Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-03-2007, 17:39   #1
ThomasJ

Default Busking on the dart

I was on a peak hour dart north bound and there was a guy busking on the train. He seems to be doing it quite often. What is irish rails position on busking. Is it within their rule book?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 18:22   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its against the rules

Section 23 SI 109 1984

Quote:
23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus.
(2) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall, except by permission of an authorised person display or exhibit any printed, written or pictorial matter or any article for the purpose of advertising or publicity, or distribute any book, leaflet or other printed matter or any sample or other article;
(3) No person shall—
( a ) sell or expose or offer for sale or cause or permit to be sold or exposed or offered for sale any article or goods whatsoever; or
( b ) tout, ply for, or solicit or cause or permit touting or plying for or soliciting alms, reward or custom or employment of any description.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 19:04   #3
Oisin88

I like the clause in 23 (1) above where it says "to the annoyance of"
I was on the DART last week and a few kids had some sort of death metal or something playing. I was thinking to myself that if it was boyzone or shelflife I would tell them to turn it off, but I was quite enjoying the metal.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 19:34   #4
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

In Toronto buskers on 25 of the TTC subway/bus station platforms audition for their spots - the spots cost $150 (100 Euro) to the successful recipients. The auditions are open to the public and have run for about 25 years.
http://www.theex.com/whatson.php?menu=01:12
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 20:40   #5
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
In Toronto buskers on 25 of the TTC subway/bus station platforms audition for their spots - the spots cost $150 (100 Euro) to the successful recipients. The auditions are open to the public and have run for about 25 years.
That would be brilliant. I think in this country we seem to forbid everything e.g. no football on the streets, no drinking on the boardwalk, no music on the DART, instead of dealing with things in a more rational manner.
Unread 05-03-2007, 23:15   #6
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
I have to say that is the way to do it. But Celtic Tiger Ireland likes to forget its human side.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 09:57   #7
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
I have to say that is the way to do it. But Celtic Tiger Ireland likes to forget its human side.
The
"I can't give change to a busker, I need it for my double moccachino expresso skinny latte overpriced coffee when I get off...and anyway the racket they're making is interfering with my video iPod"
Unread 06-03-2007, 10:03   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

To be honest I'd rather they get lost and leave us to doze.

If I had a euro for every time I've come across someone busking or trying to sell me something I'd have enough for a night out. Its a big problem its annoying
Unread 06-03-2007, 17:14   #9
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

If I had a euro for every time I've come across someone busking or trying to sell me something I'd have enough for a night out. Its a big problem its annoying
You don't have to give them anything.
Unread 06-03-2007, 23:05   #10
N-13
New to the board

I've encountered the same busker guy. He always seems to get on at Killester and gets off at Raheny or Kilbarrack, he does it during the afternoon usually.

I gave him loose change the first time but now him and his music piss me off!
N-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 23:25   #11
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Funki4Wheelz View Post
The
"I can't give change to a busker, I need it for my double moccachino expresso skinny latte overpriced coffee when I get off...and anyway the racket they're making is interfering with my video iPod"
Eh...yep.
Unread 06-03-2007, 23:26   #12
Derek Wheeler

Quote:

Eh...nope.
Unread 06-03-2007, 23:26   #13
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-13 View Post
I've encountered the same busker guy. He always seems to get on at Killester and gets off at Raheny or Kilbarrack, he does it during the afternoon usually.

I gave him loose change the first time but now him and his music piss me off!
Eh....ask for a request?
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:02   #14
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I wouldn't have a problem with licensed buskers in the stations, but I think they should be kept out of the carriages. Not everyone wants to hear them and while you can walk past someone in a single spot, getting trapped in a carriage with it could become frustrating. Also, when they come looking for money, it can be intimidating for someone who doesn't speak much of the local language.

I've encountered this in France, the UK and the Netherlands. It's disheartening to learn that it's spreading to Dublin.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 20:29   #15
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

what I hate are people who hand out leaflets on the sly - and one Sunday a guy was leaving religious newspapers on empty seats/window ledges of the subway car. If you are paying a fee to TTC to spread your crap on advertising boards or the platform TV - fine. I don't like it, but that keeps my Metropass cost down a bit. But if you want to spread your crap for free then fewk off I say.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 21:56   #16
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The current trend is to go around leaving small trinkets on the seats of a coach then coming back and trying to sell them

The total lack of a security presence doesn't help
Unread 07-03-2007, 23:20   #17
Oisin88

Quote:
The current trend is to go around leaving small trinkets on the seats of a coach then coming back and trying to sell them

The total lack of a security presence doesn't help
Excellent. I've seen this in various other countries. not sure it will work on the irish. you give us free stuff and we keep it!
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:27   #18
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

23. (1) No person while upon the railway or in any vehicle shall to the annoyance of any other person or if requested not to do so by an authorised person, sing, perform on any musical or other instrument or use any gramophone, record player, tape recorder or portable wireless or television apparatus.

Does this mean if someone's on their phone, and it causes me "annoyance" then the other person is breaking the law? it's wireless and it's portable.

I'd wonder how this would stack up against article 41.6.1 of bunreacht na hEireann, if it's matter of public order or if it's immoral.

What used to bug me was the interference phones made to my walkman before a call came in.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 17:30   #19
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd View Post
I'd wonder how this would stack up against article 41.6.1 of bunreacht na hEireann, if it's matter of public order or if it's immoral.
One of my lecturers once told me that you only mention the constitution when you havent got a real case. He was right, as it happens.
Unread 12-03-2007, 17:50   #20
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Damn! You mean I can't bring my gramophone on the Enterprise or CDE/MK4.. I'd love to see how the needle would hold up

The free trinkets reminds me of a book club, we had some random company send books to our house and then try to bill us for them (no one had signed anything).
After a few threatening letters, I wrote to them suggesting that they pay the €800 storage fee that I was now charging for the safe keeping of their books.

Never heard from them again.

Last edited by MrX : 12-03-2007 at 17:52.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote