Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-05-2011, 08:55   #1
BrianDeBruce
New to the board

Default Bicycle parking at Sallins

Hi,

I'm considering cycling to Sallins station and leaving the bike there during the day but I'm concerned that it won't be there when I get back...

From what I have seen on the Naas side, the bike shelter is less than secure, the poles are loose and could easily be dismantled.

There is a heavy duty parking frame but nobody seems to use it. Just wondering if there is a good reason for this - i.e. bikes are constantly being stolen?

Does anyone have any experience of parking their bike at Sallins on a consistent and secure basis?

Thanks,
Brian
BrianDeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-05-2011, 14:21   #2
brianfitz
New to the board

Hi Brian, I actually park mine there every day and there hasn't been an issue. Well, for the last 6 months anyway, but that's as long as I've been doing it!

If you lock it in the shelter near the kiosk there's actually cctv there if I remember correctly so that's something.

It's actually a quiet enough village, not much to worry about. Come to think of I've left it there overnight sometimes and once or twice over the weekend and it's been fine.
brianfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-05-2011, 19:40   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Make sure you have 2 locks - perhaps a shackle lock (needs a hammer to break it) and a cable lock (needs a saw to cut it). Most bike thieves won't carry both. Lock both wheels and the frame to something solid. Also, perhaps reduce the bling look to something ordinary.

For more advice post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=410

Last edited by Colm Moore : 04-08-2011 at 15:09.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2011, 11:06   #4
BrianDeBruce
New to the board

Cheers Guys!

Thanks for the advice. Time to leave the car at home!

Brian
BrianDeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:22   #5
brianfitz
New to the board

hmmmm. Annoyingly enough my bike was stolen from there 2 weeks ago. Got it back however when the little ****ehawk that stole it cycled past my house.
brianfitz is offline   Reply With Quote