Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-09-2012, 20:55   #1
kilman
Regular Poster

Default Connections with Park West and stations beyond Newbridge

Hi,
I'm a daily commuter from Portlaoise to Park West(as well as others I see from Portarlington and Kildare)

Each morning there are a choice of three trains(one direct, the other two with a 10 or 20 min wait while changing train) to my destination- Which I'm delighted with all things considered.

But in the evening there seems to be a distinct lack of trains coming the other direction.
Instead I need to go to Heuston and get a train back out from there.
Is there any plans to include even one train in the stopping pattern each evening that would serve stations beyond Newbridge? Which would allow connections to Portlaoise?

Thanks
K
kilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-10-2012, 13:01   #2
laoisfan
Regular Poster

I commute from Ballybrophy to Heuston and my options are as follows:

1. Morning.
Train from Ballybrophy to Heuston, get 8:35am out to Park West
or
Train from Portlaoise ( direct train ).

2. Evening.
Train from Park West ( 4:55pm ) to Heuston. Hopefully get there in time for the 5:05pm else I have to get the 5:25pm. Only 20 mins different in Heuston but nearly 1 hr difference in Ballybrophy.

So...can anyone help with OP's question? I know there will be new timetable changes for the new year and Irish Rail will probably show possible timetable online as well but any info would be appreciated.
laoisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 13:10   #3
Kilocharlie

The draft 2013 timetables include an hourly(approx) Heuston-Portlaoise all stations service. That should bring about a major improvement in connectivity beyond Newbridge.
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:57   #4
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilocharlie View Post
The draft 2013 timetables include an hourly(approx) Heuston-Portlaoise all stations service. That should bring about a major improvement in connectivity beyond Newbridge.
I could only see the following on the draft timetable.

I've only taken afternoon-evening trains from Park West to Portlaoise, Mon-Fri, as per the topic of this thread.

15:37 - 16:35
16:28 - 17:30
18:33 - 19:36
19:38 - 20:40

For Ballybrophy one would have to either get train into Heuston & get another train back out OR get train to Portlaoise & wait for subsequent train for onward connection.

Can you please show on the draft 2013 timetable where this major improvement is? Thanks.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:05   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a proposal in the 2013 an almost hourly or better service all day, calling all stops Heuston - Portlaoise. Thats a massive change and a massive improvement in connectivity.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/Draft2...Timetable1.pdf

To be fair demand for direct services Ballybrophy - Park West is very very low and would be impossible to justify direct services

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 08-01-2013 at 11:10.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:07   #6
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There is a proposal in the 2013 an almost hourly or better service all day, calling all stops Heuston - Portlaoise. Thats a massive change and a massive improvement in connectivity.
Have to disagree "as per where the OP commutes from". And remember, Park West is a business area, it's not like it requires an all-day service, peak-time would suffice.

For anyone commuting from Portlaoise to Park West, the evening trains from Park West to Portlaoise are not great.

15:37 - 16:35
16:28 - 17:30
18:33 - 19:36
19:38 - 20:40

So between 16:28 & 18:33, ~2hr gap? Most people on average finish work at 17:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
To be fair demand for direct services Ballybrophy - Park West is very very low and would be impossible to justify direct services
Agreed - I can understand that. I believe I am the only person who commutes from Ballybrophy to Portlaoise so yes....LOW!! I will probably do the following with respect to the new timetable.

1. Morning - I am better off changing in Portlaoise rather than going to Dublin & getting train back out.
Ballybrophy 06:50 - Portlaoise 07:04
Portlaoise 07:20 - Park West 08:24

2. Evening - 2 options.

Park West 16:28 - Portlaoise 17:30
Portlaoise 18:15 - Ballybrophy 18:31

or

Park West 16:23 - Dublin Heuston 16:35
Dublin Heuston 17:05 - Ballybrophy 18:00

Option #2 is the more attractive unless I am meeting family in Portlaoise etc.

Edit: Yes - there is an improvement for Dublin Heuston - Portlaoise but not specifically for Park West-Portlaoise in the evening.

Last edited by laoisfan : 08-01-2013 at 12:21.