with the broader transport issues affecting urban areas.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote