Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-12-2010, 18:10   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Does it make a difference to the passenger experience? No it doesn't

For the record the DART has been metric, meters and kph since it opened. Strictly speaking DART trains don't need speed limit boards and colour light signals as its all displayed on a screen to the driver.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-12-2010, 23:23   #22
neoncircles

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter t View Post
Why do Irish Rail continue to refer to their speed limits in miles instead of kilometers? Is it that they just couldn't be bothered to replace the signage?
Why fix it when its not broken and all that. When Irish road speed limits changed from miles to kilometers it had null effect on rail.
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-12-2010, 23:34   #23
peter t
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoncircles View Post
Why fix it when its not broken and all that. When Irish road speed limits changed from miles to kilometers it had null effect on rail.
Imperial measurements generally are a completely out-dated format in this country, not just in terms of road signage but in any line of business. IR will eventually come round and change it, as within a generation people will simply not know what a mile is.
peter t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-12-2010, 12:53   #24
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter t View Post
Imperial measurements generally are a completely out-dated format in this country, not just in terms of road signage but in any line of business. IR will eventually come round and change it, as within a generation people will simply not know what a mile is.
I certainly hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I despise the imperial system.

But that is somewhat off-topic for this thread.

I seem to recall some years ago, having read that concrete sleepers require a deeper ballast bed than older wood sleepers. Given the array of low bridges on that stretch, it doesn't seem practical to use concrete sleepers on ballast. So I just answered my own earlier question.

I would also wonder why the speed limit will be (probably) no higher than 30Mph? It will certainly be a welcome improvement over the crawling pace movement over the section at present, but still, you'd think with new rails etc it would be better. Any curves etc can't be that bad!
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-12-2010, 12:55   #25
sean

One last question. When it said that the works were "to" the 3rd of January, do they mean exclusive or inclusive.

i.e. will services restart on the 3rd or the 4th?
Unread 28-12-2010, 14:04   #26
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

The first planned services are for the morning of the 4 January. Even if they finish early, its unlikely that there will be enough time to organise drivers and station staff. There would be a limited number of trains run before the in-service trains to ensure things have bedded down properly and tolerances checked.

The curve is tight enough - only a few hundred metres radius. Much tighter than Dalkey Tunnel or most of the curves in the city centre, save maybe Newcomen Curve.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.016544&z=16
Unread 28-12-2010, 14:13   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The kph/mph situation is irrelevant and has no bearing on passenger experiences. If anyone has a problem with Irish Rail's use of imperial measurements they can take it up with the European Rail Agency. There will be no further discussion on this topic

The line is tightly curved hence the speed limit
Unread 30-12-2010, 20:38   #28
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Given the recent spate of appalling weather, Irish Rail are very lucky to have timed these works perfectly during a period of respite. There could have been delays for weeks if work had started but couldn't be completed on time due to poor weather.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2010, 22:14   #29
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If the track had been installed and maintained properly in the first place there would be no need for a closure in the first place.
Unread 31-12-2010, 00:12   #30
sean

Engaging in pure speculation here, but I don't know how they're going to reopen the line on the 4th.

Was down that way today and most of the deck track on the City bound line is still in-situ: they had only started trying to lift it this (Thursday) afternoon, and even then only at the very top of it at Dun Laoghaire's Southern turnout points.
From what I could see the Southbound line had been lifted totally, but the replacement wooden sleepered line was only built for a short section below Dun Laoghaire, and for another very short section, laid but not yet welded. But the yellow road-rail vehicles were busy ferrying track panels from Glenageary to Dun Laoghaire, using the City bound line to lay new track on the Southbound line.
Unread 31-12-2010, 01:00   #31
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They aren't doing the Dublin bound track at this stage, thats going to be held off until next Easter or Christmas. The plan was for only 1 track.

A short section of the Dublin bound approaching Dun Laoghaire is being done due to a set of points at that spot

At at 1am all I can hear is the sound of drilling, deafening
Unread 03-01-2011, 13:54   #32
Jack Funk
New to the board

Track due to reopen tomorrow morning info on Irish Rail website, looked over the low wall in Dun Laoghaire it looks good in fairness from up there!
Jack Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 15:44   #33
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Credit where credit is due: the PW people in IE generally finish projects on time and major posessions do not over-run. These are the people who also were at work at all hours in atrocious conditions keeping points clear of snow and in the recent big freeze. Well done.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 18:03   #34
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I wouldn't be patting anyone on the back

The works were disorganized and the line could have been complete and open today. The rail safety commission will be interested in a set of photos we received which raise questions concerning safe work practice and standards

The pace of work was amazingly slow, the southbound track was complete since effectively Saturday morning, but by Sunday evening not a single fishplate electrical bond had been bolted in

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 03-01-2011 at 18:07.
Unread 03-01-2011, 20:21   #35
karlr42

Also, most of this work is done by contractor, not PW staff who would have been clearing points.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 23:17   #36
sean

Took the train to South Dublin today, my first thoughts on the work done:
  1. A section of the cement deck track seems to be left on the Southbound line at S&G station
  2. The Southern points at Dun Laoghaire are gone - I think these were only ever a leftover from the days of boat/mail trains at Carlisle Pier.
  3. Coming back to the City Centre, our DART went faster on the Northbound (still cement deck) track. I was very surprised that such a speed, about 30MPH I would guess, would be allowed on this!
Unread 06-01-2011, 18:50   #37
Jack Funk
New to the board

Mark works were undertaken on the southbound on the sunday saw a yellow tamper machine on there doing work on the track looked to be lifting it. Doubt that it could have been back any earlier they were also working on the northbound on the sunday in various spots -- not as extensive as the southbound but a similar effort. Can you post pictures you are on about on here or are they for public viewing?
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:14   #38
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There was a series of logistical screw ups which delayed track laying during the week. The track panels were not built based on a survey of the line so some had to be cut to size on site, fishplate holes drilled and in one case an insulated block joint had to be spliced in.

Track was laid from the Dun Laoghaire end instead of from Glasthule end. Ballasting was done manually instead of using hopper waggons

An 8 series tamper can easily handle 1000m in an hour

No work was done on Christmas day or St Stephen's day

The gardai were called out several times to shutdown drilling at very early hours of the morning. Strangely drilling was silent for hours on end during the day.

An investigation has been launched by the RSC into an alleged serious breech of the Rail Safety Act.
Unread 07-01-2011, 17:16   #39
Jack Funk
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There was a series of logistical screw ups which delayed track laying during the week. The track panels were not built based on a survey of the line so some had to be cut to size on site, fishplate holes drilled and in one case an insulated block joint had to be spliced in.

Track was laid from the Dun Laoghaire end instead of from Glasthule end. Ballasting was done manually instead of using hopper waggons

An 8 series tamper can easily handle 1000m in an hour

No work was done on Christmas day or St Stephen's day

The gardai were called out several times to shutdown drilling at very early hours of the morning. Strangely drilling was silent for hours on end during the day.

An investigation has been launched by the RSC into an alleged serious breech of the Rail Safety Act.

I was talking to an engineer mate of mine and he said;
Your first Comment about panels being cut-- what about it? The plate holes woould have to be drilled on site for accuracy if they knew before hand they'd be cutting steel.
From Myself
What difference what end they started putting track in?
Who says an 8 series tamper can handle 1000m in an hour? Is it the manufacturer? thet usually exaggerate what anything can do from a toaster to a Tamper!
Agreed. No work done Xmas day or Stephens day-- Mayb to give the locals a quiet day or two before all the noise started or maybe they couldnt get contractors?
Don't know about your last two comments Im sure the RSC will investigate thoroughly.
Any hints as to what the alledged breech was?? Just a hint!!!
Unread 10-01-2011, 21:58   #40
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

I believe there was talk that the closure would require one or more movements over the South Wexford -did that happen?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote