Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-02-2006, 11:47   #1
AthyCommuter
New to the board

Question 17.30 to Limerick

Has anyone noticed how packed this train is every evening? Last night I got the train 2 minutes before it was due to leave, walked the entire train trying to find a seat, then had trouble trying to find a place in-between the carriages so I could stand for the journey to Kildare.

Any word if there will be any additional carriages on this route? Although I suppose if the train is half empty by the time it departs Kildare, IE probably don't think it's worth it.
AthyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-02-2006, 12:14   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You will have to accept you will have to stand on what are now commuter services, it is infeasible to offer a seat to everyone. If you want to see overcrowding you might want to try the 17:13 Pearse Dundalk, 1200 people in a train 163 meters long

What you need is a extra train leaving at 17:35 calling at all/most stations to Newbridge that would get to Newbridge at 18:10, the bay platform being free since 18:03. This would fix the local demand issue. We have quite detailed plans for the Kildare local service which fit in with IE's plans

The mass sprawl of the Dublin commuter belt means people want to travel long distances which is the complete opposite to how you run an efficient mass transit system, by Kildare you have lost at least 100-150 people

The 17:30 to Limerick is a MK2d set last time I checked even a sizeable MK2d set (8 coaches) will only take 450. The 17:30 should be one of the services going to MK3 operation which would leave you with 457 (7 coaches) or 529 (8 coaches) seats. You can't add more seats as you run out of platform for extra coaches, you need more trains dedicated to local services to pull commuters away from intercity

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 23-02-2006 at 12:30.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2006, 16:28   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

that train only packs up at around 1715 onwards and can be standing at the platform before 1700. If it is possible (yes I know) to get there a bit earlier you should be ok. Yep it is a mk2d.
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:29   #4
AthyCommuter
New to the board

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
The 17:30 to Limerick is a MK2d set last time I checked even a sizeable MK2d set (8 coaches) will only take 450. The 17:30 should be one of the services going to MK3 operation which would leave you with 457 (7 coaches) or 529 (8 coaches) seats. You can't add more seats as you run out of platform for extra coaches, you need more trains dedicated to local services to pull commuters away from intercity
Am glad to say the 17.30 train last night seemed to be a newer one (excuse my ignorance at what is a MK2d or a MK3d!!) there seemed to be more seats on it, (I got on the train at 17.22) and I didn't see anyone standing when the train left the Heuston!!
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:59   #5
AZ1
Regular Poster

Question

Hi AthyCommuter;
I see you use the 17:30 to Limerick, but apparently commute from Waterford-line Athy. What is your travel plan? Just curious! Thanks!
I know that despite passing through several commuter towns, the Waterford line does not have great commuter services.
AZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2006, 22:18   #6
AthyCommuter
New to the board

Arrow Travel Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ1
Hi AthyCommuter;
I see you use the 17:30 to Limerick, but apparently commute from Waterford-line Athy. What is your travel plan? Just curious! Thanks!
I know that despite passing through several commuter towns, the Waterford line does not have great commuter services.
Apologises for the delay in replying to this, I have been 'out of action' and have not been commuting since Feb. due to start again tomorrow

My travel plan 'was' to drive to Kildare (leaving Athy at 7.40am) and get the 8.10 train, arriving in Heuston at 8.50am. On the way home, I'd get the 5.30pm (limerick) train, arriving in Kildare @6.10pm - then drive back to Athy arriving @6.30pm.

To me, this is the easiest option. Before the 7.36am train came to Athy, the 6.40am train was too early and the 9am train was too late. Even with the 7.36am train from Athy in the mornings, I will still get home an hour later, as I have to get the 6.25pm train from Heutson

Here's hoping there was some seats on the 7.36pm train from Athy!!!!
Unread 08-05-2006, 09:12   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Athycommuter, have you been following our Athy..... thread?