Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-09-2010, 09:32   #41
Freddy
New to the board

Does anyone know why the new trains arent stopping at Broombridge?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:17   #42
MugsGame
New to the board

Default Irish Rail abandoning Broombridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Does anyone know why the new trains arent stopping at Broombridge?
Because Irish Rail are abandoning Broombridge? I don't know what they are at.

Peak service frequency to Connolly reduced to 1/2 or 1/3 what it was since last Friday (depending on when you are travelling) and there are now no direct services to Docklands (online planner suggests "changing" at Clonsilla or Ashtown!). Weekend service is appalling.

Even with the old timetable trains were often early or sometimes neglected to stop at Broombridge when they should have - can't really take that risk now when you could be waiting ages for the next one. So bus it is if I'm coming from Broombridge. With no machinery on site Irish Rail can't have accurate passenger numbers for Broombridge, but such a drastic reduction in frequency is only going to ensure a decline in demand.

I didn't see any advance notice of this severe reduction in service to Broombridge (and Drumcondra.). The cynic in me thinks this is a negotiating ploy for funding to increase service when the LUAS interconnector arrives, but I don't think Irish Rail are capable of that sort of planning. The Drumcondra reduction is probably to allow them use the alternative route into Connolly that doesn't pass Drumcondra station. But that excuse doesn't apply to Broombridge, maybe they are trying to reduce the scope for fare evaders claiming they boarded at Broombridge?

Last edited by MugsGame : 10-09-2010 at 16:17.
MugsGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 10:10   #43
Freddy
New to the board

Ive emailed a few Tds and councillors to see if they can find out from Irish rail why the trains are not stopping at Broombridge.
Irish Rail dont seem to know why - they gave me the press guys name to talk to.
Unread 10-09-2010, 10:19   #44
ThomasJ

i presume its to save time, and to ensure that what resources are available are being used are being used to their maximum

bear in mind coolmine-ashtown are getting the same service as broombridge off-peak its peak that broombridge is losing out but maynooth and longford services are quiet frequent at that time

one major issue though..... only 1 platform is being used at Docklands STILL and as a result (i have noticed this on the 09:17 ex clonsilla) that the train has to sit outside docklands and wait for the train on the one platform to depart. The time being saved by skipping coolmine-brrombridge is being lost because of this wait and impacting on the journey ie broombridgev-glasnevin area

both platforms should be used at docklands to avoid this problem and speed up journies

Last edited by ThomasJ : 10-09-2010 at 16:28.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:29   #45
Freddy
New to the board

But surely they should be improving the service rather that cutting it.

You can no longer go direct from Broombridge to Docklands. This morning I got the train to Pearse and some people stayed on the platform waiting for the train to docklands - they were further up the platform or I would have told them the train no longer stops there. Surely they could have put up a sign informing that service was being cut.

I got through to someone else in Irish rail and they said there have been a good few callers and the matter is now being investigated with a view to getting the trains stopping at peak times but there is "no quick fix".

Its crazy that it was dropped at all from the schedule.
Unread 10-09-2010, 16:35   #46
MugsGame
New to the board

Quote:
coolmine-ashtown are getting the same service as broombridge off-peak
I'm not sure this is true, Docklands trains serve the former even off-peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
but maynooth and longford services are quiet frequent at that time
Perhaps, but some of the Maynooth-Connolly trains don't even stop at Broombridge e.g. 08:10, 09:36 from Maynooth. Though actually this is affecting Ashtown and Clonsilla too. The 9:36 appears to be a Sligo train so that's understandable, but not sure about the 8:10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Surely they could have put up a sign informing that service was being cut.
Yes, the lack of notice is one of my major issues with this change. At the very least signs in Docklands, Pearse and Connolly, plus on board announcements on affected services last Thursday. A sign in Broombridge unfortunately might not survive very long, but it would have been nice to see an attempt.

Broombridge has been a problem station but it serves a huge catchment area who deserve better. Less frequent service risks making it a no-go area.

Last edited by MugsGame : 10-09-2010 at 16:42.
MugsGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2010, 02:55   #47
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...279369240.html
Quote:
Call for rail services to be reinstated

Residents of Cabra and Finglas in Dublin are calling on IIarnród Éireann to reinstate services at Broombridge station which have been cut since the opening of the Dunboyne to Docklands rail line this month. Daily services at Broombridge station, Cabra, have been cut from 42 trains each way to 32 each way.

An Iarnród Éireann spokesman said omitting Broombridge from the new service was needed to ensure “strong journey times” from Dunboyne. It also reflected the usage of Broombridge.