Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-02-2006, 19:28   #21
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark
Sean, I seriously suspect that the 75mph speed limit on the 2900s is a myth
No offense but you're kinda biased, you love those 29Ks I could easily say the same thing about the 071-Mk2d combo.

Quote:
and whether they are suppored to or not, drivers seem to regularly exceed it.
I would imagine there was some kind of safety control to prevent (or report after the fact) this happening.

Quote:
Give them a clear line, and they can really fly.
Shaking like a drunken monkey on steriods.

Actually this last time the ride wasn't that awfully bad, not as bad as it usually is.

But one thing I didn't like was that on the 4 coach train there were people standing and sitting on bags in the "general carriage area" a.k.a. "the floor" Hadn't seen that in years.

But I had taken Mk2ds up that day, and they too were in very fine form. A total joy to use as ever. Hard to believe these are possibly only days away from being pulled from mainline service.

I just have to stop taking the Sligo train becuase every time I do, I just end up getting more confused each time
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2006, 19:54   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This fella had a bad experience

Quote:
Train journey almost sent me off the rails

A DUBLIN businessman has written to the Minister for Transport Martin Cullen, the Health and Safety Authority and the Railway Inspectorate about what he claims was the "filthy, unsafe, unsanitary and uncomfortable" condition of a mainline train last weekend.

But a spokesperson for Iarnrod Eireann said that while they accepted trains could be crowded, especially at the weekend, the issue was one of comfort rather than safety.
They could not comment on the particular complaint and they had not yet received an correspondence, but they promised that the situation would improve in 2007/2008 when 120 new carriages would add comfort and allow greater frequency on inter-city routes - such as the one complained of.

Mr Owen Patten told the Sunday Independent that when he boarded the 2.25pm train from Westport to Dublin on Sunday last it was half full, but by the time it reached Ballyhaunis it was full.

"At Ballyhaunis, Claremorris and Roscommon, more and more passengers boarded, with the result that every gangway, every available space was filled with people and their luggage - even the spaces between the carriages," he said.

"Exit doors were blocked and the two toilets in the vicinity of where I was siting - carriage number 5223 - were locked and out of order. If there was any kind of emergency either on the track or in the train, I doubt if the rescue services would have been able to get to work very quickly.

"I talked to the ticket collector and he told me he had only got on at Castlereagh and couldn't do anything about it. At this stage I had given up my seat to an elderly nun who looked very frail," he added.

Mr Patten said that conditions were so bad that he and about 20 other passengers decided to get off the train at Athlone. "Some soldiers in uniform had to help a few elderly ladies off the train. We waited for the best part of an hour for the Galway train which was half full before we could continue to Dublin.

"I did asked to speak to the station master, but was told she was not available."
Mr Patten says he had a similar experience almost exactly a year ago so when he got home he rang some friends in Castlebar and Westport to ask them if there had been some special occasion that might have caused overcrowding.

"I was told there was nothing special, that this was a regular occurrence."

Willie Kealy
© Sunday Independent 2006
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=13638

Oh yeah you only need 1 door on each side
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 00:16   #23
James Shields

Quote:
No offense but you're kinda biased, you love those 29Ks I could easily say the same thing about the 071-Mk2d combo.
I like them - they do exactly what it says on the tin. The trouble is that it says "Commuter" on the tin in big letters. I'll be the first to agree they are not the right stock for InterCity services.

Quote:
But one thing I didn't like was that on the 4 coach train there were people standing and sitting on bags in the "general carriage area" a.k.a. "the floor" Hadn't seen that in years.
I'm guessing a 4-car Intercity set would have loads of room for everyone to sit. But the 2900s are designed to pack in the maximum number of commuters, with an average of 48 seats per car instead of 70+.

Quote:
I just have to stop taking the Sligo train becuase every time I do, I just end up getting more confused each time
Me too. But then, I'm going to Drogheda!
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2006, 21:21   #24
TomB

Default Curtains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
I was on the 9:00pm service Dublin-Cork on Friday (03/02/2006). The train, a mark 3, boarded and departed approximately 10 mins late for no apparent reason. However, Heuston staff did make an announcment appologising for the delayed boarding etc.

The "fun" started after boarding.
I had a similar experience meself...

Was sitting near the front of the train, just behind the 1st class (non-citygold section)

It was the same 9am service, but on Tuesday (7/2/06)

Train left 10 mins late, but the best bit was a guy arrived on at 5 past 9 with a supermac's bag full of fried goodies. *and* he had an IE uniform on. He went up to talk to his fellow jobsworths, and the muppets had left the mike on again, because we could all hear the slagging that he was getting over some IE staff night out.

Presumably as the IE guy arrived late he knew that it wasn't going to depart on time (unless the train was waiting for him?). I do try my best to relax when on an intercity run but I have to admit this is hindered by the thought that IE have put more padding in their timetable than a wonderbra just so some of their more juvenile staff can feck around and take the piss.

My mood was mollified somewhat by the charming non-Irish trolley lady (I agree completely with the comments that the non-Irish IE staff are way more professional than their Irish equivalents btw) -- there was a guy in front of me who decided to sit in standard class, primarily because he could get a seat of 4 to himself. But he had a first class ticket, and perhaps because he hadn't travelled 1st class before, he innocently enquired of the trolley lady were there any benefits to actually travelling 1st class.

There being no in-seat catering that day (surprise!), she thought for a second before replying: "Curtains". Class...
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2006, 23:12   #25
GavinG
Regular Poster

Angry Unbelievable !!!!

Yer man with the Supermacs bag, probably with the shirt hanging out of his arse. That kinda of crap drives me mad. It shows that
A. IE dont give a crap
B. No-one seems to be in charge
C. Customer service is non existent in this organisation.
D. Professionalism doesnt exist in this organisation.

Think about it. If that was you or me, coming into my office, late for work, munching Supermac food in front of my customers and loud mouthing over an intercom for all to her about "da grea nigh las nigh". I wouldn't be long in my job or at least have gotton a yellow card !

Yer man Fearn has his head in the sand when it comes to customer service and basic professionalism. Giving IE 100 Billion Euro wont change this type of carry-on im afraid, especially when the boss man is not seen to be the boss and has no respect from his own employees. This is what really seperates us from the rest of Europe not the lack of money.

Yes Bring in the foreign nationals - the sooner the better. Maybe one day they will give Fearns job to one of them. Maybe then IE might start to deliver a SERVICE and not just run trains !
GavinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-02-2006, 11:25   #26
sean

Default More fun and games on Sligo yestarday.

Got the 8:50 AM ex-Sligo train at Edgeworthstown. Don't remember if it was an 8 coach or 4, but there were standees in all cars >_< fortunately I found a seat that everyone else either overlooked or didn't bother with ...

Then the toilets (sorry toilet) was on the blink. Dunno what happened, door malfunctioned or whatever. Seems to be commplace ... I guess that's what happens when you stuff a 6 coach trainload of people into a 4-piece rolling trashcan.

The ultimate kick in the nuts came at Connolly station where our Mk2ds were lying idle in Platform 4 - and when I came back at 1:20 PM (for other reasons) and saw said set leaving for Belfast

"Life expired" my rear end. Give us back our half-decent trains you idiotic, pathetic, inept, moronic CIE/IE tossers.

Signed; Irish Rail's #1 fan - right behind TSheridan and Metrobest.

Last edited by sean : 14-02-2006 at 12:02.
Unread 14-02-2006, 13:52   #27
James Shields

Quote:
"Life expired" my rear end. Give us back our half-decent trains you idiotic, pathetic, inept, moronic CIE/IE tossers.
Just because they got pressed back into service for the Enterprise doesn't mean they're not life expired.

You would have gotten Mk3s if some Sligo polly'ticken hadn't shouted his mouth off about "second hand trains".
Unread 14-02-2006, 21:33   #28
John J
Regular Poster

Yep the Mk2s are gone for good off regular Sligo services as of today... except for the Friday & Sunday relief trains.

The last down service was last night's 17.00 ex Connolly which I was lucky enough to be on.... sitting across from two people lying back in their seats and discussing how the new trains are "so cramped" and how the old ones are "so much more comfortable".

Little did they know that was their last opportunity to travel to Sligo in some degree of comfort for at least two years.
That's after hundreds of millions of euro of OUR money have been pumped into the sham that is the Sligo line

Let's hope Mitsui get their act together, the regional DMUs arrive well ahead of schedule, and Fearn, in a moment of uncharacteristic insight, allocates them to where they're most badly needed

As for the Mk2s being life expired - I still refuse to accept that they couldn't have bridged the gap until the Mitsuis arrive. Just like the early bird being cancelled "because no-one used it" even though everyone from Mullingar onwards had to stand each and every week. This suits IE and that's all that matters.

Besides what state will the 29ks be in come 2008, after two years of racing up and down to Sligo. They're already cropping up numerous failures, broken toilets, faulty doors etc are everyday occurrences.

Last edited by John J : 14-02-2006 at 21:37.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-02-2006, 22:21   #29
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We tried but as usual IE wouldn't play along

http://www.platform11.org/campaigns/sligo/

Quote:
In August 2005 Platform 11 contacted senior management in Iarnród Éireann with our concerns and offered a solution (using different trains) to Iarnród Éireann. In a written response but they chose to ignore the issues we highlighted. A face to face meeting followed. In response to Iarnród Éireann failing to even acknowledge our concerns we have contacted the Interim Rail Safety Commission (IRSC) highlighting our concern that the use of suburban rolling stock on intercity duties would lead to a reduction in safety and introduces risks that were not present before, particularly with relation to lack of storage for luggage and also nowhere to securely store the catering trolley. We note Iarnród Éireann had not provided the IRSC with a a copy of their internal safety assessment required by Company Safety Standard No. 6 at the time of our complaint 2 weeks after the new trains had entered service.
We even got close to getting the 29000 units declared unsafe for intercity use but where scuppered by the timing (had they been introduced now and not November it might be different)

The MK2d coaches are past it several coaches have already ben added to the scrap line. IE don't give a damn about Sligo (or Rosslare) and the Mitsui railcars are courtesy of the NRA being under budget last year not some long term plan from IE, the 36 new 29000 unis are also courtesy of the NRA. That said I expect to see them on Dublin Belfast first

This is not a closed issue just one where there wasn't enough bad feelings on the ground to cause a fuss that changes this week

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 14-02-2006 at 22:34.
Unread 15-02-2006, 10:05   #30
sean

Don't forget the trains are all new as pointed out in the 29Ks round 2 thread, so the real problems with crap ride quality are just going to appear gradually.

I for one would advise all Sligo line passengers to get the bus from now on

BTW, having just seen our Mk2d trains going to Belfast the other day, I'm starting to think Mark might be right about the IC DMUs going to Belfast rather than Sligo and Rosslare.

The question is, how do we deal with the circumstance where that happens? I could have sworn that the 29Ks had been doctored just enough to make them barely acceptable for long-term IC duty.

Last edited by sean : 15-02-2006 at 10:12.
Unread 15-02-2006, 10:23   #31
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

I don't buy the idea of the IC DMUs going to Belfast rather than Sligo. The extra 30 units ordered are (as far as I am aware) 3-car units and would not have the catering or the Premium/First Class accommodation necessary for Belfast services. Also would there be corridor connections between two 3-car units?

Having said that, nothing can be ruled out: I could be mistaken in taking a rational view of things.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-02-2006, 12:51   #32
James Shields

I don't think the IC DMUs can go to Belfast, except maybe for relief services when the regular enterprise breaks down. The Enterprise is a 50/50 venture, so IE are not going to put new stock on and give NIR a free ride.

I've heard talk of some Mk3s being put on the route to increase frequency. How would that work? Would IE be providing the coaches and locomotives and still giving NIR hald the revenue?
Unread 17-02-2006, 16:19   #33
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

15/2/06 1730 Heuston Limerick

No announcement on board as to what train it was till we were past Park West or an announcement that we were pulling off soon. No pa until portlaoise and then in our carriage it was a whisper.

Between Ballybrophy and Templemore the guard came in and asked if we heard the pa. We told him it was very quiet. He said that was funny as people in the other carriages were giving out because it was so loud. He went off to try and fix it and but it was still on whisper coming into Templemore.

OT but half the train got off in Ballybrophy (remember the Nenagh Limerick Thread). Same apparently for the 1830 to Thurles. Now of only there was a railcar waiting for BOTH trains...............
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2006, 15:32   #34
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I'm sure IE and NIR could hammer out some kinda deal to get the MK3s onto the route if they need them.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2006, 17:32   #35
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjstamp
OT but half the train got off in Ballybrophy (remember the Nenagh Limerick Thread). Same apparently for the 1830 to Thurles. Now of only there was a railcar waiting for BOTH trains...............
18:30 doesn't call at Ballybrophy
The reason you get off the 18:35 to Thurles at Ballybrophy is because the 19:00 to Cork calls at Ballybrophy Monday to Thursday and Saturday, its quicker to change as the 18:35 is held in the loop platform to allow the 19:00 overtake, I'm serious its a very strange setup

There is no notice in the timetable telling you to change, nor does the departure board in Heuston tell you to change, that said

The train in platform 4 is the 18:35 to Thurles, passengers for Thurles and Templemore should change at Ballybrophy

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 19-02-2006 at 17:36.
Unread 20-02-2006, 09:59   #36
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

I ment the 1835........ in the station in templemore they've a handy timetable which does say you've to change at Ballybrophy on that Thurles train. I've never had to take it myself but it does seem a bit strainge. Maybe when the next timetable comes out it'll make more sense.
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2006, 11:13   #37
turnapin

Strange experience on the 18:00 Connolly-Longford yesterday evening when the driver appeared to reboot the train before departure (all engines and lights off). Displays and announcements worked a treat though.

Also, still seem to be 2 Mk2's on Connolly-Sligo at the moment.
turnapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2006, 11:40   #38
James Shields

I've seen something like that happen on 2900s occasionally. I've experienced the train stopping in the middle of nowhere, wait for a minute or two, all engines go quiet and lights go off. Passengers look around thinking "uh-oh this doesn't look good." After about two seconds the engines start up again and the lights come back on, and a few seconds later the train moves off again.

Very strange when it happens, but it doesn't happen very often and when it does they don't seem to waste any time about it.

Despite the misgivings some people have about them, the 2900s seem rock solid, and I've only once been delayed by a mechanical problem with one of them - and even then, most of the delay was caused by people bailing out on to the tracks when they were perfectly safe in the train.
Unread 24-02-2006, 22:15   #39
Red Alert
Regular Poster

The DMU's are a travesty. They're good for runs like Celbridge or even Dundalk. But compared to the Mk3's they lose. They are loud (since they're a bus diesel engine and an automatic transmission) and uncomfortable. The internal styling seems to go for big curves and it looks to be honest like a public toilet on wheels.

I don't buy the scripted announcements thing (or even the automatic ones). The real human-being ones do add a personal touch. Let's keep them!
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2006, 22:29   #40
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert
The DMU's are a travesty. They're good for runs like Celbridge or even Dundalk. But compared to the Mk3's they lose. They are loud (since they're a bus diesel engine and an automatic transmission) and uncomfortable. The internal styling seems to go for big curves and it looks to be honest like a public toilet on wheels.
There fine for short to medium distance commuting. The curved surfaces are following accident experience sharp edges and corners are not a good idea,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert
I don't buy the scripted announcements thing (or even the automatic ones). The real human-being ones do add a personal touch. Let's keep them!
Well you are going to have to put up with the rule book says you will have automatic announcements its a requirement. IE staff can't be trusted to make a clear pa in good time. A consistent common voice is of importance to those with a disability