Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-01-2012, 17:56   #1
IckyThump
Regular Poster

Default Limerick - Waterford

ok i dont understand the new fares online. i cant seem to find how much the new ticket price is

it use to be

€12 one way adult
€20 day return
€23 Month return

just wondering if there is ay change to the price???? or the service for that matter
IckyThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2012, 18:55   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

By my reckoning, Limerick-Waterford is a H category fare (77.25 miles, 124km).

New Single Fare €18.50
New Day Return Fare €19.00
New Open Return Fare €26.50

The objective fare (what it will become in the future, adjusted for inflation and adjustments to subsidy) would be (€2.50+€0.23/km*35km+€0.23/km*89km*0.7 = €2.50+8.05+14.32 = €24.87. That is an access charge of €2.50 and a full per kilometre charge Limerick -Limerick Junction and a kilometre charge discounted as it is a economy route on the Limerick Junction-Waterford section

Objective Single Fare €24.87
Objective Day Return Fare €38.55 (155% of single)*
Objective Open Return Fare €42.28 (170% of single)*

These are maximum fares and discounts can be offered.

* The NTA document is slightly unclear on how return tickets should be priced, stating that "Single, Open (30% discount on two single fares) & Day Return (45% discount on two single fares) Fares" whereas, presumably they mean "Single, Open (30% discount on the return part) & Day Return (45% discount on the return part) Fares".

Last edited by Colm Moore : 29-01-2012 at 19:11.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2012, 19:01   #3
IckyThump
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
By my reckoning, Limerick-Waterford is a H category fare (77.25 miles, 124km).

New Single Fare €18.50
New Day Return Fare €19.00
New Open Return Fare €26.50
50 cent extra for a return??? wow looks like they didnt stop the ridiculous prices. guess mammy will be sad that ill be cutting back on the going home

thanks for the reply
Unread 29-01-2012, 20:34   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Fares from Feb 4th

Single €18.50
Day Return €19.00
Open Return €26.50

The day return will now be available on Fridays

My understanding of the new fares will be priced as following policy

Day return = (2 * Single Fare) less 45% = 20.35
Open return = (2 * Single Fare) less 30% = 25.90

This will be implemented progressively over several years on all routes. Once Irish Rail's ticketing system can cope a pure distance based calculation will be employed

2.50 fixed charge +
35.4km * 0.23per/km + (Limerick - Limerick Junc) = 8.14
89.3km * 0.23per/km * 0.7 (Limerick Junc - Waterford = 14.38

=> 25.02

Fares on the Limerick Junction - Waterford route are historically low hence they are going up. Fares on other routes are considered over priced and they have come down
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2012, 20:52   #5
IckyThump
Regular Poster

thats a huge rise in cost though

im going to be paying over 50% exta on what i was paying

the only reason that day returns and open returns are 45% and 30% cheaper than 2 single tickets is that the single ticket has risen.

i understand that it may be as you call it an "underpriced" line but 50% is a huge rise

i wouldnt mind if the servvice was advanced by giving wifi or more trains possibly even 1 or 2 on a sunday. but this is ridiculous
Unread 30-01-2012, 05:39   #6
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

This will probably end up closing the section Limerick Junction-Waterford. Funny they talk about making the fares system more fair and based on distance yet it still costs less to travel from Waterford-Dublin than closer stations on the Dublin-Cork line and even some economy lines.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-01-2012, 07:53   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The fares quoted as the maximum that Irish Rail can charge under the new rules.

The fares between Limerick Junc and Waterford are unlikely to be charged at this full rate anyway.
Unread 30-01-2012, 08:29   #8
IckyThump
Regular Poster

thanks for all the replies i very much appreciate it

i always did find the whole Irish rails thing a bit strange anyway in their business model. they promote themselves as Irish Rail but should be called Dublin Rail as thats the only place they serve.

they say that they are keeping €10 promotional fares. the only time you can use these fares is if you are going to/from Dublin

the only trains you can book online are if you are going to/from Dublin

they say that they are introducing the new leap card to help us save on fares. but this is only useful if you are IN Dublin

there are over a half million people living in Dublin with 4 million more that live elsewhere. sure alot of people use dublin in some way but there are millions all over the country that do not.

if routes like Limerick-Waterford or the WRC where promoted then they would be used. if you could book online they would be used.

€12 at the moment for a single fare Limerick to Waterford by train
€13.50 by bus

the train takes 2.5 hours because of a half hour stop at the junction. you have the comfort of being able to use the toilet on the train, the tables on the train for eating, doing college work, using your laptop etc. the train is so much better than the bus(as someone who dislikes busses)

i wouldnt mind paying more for the train if i didnt feel like i might have to get out and push at any time.

at this stage id offer to drive the train for free just so i could use it on a sunday.

im sure a few posters up in stations informing people of the cost and the route people would actually use it more.

i get sour because i feel as a paying customer i am being forced away from the service so Irish Rail can prove a point that nobody uses the route and they can close it to redevelope more in Dublin

i mean they are Irish Rail so please look after Ireland and not just Dublin
Unread 31-01-2012, 05:57   #9
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
it still costs less to travel from Waterford-Dublin than closer stations on the Dublin-Cork line
And that is how it's supposed to be.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-01-2012, 08:10   #10
IckyThump
Regular Poster

to be fair i dont think ill stop using Irish Rail anyway. the service may not be the best compared to places ive been but it is a lot better than Bus Eireann
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:38   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We will have details on the exact fares later but I currently believe the following

Single approx 9.50
Day return 10 euro

The current 5.90 fare is withdrawn
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:55   #12
IckyThump
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
We will have details on the exact fares later but I currently believe the following

Single approx 9.50
Day return 10 euro

The current 5.90 fare is withdrawn
limerick-waterford??
Unread 01-02-2012, 13:29   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Yes

We will have further details shortly
Unread 01-02-2012, 17:24   #14
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Sorry, was this fare:

Limerick-Waterford or
Limerick Junction-Waterford ?
Unread 01-02-2012, 17:53   #15
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
And that is how it's supposed to be.
Not exactly fair though how a town like Templemore or a village like Ballybrophy have to compete with a city with a train services and 3 Bus Ιireann services to Dublin. They have no competition either e.g like Bus Ιireann or JJ Kavanaghs (route 71 was axed in 2010). True they have more/faster trains than the Waterford to Dublin service has, which is great given the size of the areas but the fares are disgraceful.

Templemore is actually getting a lot more passengers i see lately. Was always a 6-10 maximum getting on trains to Dublin/Cork At least 12-14 people got on the train the other day. And they said the Garda college not recruiting for a few years would end up reducing the amount of users.
Unread 01-02-2012, 19:00   #16
IckyThump
Regular Poster

wow if thats the new price from limerick to waterford thats amazing. i still keep my point tht it should be advertised as id hate to see the service done away with or reduced further. but that price is amazing.

Thanks
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:40   #17
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Any idea how much Thurles-Waterford is now cause i have to go there soon and don't want to have to get the bus there from Clonmel.
Unread 16-02-2012, 14:36   #18
IckyThump
Regular Poster

oh my god

for anyone wondering the actual cost limerick-waterford

the new fairs are

single - €24 up from €12
return - €31(or 31.5 or something) up from €23

that is a 100% hike on a sub standard line with old broken down trains. no advertising and no information available to customers. let alone the fact that the only 3 trains that run each way every day are at unrealistic times for workers use and the fact there is no sunday service.

i went into waterford ticket office yesterday and these are the costs i was told(at ticket box and the machine. for a change both prices are the same)

needless to say i got the bus instead

the bus went from €13.50 to €16 where the train went from €12 to €24

the excuse that the train losses money because of a lack of numbers is a joke. if it was promoted they coul easily take numbers from the regular bus service doing the exact same route

€24 is ridiculous and i will not be using the train while the fair remains this high

its all well and good saying some costs went up but at least the leap card will save money. but the leap card is of no use to me in limerick or waterford
Unread 16-02-2012, 14:36   #19
IckyThump
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
Any idea how much Thurles-Waterford is now cause i have to go there soon and don't want to have to get the bus there from Clonmel.
i think it was €6 or 7
Unread 16-02-2012, 19:04   #20
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyThump View Post
the excuse that the train losses money because of a lack of numbers is a joke. if it was promoted they coul easily take numbers from the regular bus service doing the exact same route
The bus does Limerick-Waterford. The train does Limerick Junction-Limerick and Limerick Junction-Waterford. Not the same thing at all! IE doesn't want to mess up their failure to compete against the bus on the one route with a crappy enough road that even a 40mph 2700 is vaguely competitive.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote