Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-12-2005, 09:43   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [18-12-2005] Delays in Newbridge

I've got sketchy reports of an incident where a Dublin bound train (possibly from Cork) struck someone on the line on the Dublin side of Newbridge at approx 4:45pm on Sunday evening last the 18th. Best guess is the 14:30 Cork Dublin

Delays would seem to have been in the order of 90 odd minutes as a result. Now in this situation refunds are not issued* owing to the circumstances, the issue is did IE make a balls of customer information ?

Where you delayed as a result, if so let us know your experience either by posting here or http://www.platform11.org/passenger_issues/report.php

*If your ticket was unused since you couldn't travel as a result then you are entitled to a 100% cash refund from where you purchased the ticket. If you didn't get your money on the day its a little more complex http://www.platform11.org/passenger_info/refunds.php

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 21-12-2005 at 11:50.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-12-2005, 19:59   #2
KeithYoung

I was booked on the 18:00 to Cork, it left at 19:30. IE were on the ball as far as i could see about the delay. They had lots of staff out in the main hall to explain the situation to people and a looping announcement on the PA.

Given the circumstances they seem to have handled it well. perhaps it was because they had someone else to blame
KeithYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 14:02   #3
nlgbbbblth
New to the board

I arrived at Newbridge station at 16:55 on 18 December to board the 17.00 train ex Cork to Heuston.

As I was purchasing my ticket from the IE employee at the ticket office the telephone rang and the employee mouthed 'hold on' to me. After a couple of minutes he said got off the phone and said that there had been a person struck by a train and delays would occur. When pressed for an estimated time he said 'anything from 1 to 2 hours. The Gardai are at the scene and they will decide when services can resume'.

I got a refund straightaway as did other passengers who were already on the platform.

I had to ring my wife and persuade her to drive me to Dublin.
nlgbbbblth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 18:17   #4
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Angry Unprofessionalism taken to new extremes.

I was on the 9:00pm service Dublin-Cork on Friday (03/02/2006). The train, a mark 3, boarded and departed approximately 10 mins late for no apparent reason. However, Heuston staff did make an announcment appologising for the delayed boarding etc.

The "fun" started after boarding.

A completely unintelligable announcement in a very strong cork accent came over the intercom mumbling something about Kent station. This was followed by giggling.

There was no doors closing announcement. The doors simply shut.

The first stop, Kildare was announced after the train stopped and the doors were opened.

The doors had closed before the announcement was made warning that they were about to close.

Now for the really fun bit.

The speakers went live and we heard "Watch yer wan, she'll steal the sugar and the milk.." followed by giggling / horse play.

then "Gerry's here.. .Gerry's here... Gerry's here!" (or something along those lines).

They then left the microphone on for about 45 mins !!

The rest of the announcements for the entire journey were completely farsical. They were deafeningly loud, the mic was never switched off at the end of them and they were completely unintelligable.

I cannot understand how any company that claims to uphold standards could stand over this kind of utter nonsense. I would even go as far as to suspect that the crew making these announcements were possibly tipsy / drunk.

If this happened on an airline the crew would be summarily dismissed without any explanation. You'd simply have to pack your things and find a new job, in a different industry.

I am just amazed that this kind of nonsense can go on.

The faster they come up with an intercity PIS and automatic announcement system the better. IE staff clearly can't be let loose with a microphone!

Transition year work experience students would have more sense!
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2006, 15:29   #5
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Just as well Gerry was there, god knows what would have happened!!!!
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote