Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-04-2008, 18:27   #1
andyl222
Regular Poster

Default Obnoxious ticket vendor in Maynooth...

Last sunday I was running to get the 11.36 into dublin connolly. I was with my brother, it was around 11.32 and I only had a 20 euro note to get my ticket withg. I went to the ticket desk and couldn't see anyone there, so I called out 'excuse me' and then knocked on the ticket tray hoping to rouse the attention of anyone that could sell me a ticket. After a minute, the ticket vendor comes from the back of the office and asks me why i was 'knocking on the ****ing glass?". I just asked for the 2 train tickets, and he kept on, saying 'don't you knock on that ****ing glass, go over there and knock on the machines all ya ****ing like but don't bang on the glass'. I said I was in a rush and simply wanted to get someones attention, and had actually knocked on the metal coin tray to which he replied, 'if I catch you knocking on that glass again I'll knock on your ****ing face!'. I told him that was wonderful customer service and said I'd complain, he just got up and went to the back of the office. Has anyone else encountered this blatant lack of respect and courtesy from other IE staff? The ticket vendor in question has in previous instances refused to sell me a ticket and told me just to use the machines, I point blank refused,because again I only had a 20 euro note,, as far as i'm aware I don't have to use the machines if I don't want.....
andyl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-04-2008, 19:39   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Not the first report of trouble getting tickets in Maynooth in recent weeks

File the complaint, its utterly unacceptable, of course the guy hadn't a name badge

Should of course point out the ticket vending machine doesn't cover the majority of tickets and there appears to be no obligation to use them, where as there is a legal onus on you to use the booking office if it is staffed and you don't have a ticket already
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-04-2008, 21:37   #3
andyl222
Regular Poster

in fairness Irish Rail is in such a shambolic state that i doubt they'd bat an eyelid if i told them that one of their employees threatened me with violence in a dispute at a ticket booth.... do you think they'd give a sh*t?
Unread 26-04-2008, 22:23   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you don't complain nothing will change, if you do complain something might, end of the day Irish Rail deny the fact passengers are subject to verbal assault by staff

There is an element of public name and shame here, actually we possibly have a first name on this guy in Maynooth for legal of course we can't post it
Unread 26-04-2008, 23:32   #5
andyl222
Regular Poster

well I don't know this cretin's name, but i know what he looks like,and as far as i can tell he works most sundays. perhaps if u also have a description of the individual you have in mind, i could confirm whether it's the same person.
Unread 27-04-2008, 10:49   #6
Rathkenny
New to the board

I have had numerous problems with one particular attendant in Maynooth too. I am an annual ticket holder and the ticket never works in the machines (even after I have got a 'new' ticket from Abbey street 7 times!) so the only way I can get access to the platform is through the gate beside the machines.

I had to ask for the gate to be opened most mornings & one particular morning this obnoxious man refused to open the gate until he was ready. It got to the stage where there were approx 20 of us waiting for him to open the gate and the train from Longford had arrived on the platform. A couple of men jumped over the barrier while the rest of us just screamed at the attendant. Eventually he pressed the button beside him to open the gate & I managed to get on the train just as the doors were closing.

I emailed Iarnrod Eireann as soon as I got to work that morning & got a response a week later to say that the station manager had been informed of the situation and that they apologise for the poor customer service!! In fairness though they now leave the gate unlocked most mornings so we don't have to suffer the hardship of speaking to this idiot & getting our day off to horrible start.
Rathkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2008, 12:02   #7
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Guys, I know this attendant and I know his first name.

Seriously, every time he treats you like this, put it in writing to:

Paul Slowey and Richard Fearn.

PM me if you want further details, this guy is the most ignorant and obnoxious person i've ever had to deal with and the sooner he gets disciplined, the better.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2008, 13:00   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Don't bother asking to see the station manager, always go direct to head office

End of the day if you where in the private sector you would be out on your ear in a matter of seconds for this kind of rubbish.

It's not just Maynooth, this is a problem in many stations. Obviously its a wait and see if something changes if not however if people could email in a summary of their experience along with date time it would be helpful to us to build up evidence

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 27-04-2008 at 18:19.
Unread 27-04-2008, 18:17   #9
CSL

you all have mobiles with videocams and conversation recorders.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2008, 18:32   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That then gives the member of staff the right to eject you, don't be stupid, don't look for trouble
Unread 27-04-2008, 19:00   #11
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
you all have mobiles with videocams and conversation recorders.
It shouldn't have to be the Cook report to get a bloody ticket from Irish Rail
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-04-2008, 10:43   #12
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Thankfully I dont use Maynooth station - that guy sounds horrendous. The more people that complain about him the better obviously.

In Mullingar they are usually fine but there was one guy a couple of years ago who asked to see my ticket 3 times on the same train journey - including once when I was asleep so I asked him why he kept needing to check my annual ticket. He told me in no uncertain terms that he would check my ticket as often as he ****ing liked and I if wasnt happy with that he'd get me ****ed off the train. Charming. I reported it but heard nothing.
Unread 12-05-2008, 19:08   #13
Billy Kehoe
New to the board

I have also had a run in with this gentleman, on the first sunday of the month I went down to the station in the evening to pay for a monthly ticket to pearse. I was waiting 29 minutes for this individual to come from upstairs, during this time a train had arrived and departed, the queue was 5 persons in length when he eventually came.

no apology was given, nor was any announcement made on the arriving or departing train.
Billy Kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 23:27   #14
weehamster

If this guy in Maynooth is a regular, then think someone should contact RTE prime time. They might head over to Maynooth, with their 'pin-hole' cameras and film someone trying to buy a ticket from this c**t.
Unread 13-05-2008, 13:46   #15
twintown
New to the board

Yeah i know this guy, he's an absolute pig. The number of times i've walked in and stood at the counter for minutes at a time while he's in the shop chatting to the women in there. He just stands there looking at you, once or twice he just told me to use the machines. I told him that i wasn't going to on account of getting 47 euro in change. He just sneered and went back into the office. When he was serving me my ticket he gave me my change in 5 5euro notes and loads of change even though i saw 10's and 20's there, I said it to him and he just shoved my ticket through the tray and turned his back on the window. He's a spiteful ould shlte. I dread having to deal with him.
twintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2008, 12:43   #16
Burningbarricade
New to the board

This guy sounds awful.

This thread has been open for quite some time now. Has the fella been dealt with yet?

And if anyone wants to do the mobile phone thing, don't forget to stick it on youtube. then email a link to a news outlet.
Unread 16-05-2008, 08:48   #17
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningbarricade View Post
This guy sounds awful.

This thread has been open for quite some time now. Has the fella been dealt with yet?
depends on your meaning of "dealt with"

Quote:
And if anyone wants to do the mobile phone thing, don't forget to stick it on youtube. then email a link to a news outlet.
Ah, the spirit of Roger Cook is alive and well. Just
Unread 16-05-2008, 08:48   #18
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
This guy sounds awful.

depends on your meaning of "dealt with"

Quote:
Ah, the spirit of Roger Cook is alive and well. Just remember our usual warning about IE property not to mention that anything you say isnt our policy. That said, have fun.
Unread 17-05-2008, 08:27   #19
twintown
New to the board

Default PUT IT ON THE INTERNET AGAIN!!

"PUT IT ON THE INTERNET AGAIN!!"
These were the words barked at me today while trying to buy a ticket off this ray of sunshine this morning. I was there to get the 7.58 into town. The ticket machines were not working so I went to purchase my ticket and was at the counter with some change to cover the cost of my ticket. when i put it down on the counter the guy said he wouldn't accept it as the fare had to be paid in 10 coins or less. When i asked him why he said "why don't you put it on the internet, go put it on the internet again!!" I had to call my friend back who was already boarding the train to give me larger change for mine so i could buy a ticket. This just goes to show that even having read the number of complaints about him and his abrasive attitude he is still at it. Time to make an official complaint against this lad. What a massive tool!!

Last edited by twintown : 17-05-2008 at 08:34.
twintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2008, 09:03   #20
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

That seems like inappropriate behaviour.

And legal tender is up to 50 coins per transaction, according to section 10 of the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote