Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-03-2009, 12:58   #41
roamling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Paperwork is just a checklist drawn up by the engineers, couple train up test the doors, brakes and other safety systems work and then make a few trips back and forwards between Dundalk and Drogheda late morning early afternoon under the supervision of a senior member of staff
sounds like a plan, as long as there are no other issues besides the paperwork and testing...just in case someone in charge from Irish Rail reading this...get moving

Last edited by roamling : 27-03-2009 at 13:10.
roamling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2009, 15:34   #42
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Apart from embarrassment to IE (a showstopper in most cases), is there anything stopping the PPs from being deployed as a stopgap?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2009, 15:40   #43
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I seem to remember a discussion saying the locomotive would be liable to go down through the track in parts of the route.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2009, 18:23   #44
dowlingm

are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about Northern Commuter - if the loco would go down through there the Enterprise would be in trouble
Unread 29-03-2009, 21:03   #45
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

The topic was Drogheda-Rosslare, so I assumed that's what you were on about.

Obviously there is no problem with 200-class locomotives on the Northern commuter line
Unread 29-03-2009, 23:13   #46
dowlingm

I see your point - sorry about that
Unread 30-03-2009, 10:13   #47
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Apart from embarrassment to IE (a showstopper in most cases), is there anything stopping the PPs from being deployed as a stopgap?
Hey there's nothing embarrassing about a Mk3 push/pull when you compare it to any of the Commuter DMU's. Just because it has a locomotive pulling it you think its embarrassing?
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2009, 11:40   #48
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I think IÉ would rather consign the Mk3s to history.
Unread 30-03-2009, 11:58   #49
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

They could still come in very handy for some routes. Western Rail Corridor comes to mind. Anyway they are not discarding all of the Mk3 coaches which suggests they believe they do have a future.
Unread 30-03-2009, 20:16   #50
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Aren't locos that much less reliable than DMUs. While sure, the hangar queens are probably scrap by now, but what happens if a loco breaks down at say Donabate .... or Connolly platform 5-7 and you get a matching tail-back?

Are two locos more reliable than one?
Unread 01-04-2009, 00:57   #51
dowlingm

when I said embarrassment I was talking in the context of IE being forced to use carriages they were dying to flog off, not that Mk3s are an embarrassment per se.
Unread 01-04-2009, 12:44   #52
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Ok no worries
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:05   #53
roamling

Here some updates whats going on on the 6.30 Drohegda - Rosslare:

- this morning the train failed at Connolly. Technical Issue. Train tried to leave but did not move.

- yesterday morning the train (4 car set) terminated in Connolly and was replaced by another 4 car set later

things do not improve at all...
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:33   #54
karman
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamling View Post
There is a 8 car set leaving Connolly at around 7.30am towards Maynooth. Its nearly empty all the time. Sure it will get more crowded later but I doubt there is that many people leaving town (in case I am wrong, please let me know). If IR is short of carriages they should at least try to make a fair use of them instead of pulling the joke on certain services all the time.
A lot of the trains out of the city at that hour are mostly empty (the 8:02 to Dundalk from Connolly leaves with a handful of people on it.) I think that train you mention becomes the 8:18 from Maynooth which is my usual train and that gets very busy on the way in to Pearse and has been very uncomfortable when it has been replaced by a 4 or 6 car set in the past.
karman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 14:59   #55
roamling

Quote:
Originally Posted by karman View Post
I think that train you mention becomes the 8:18 from Maynooth which is my usual train and that gets very busy on the way in to Pearse and has been very uncomfortable when it has been replaced by a 4 or 6 car set in the past.
fair enough, this was just an example. As mentioned it is very uncomfortable when a train is replaced by a shorter train. This is what happens to the 6.30 to Rosslare every week on some days. So this morning I was in a 4 car set train again...
Unread 28-04-2009, 07:56   #56
roamling

for the last weeks the train only has 4 cars for at least 2 out of 5 days on a regular basis now. Today as well, and actually today there seemed to be extra passengers because of the Dublin Bus disruptions...but there seems to be no urgency to respond to that appropriately (not to mention that this train should be 6 cars anyway, Bus strike or not). This just summarizes the current mess of public transport.
Unread 23-07-2009, 07:26   #57
roamling

Thumbs down

yesterday the 6.30am Rosslare train failed at Connolly, today the train failed at Laytown and was cancelled. Then the train after the Rosslare train was only 4 cars only which meant that it was full to the rafters in Rush/Lusk. How long do we have to wait until the Rosslare service in the morning will be replaced by a decent, reliable service (new trains)? Anyone..., Bueller?
Unread 23-07-2009, 09:50   #58
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamling View Post
How long do we have to wait until the Rosslare service in the morning will be replaced by a decent, reliable service (new trains)? Anyone..., Bueller?
I think you meant, How long do we have to wait until Rosslare services get separated from Drogheda & Maynooth services so Iarnrod Eireann can operate 8coach 29k on the morning Drogheda service.Not long
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2009, 09:57   #59
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
I think you meant, How long do we have to wait until Rosslare services get separated from Drogheda & Maynooth services so Iarnrod Eireann can operate 8coach 29k on the morning Drogheda service.Not long
Not quiet AFAIK there is only 1 6-coach set [AFAIK- 1 rosslare set will still be 28k operated] that will be offloaded!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2009, 10:50   #60
roamling

anthing that is operated with more than 4 cars and won't break down on the way will do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
Not quiet AFAIK there is only 1 6-coach set [AFAIK- 1 rosslare set will still be 28k operated] that will be offloaded!
can you specify that? does it mean the morning service will still run all the way to rosslare with a maximum 6 car set?