Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information > Concerts and Sport Specials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-05-2016, 16:22   #21
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I'd agree that it is risky for Irish Rail to be looking at night services, but it is quite frankly ludicrous that the last train past Maynooth leaves Connolly at 1905. You can't even get to Kilcock after that.

If you went the intermodal route - i.e. make Irish Rail return tickets and passes acceptable on Bus Éireann, there would be hard data as to how much demand there was for later services. This would cost nothing to implement aside from the odd forgone bus fare from taxsaver ticket holders.

This would probably result in sufficient demand to justify more bus services which could even lead to a point where there were enough people on buses to justify a later train.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2016, 19:52   #22
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I think I saw something on the Translink twitter that their tickets are intermodal after 1900.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Do the NTA apply same rules to BE and DB?
Quite possibly. NTA and BÉ had a huge row when the NTA bought them new buses and the NTA insisted they be put in NTA colours.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 28-05-2016 at 19:57.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2016, 14:28   #23
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
I'd agree that it is risky for Irish Rail to be looking at night services, but it is quite frankly ludicrous that the last train past Maynooth leaves Connolly at 1905. You can't even get to Kilcock after that.

If you went the intermodal route - i.e. make Irish Rail return tickets and passes acceptable on Bus Éireann, there would be hard data as to how much demand there was for later services. This would cost nothing to implement aside from the odd forgone bus fare from taxsaver ticket holders.

This would probably result in sufficient demand to justify more bus services which could even lead to a point where there were enough people on buses to justify a later train.
That's something for the NTA to decide - have you contacted them about it?

They dictate service levels now.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2016, 17:55   #24
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

The communication of special services for the Bruce Springsten event has been a bit of a disaster. TFI(NTA) were either misadvised or screwed up or both. Irish Rail loaded up the journey planner three or four days ago on the apparent assumption that there is a captive market waiting for white smoke from the timetable department or alternately Irish Rail think that everybody including customers decide their plans at the last minute.

And surprise surprise the no demand mantra will be trotted out at the merest suggestion of additional services and we have the figures to prove that nobody used the services we didn't tell them about !

As for TFI anybody for today's imaginary 1435 from Dundalk lads ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2016, 22:17   #25
Jamie2k9

Quote:
The communication of special services for the Bruce Springsten event has been a bit of a disaster. TFI(NTA) were either misadvised or screwed up or both. Irish Rail loaded up the journey planner three or four days ago on the apparent assumption that there is a captive market waiting for white smoke from the timetable department or alternately Irish Rail think that everybody including customers decide their plans at the last minute.

And surprise surprise the no demand mantra will be trotted out at the merest suggestion of additional services and we have the figures to prove that nobody used the services we didn't tell them about !

As for TFI anybody for today's imaginary 1435 from Dundalk lads ?
Totally agree, really poor compared to what they do normally for such big events. Somebody dropped the ball. They did however tweet last services tonight earlier.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-05-2016, 06:38   #26
James Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
That's something for the NTA to decide - have you contacted them about it?

They dictate service levels now.
I have suggested this to the NTA but they'll probably need to set up a six month study and consultation process to examine the possibility. I know that a while ago, they were looking at a 200 euro add-on to the Mullingar taxsaver fare as a pilot but it was never advertised and I don't think it applied to all buses. So I assume that they quietly dropped this due to "lack of demand".
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-05-2016, 15:58   #27
RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
I think I saw something on the Translink twitter that their tickets are intermodal after 1900.
It's just been introduced recently. Most tickets are now intermodal from 1830 onwards (within Northern Ireland).
RPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2016, 14:16   #28
Jamie2k9

They have actually released intercity services a whole 5 weeks before Beyonce on 9th July to Cork/Galway. All they need to do now is expand the offering...

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 04-06-2016 at 15:06.
Unread 10-07-2016, 13:54   #29
Jamie2k9

The specials to Cork and Galway had really bad loads for whatever reason last night and if they can make money on the back of them there is no excuses for any other route. Just under 200 on a 6 or 7 Mark IV and under 95 on a 3 coach ICR.

It puts management's "no demand" excuse on other routes to bed when you take the above numbers into account.

I'm sure if they spend a few quid on promotion of service it would help.
Unread 10-07-2016, 14:27   #30
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
The specials to Cork and Galway had really bad loads for whatever reason last night and if they can make money on the back of them
what makes you think they made money? That's the basis of the rest of your post.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2016, 16:59   #31
Jamie2k9

Quote:
what makes you think they made money? That's the basis of the rest of your post.
Because I don't see IE paying the NTA money to run a service which is loss making. If they don't make money then why not run more services? They have previously scrapped some late night Galway services because of even lower loading after some sporting events and if money wasn't the main aim then why not let pass holders on them?

The 2 Bruce Springsteen services were either sold out or had a handful of seats left and even operated with larger trains.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 10-07-2016 at 17:02.
Unread 11-07-2016, 06:53   #32
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

If you can't make money on 200 passngers travelling towards Cork (way more than the average load on a normal Dublin/Cork service) and 95 travelling on an ICR with minimal additional staffing costs then you won't be making money on near anything you care to run.

Having said that, Irish Rail are slow to publicise their special services and now tend to ignore many events - there were no special services from Waterford for the Munster hurling final in Limerick despite there being plenty of demand.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2016, 14:12   #33
Jamie2k9

Quote:
If you can't make money on 200 passngers travelling towards Cork (way more than the average load on a normal Dublin/Cork service) and 95 travelling on an ICR with minimal additional staffing costs then you won't be making money on near anything you care to run.

Having said that, Irish Rail are slow to publicise their special services and now tend to ignore many events - there were no special services from Waterford for the Munster hurling final in Limerick despite there being plenty of demand.
Yeah fair point, I think a min of 50 or 60 is what they require but there is no excuse in using "no demand" on other routes when less than 100 board a train to Galway. Waterford or Sligo could of matched or exceeded that.

I completely agree about the Munster Final, they could of filled a couple of ICR's on the South Tipp Line but it was never going to happen.