Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-04-2006, 13:40   #21
Kevin K Kelehan

That was the point I was making above about turning the stiles at 90 degrees in long slender concourses. Unfortunately some of the stations are simply too small to accomodate this equipment and either new exits will have to be built or chaos will result for the commuting public.
Kevin K Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2006, 11:43   #22
James Shields

I was on the 7:28 from Drogheda this morning, and there was a huge crowd waiting to pass the ticket checkers (edit: in Connolly). The few people heading the opposite way had to fight their way through the crowd. If we have a limited number of bi-directional gates, it's hard to see how people can get in at all.

The LU is a good example of a similar system, and it works well, but they have lots of gates, and at any given time each gate only operates in one direction, with the number of gates varying at different times of day according to the number of people entering and leaving the station (though you'll always need more exit gates, as people arrive at the station in dribs and drabs, but everyong getting off a train leaves together).

I know space is a problem in many stations (including the city centre ones), but IE need to either find enough space to make exit validation workable, or move to an open system like Luas.

Last edited by James Shields : 24-04-2006 at 11:53.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2006, 12:11   #23
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

In Connolly they could move all the machines into the foyer. There is plenty of space there.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2006, 12:39   #24
philip

but that would interfere with their retail space and we all know CIE are more interested in stuff like that than actually providing integrated public transport. So I wouldn't be holding my breath. Honestly, can anyone see them EVER installing the numbers of these barriers that you see on the LU? They'll never do it all-out and it'll be a mess. Open system all the way and stop selling tickets to people who have obviously tried to evade paying the damn fare! More actual ticket inspections, more TVMs, fewer bloody barriers.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-04-2006, 16:36   #25
James Shields

One possible solution at Connolly would be to remove the sliding doors between the foyer and the platforms and put a long row of barriers there.

Reopening the old suburban station so that everyone isn't concentrated through a single point would also be a good idea.
Unread 25-04-2006, 16:53   #26
Kevin K Kelehan

Or even having the Amiens Street station as exit only in the mornings and entry only in the evenings with those who wish to access the main station doing so as a choice.
Kevin K Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:37   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The new turnstiles are in place in Clontarf Rd having arrived sometime in the last week or so, they had yet to be switched on when I passed through on Sunday
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-06-2006, 22:33   #28
al2637

What happens if you don't have a ticket when you arrive at the exit validation machine?

I assume they will have to have a member of staff available at all times to open the gate and let you through? or how is this going to work? In other cities, there is always someone manning a gate on one side who can let you through.. are we going to have this at every station?

Of course the best solution is to have open platforms, but we seem hell bent on going down the wrong road
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-06-2006, 22:42   #29
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The turnstiles are directly opposite the ticket office. There is a release button under the desk

I have no problem with the entry exit system its the standard practice it would be fine if there were enough turnstiles to handle the flow of people

Clontraf Rd should be a more suitable location for this kind of setup
Unread 18-06-2006, 23:48   #30
why_does_planning_suck
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
never mind the turnstiles and exit validation nonsense, no need for it at all.
Totally agree. Perhaps the unions don't want to have to implement in inevitable change in ticket procedure.... ....

A reguler user of the suas luas, ticket inspection happen a lot more often than might appear to the occasional user. And you are right it works.

Of course you are trying to apply sense , which is not something that springs to mind with I.E. !!!
why_does_planning_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-06-2006, 09:15   #31
al2637

Ease of access to the station is my main gripe with entry/exit validation. For instance, in Clontarf, they could put an extra set of steps at the opposite end of the platform which would make it a LOT easier for the majority of rush hour passengers accessing East Point. Would help alleviate the exit problem from the station too.

Also, does anyone know if the new exit validators will keep the ticket? I want to keep mine for expense purposes, and as the ticket vending machines don't give receipts, what options will there be. I believe I'm legally entitled to a receipt?
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-06-2006, 11:56   #32
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Luas stuff moved to members discussion.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-06-2006, 11:37   #33
James Shields

I agree an extra exit in Clontarf Road would be a good idea. In theory exit validation makes this easier, as you won't need ticket checkers at both exits. I presume this will be the case with the new exit being added at Tara St.

I've used the exit validation at Grand Canal Dock, but I have a yearly ticket, so I don't know if it keeps single tickets. This is generally the norm in other countries. The TVMs do give you a receipt if you pay by credit card - but you can't pay for a single DART journey by credit card. A simple solution would be to have a "print receipt" button, like you have on car park machines.
Unread 27-06-2006, 09:56   #34
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Hmmm, that's an issue in the LU too. Single tickets are retained on exit.

I'm sure they could add a receipt option.

I actually find the LUAS TVMs better programmed than the IE versions. The bit that really annoys me is that when you enter the destination etc.. it still asks you to press CASH before it'll open the coin slot.

Surely it should just open the coin slot etc anyway unless you press CARD

Also, neither the Luas nor the IE TVMs will accept my AIB Laser/Maestro card. It constantly comes up as "card unreadable" .. is there a particular problem with chip & pin Laser cards?
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2006, 14:49   #35
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Breaking news as many will have noticed AIB have festooned Pearse with ads, one of them had the tag line

......... faster than you can get through the new gates at Grand Canal Dock

The posters (at least 2) were removed within 48 hours but the gaps where they once were are still there
Unread 29-06-2006, 15:34   #36
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
Breaking news as many will have noticed AIB have festooned Pearse with ads, one of them had the tag line

......... faster than you can get through the new gates at Grand Canal Dock

The posters (at least 2) were removed within 48 hours but the gaps where they once were are still there

I saw the posters. Surprised at their removal.
Unread 29-06-2006, 15:40   #37
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Much as I would have liked to obtain one they disappeared before I got a chance with the camera

Just goes to highlight the poor acceptance of the new gates at GCD, its just too confined a space for it to work
Unread 29-06-2006, 16:29   #38
colmoc

Saw the posters too. when I went looking yesterday they were gone seems IE cant take a joke
colmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:18   #39
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Latest update is Clontarf Rd went live about 2 weeks ago, Lansdowne Rd secondary exit is the next one to be switched over, its probably the best location chosen so far
Unread 14-07-2006, 11:36   #40
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Default Spreading out

Does anyone know when Lansdowne will be up and running by?

It would appear that they are starting with the 3 central stations: Connolly, Pearse and Tara which have human ticket collectors and then working out from there. GCD, Clontarf and Lansdowne.

Next stations to be done maybe Killester and Sandymount?
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote