Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 20-07-2012, 17:50   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default [Article] Protest over train announcements

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking45.html
Quote:
Protest over train announcements
AINE McMAHON

People with visual impairments have come together to protest against what they describe as "persistently poor quality" in the sound quality of announcements on Iarnród Éireann trains.

Next Monday, people with a visual impairments and their supporters, will send hundreds of texts to the company's press officers.

The texts will be sent by the campaigners at 9.30am to voice their anger at what they say is the persistent poor quality or lack of audible announcements on Irish trains.

Supporters are being asked to send their name by text, indicating they support the campaign by those with vision impairment.

A suggested sample text reads: "I am contacting you to highlight the lack of audible announcements on both Dart and intercity rail services. I would like to point out that audible announcements are of a great value to our tourist industry. I would be grateful if you could give me an exact date and time when this problem will be resolved. I would like to hear from you as soon as possible."

Martin O’Sullivan set up the campaign after years of dissatisfaction with the sound quality of Irish Rail’s train announcements.

“We have gotten great support for this so far, with over 600 people promising to send a text on Monday to Irish Rail. It has taken years for the situation to improve so we hope this Monday on July 23rd that the dissatisfaction will be heard loud and clear,” he said.

In a statement, Irish rail said 52 per cent of the Dart fleet had a completely new system installed between 2007 and 2009 and that €120,000 had recently been spent upgrading obsolete functions on non-refurbished trains and that this work was almost complete.

A modern replacement system for the remaining Dart trains has been tendered for and the National Transport Authority has indicated support for the project.

“It is important that any system chosen meets all of the performance criteria expected and this will take time to implement,” the statement added.

A Facebook event called “Blitz Irish Rail with texts calling on them to ensure safe travel for all” has also been set up.
Unread 20-07-2012, 17:53   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

http://www.facebook.com/events/46643...context=create
Unread 20-07-2012, 20:14   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I'll give it a whirl just to take part in annoying Irish Rail but I wouldn't hold out much hope. A few of the 29k sets have had the same bug in them for at least 5 years where they announce Longford going over the points coming into Edgeworthstown. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to reassure elderly people or tourists that they are not coming into Longford and that this is just the way Ireland works.

Ah sure that'll do.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-07-2012, 20:45   #4
neoncircles

Just like the selling ticket on train situation, terrible inconsistency as usual as regard announcements
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-07-2012, 20:50   #5
karlr42

First step is to scrap the OLA and get rid of the Irish announcements completely. No point fixing anything else until then.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-07-2012, 22:28   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I've lost count of how many times we have provided Irish Rail with details of the various bugs in the system.

The Irish is a legal requirement, and importantly that's the door to causing trouble

Our hands our tied as we cannot file a complaint under the disability act ourselves as you have to be disabled to do so, curiously discriminatory in a way.

All that said 10 years ago numerous daily services hadn't even a PA system fitted, let alone working!
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-07-2012, 02:52   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...320529954.html