Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-07-2008, 12:07   #1
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Default Athy station car park - break ins

All, just wondering if anyone knows what IE are going to do about the spate of car break ins in Athy station car park? I was one of the unlucky ones two weeks ago but it seems to be continuing. This morning there were two cars with all windows smashed and it looks like someone tried to set alight one of them. I'd be the first one to admit that Athy is a hellhole but surely there is something that they could do (other than charge railusers to pay for security).
Kilkea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-07-2008, 12:23   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilkea View Post
I'd be the first one to admit that Athy is a hellhole
can I be second?

i'd imagaine that this is recent activity, if the station has CCTV they might be caught, but I'd bet that the tape is "lost" "broken" or the camera isnt working.
Unread 16-07-2008, 12:54   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This issue has come up numerous times before, needless to say Irish Rail don't really care. Newbridge, Kildare, Balbriggan are known trouble spots. The CCTV is invariably useless and even if it is working the thief's know the spots it can't see.

You are wasting your time with Irish Rail, local gardai are a much better place to start with

Irish Rail want to charge for parking at all commuter stations, its rolling out at the moment. Obviously its a stealth charge. There is reasonable level of acceptance of the charge if and only if a physical security presence is provided all day. If we are going to pay we deserve better. Of course Irish Rail have refused point blank to provide a staffed presence
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2008, 17:56   #4
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

big problem over here too, especially now that metal prices mean catalytic converters are valuable. In some ways a GO Transit lot with hundreds of cars is like a shop for these guys, they can take the exact make and model they want.

http://www.thestar.com/article/459534

as I've said before, I have zero problem with parking charges as long as there's a proper service provided which includes security and that any extra revenue goes to feeder buses. Charges without security is just a cash grab.

Last edited by dowlingm : 17-07-2008 at 18:00.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote