Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-05-2007, 07:53   #181
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

4 machines which had been working in the new exit at Tara St. were today covered in bubble wrap and out of use.

Broken already?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2007, 13:07   #182
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Ticket vending machine issue moved to own thread http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=2467
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2007, 14:14   #183
luasifer
Regular Poster

Ok I would also like to make a comment on the new ticket validation machines.

I observed these machines for a period of about 30 mins while waiting in Connolly recently. During this time a lot of people had a problem with which side to walk through when they put their ticket in, locals and tourists alike. There were many people putting the ticket in on the left side so they are then walking through the wrong gate.

This could easily be avoided if IE only had one green arrow illuminated on each gate. What I mean is that on top of each slot where you enter your ticket there is a green arrow pointing in both directions. Surely there should only be one arrow illuminated to tell you which way to walk in!! This is certainly the case in other places such as London etc.
luasifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2007, 14:44   #184
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Luasifer, it's not an issue in places less exotic like Pearse station either....
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-05-2007, 07:28   #185
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

The brand new machines at Tara south exit are now reduced to one working machine, one with XX and the rest in bubble wrap and hazard tape......
Unread 16-05-2007, 08:23   #186
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Correct me if I am wrong.

You need a valid ticket to get onto the Platform / DART.

Not having one is illegal.

Paying at the other end is considered fare evasion and you must pay the "standard fare".

That station master in Seapoint / IE are complicit in illegal activities and should therefor be punished in our legal system.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-05-2007, 09:51   #187
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by luasifer View Post

I observed these machines for a period of about 30 mins while waiting in Connolly recently. During this time a lot of people had a problem with which side to walk through when they put their ticket in, locals and tourists alike. There were many people putting the ticket in on the left side so they are then walking through the wrong gate.

This could easily be avoided if IE only had one green arrow illuminated on each gate. What I mean is that on top of each slot where you enter your ticket there is a green arrow pointing in both directions. Surely there should only be one arrow illuminated to tell you which way to walk in!! This is certainly the case in other places such as London etc.
Yes, it doesn't look right at all. I don't think both arrows are supposed to be switched on.

I'm left handed and for some reason did that too without thinking about it and ended up invalidating my ticket at landsdown road on two occasions.

Why would it be any more obvious to someone that the ticket should to in on the right rather than on the left?!
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-05-2007, 11:19   #188
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Given there's sensors to detect people in the gate anyway,
they could have been programmed to work as you say mrX.
Unread 17-05-2007, 13:29   #189
byrneeo
Regular Poster

just to see if anyone noticed, the last time i was on a train, i went through right behind my friend at the ticket validators at connolly. I had a ticket, but just walked straight through. there were two ticket checkers by the machines, but none noticed. I also boarded at coolmine, where the ticket office was closed (it was a sunday afternoon and i bought one from the tvm) and could quite easily have completed the journey without a ticket. easily.
byrneeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2007, 14:34   #190
Mark

You are defo right, I dont think both arrows are supposed to be on. It is certainly confusing.

Apparently between 8 and 15% of people are left handed. Perhaps we should have one dedicated left-handed exit validation gate? Or would that be deeming left-handed people disabled? kidding. If the Christian Brothers ran the railway...

Seriously though, with all the advantages in medical science you would think they would have found a cure by now...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2007, 14:57   #191
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You are defo right, I dont think both arrows are supposed to be on. It is certainly confusing.

Apparently between 8 and 15% of people are left handed. Perhaps we should have one dedicated left-handed exit validation gate? Or would that be deeming left-handed people disabled? kidding. If the Christian Brothers ran the railway...

Seriously though, with all the advantages in medical science you would think they would have found a cure by now...
If the brothers ran the railways ther'd be no spelling mistakes.
Agus go deimhin, ní bheadh aon litrú micheart....
Unread 17-05-2007, 15:42   #192
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

as a left handed person (the women appreciate it you shower of right handed loosers) i find the damned things so confusing i always head to the one at the end!!!
Unread 17-05-2007, 15:55   #193
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Odd, I'm also one of the left handed elite but I haven't had any problems working out which side to go through
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2007, 16:10   #194
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOH View Post
Odd, I'm also one of the left handed elite but I haven't had any problems working out which side to go through
Elite.

We need a poll on the amount of ciotógí vs normal people.
Perhaps there's a disproportionately high amount in p11....