Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-08-2009, 10:15   #1
ThomasJ

Default [Article] Angry commuters demand action over cycle thefts

Not exactly getting good PR today IE are they? Not suprised!

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/An...ver.5543933.jp

Quote:

Angry commuters demand action over cycle thefts

Published Date: 13 August 2009
By Paul O'Meara

COMMUTERS who cycle to Sallins rail station before travelling to Dublin are demanding that security at the station be improved.
John Richards contacted the Leader to complain about the level of bicycle theft taking place at the station as asked: "Is there nothing our newly elected public representatives or the gardai can do?

He also said that there has been a dramatic dropADVERTISEMENTin the number of cyclists using the station.

This issue will be raised with Iarnrod Eireann at a forthcoming meeting with the Naas and Sallins Rail Users Group, planned for September.

NSRUG member and councillor Paddy McNamara acknowledged that many complaints have been received and he called for a secure bicycle stand to be provided on both the Naas and Sallins sides of the station (currently there bicycles stands on one side only).

"It is a problem and it is very disappointing. There is no security as such at the station apart from people checking on cars in the car park and that it should be dealt with is a no-brainer. I don't imagine that the market for second hand bicycles can be very lucrative and perhaps these thefts are down to pure malice where somebody takes the bicycle and then maybe dumps it in the canal," said Mr. McNamara

He called for a the opening of a designated secure area where bicycles could be left and which could only be accessed by the holder of a swipe card.

"If this was put in place I don't think cyclist would mind paying a small amount. Some of the bicycles used by commuters can worth n500 or more."

Mr. McNamara also said there are many reasons why people should be encouraged to cycle to the station rather than driving; not least to avoid battling through the frequent traffic congestion in Sallins.

Community activist James Lawless also called for action to be taken.

"I use the bicycle myself and it will be a challenge for public representatives to get something. Obviously I hope that this issue does not drag on and pressure will have to applied to get a resolution," said Mr. Lawless.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-08-2009, 21:15   #2
ccos

A number of other countrys rent out bike lockers at train stations, would it be be possible for IE to provide similar facilitys?
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-08-2009, 01:55   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

there are a variety of options available, whether individual (for which I think a modest charge would be acceptable) or a "bike cage" that is perhaps accessible to monthly or annual ticket holders only.

http://www.esi.info/detail.cfm?R=22738_SO224PN

http://www.bv.com.au/file/elthamcage_01.jpg
Unread 14-08-2009, 07:44   #4
drumcondra commuter

Yea, Irish Rail could do that just like they provide wheelchair accessible trains, accurate in-train information, clean commuter carriages, safe footbridges, etc etc.
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote