Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-11-2013, 16:35   #181
Traincustomer

just a suggestion that may be of help if using the 02.45 out of Fishguard you could consider getting a cabin. It's not going give a full night's sleep but it'll give a few hours. 2-berth en-suite cabins are €40/£32.

Re: Rosslare-Pembroke Dock - SailRail was tried around the turn of this century (shuttle bus between Pembroke Dock ferry terminal and station) but it was then dropped due to poor/low demand. Megabus run an overnight shipside service between London and Pembroke Dock in connection with the night-time Irish Ferries sailing each way. The plus of the Eurolines and Megabus services is that they run through to London. The downside is that they take longer than the train from Fishguard though rail passengers must change trains in South Wales.

The Rosslare-Pembroke route is handy for anyone travelling to the immediate area and the likes of Tenby.

Good news about a third Irish Ferries vessel on the central corridor. Presumably foot passengers and SailRail will be accepted though I could understand if they're not as there's already several options between Dublin and Holyhead. The press release mentions targeting the freight and tourism markets, though the latter is very broad and you'd expect it implies tourists travelling by all means.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 16:44   #182
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

At one point, Stena seemed to be considering a different sailing plan, which would see them cut their turnaround times and then have a longer overnight sailing that would have made getting a cabin and 6 hours sleep more practical.

It would also have brought back the arrival time of the afternoon sailing from Fishguard to Rosslare.

I would guess that as we haven't seen it appear in any 2014 timetables that it's not going to happen now, which is a pity from the rail integration perspective.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 16:51   #183
Traincustomer

Maybe they might look at it again in the future (that's just what I hope and not based on anything). It would be quite appealing.
Unread 16-11-2013, 15:33   #184
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post

On a more general note Irish Ferries have just announced increased frequency between Dublin and Hollyhead from December a new ship will be added to the route along with 2 extra sailings daily.

http://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/news/news131107/
Have learned that it's only available to passengers travelling with/in a vehicle. That said I don't see it as an issue (but it was good to mention it) as the Stena Nordica sails at very similar times (SailRail available on Stena Nordica).
Unread 16-11-2013, 17:56   #185
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

When the Nordica started it didn't allow foot passengers so expect the same will follow from IF.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2013, 21:43   #186
ThomasJ

Additional sailings from Irish ferries coming 24th November. Seems to be a response to the changes stena line made for foot passengers earlier this year.

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/ro...blin-holyhead/

Last edited by ThomasJ : 16-11-2013 at 21:46.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-11-2013, 10:00   #187
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
When the Nordica started it didn't allow foot passengers so expect the same will follow from IF.
I wonder what the point of that is meant to be.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2013, 15:57   #188
Traincustomer

Default Times for purchasing SailRail at Connolly

A notice advising the times during which SailRail tickets may be purchased at Connolly has been on display at the ticket office in recent times:

Mon-Sat inclusive: between 09.30 & 12.30 and between 14.30 & 16.30
Sunday: between 11.30 and 15.30

Basically off-peak times.
Unread 24-11-2013, 19:03   #189
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
A notice advising the times during which SailRail tickets may be purchased at Connolly has been on display at the ticket office in recent times:

Mon-Sat inclusive: between 09.30 & 12.30 and between 14.30 & 16.30
Sunday: between 11.30 and 15.30

Basically off-peak times.
Makes sense - buying a sail'n'rail ticket there is quite a long process.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2013, 19:58   #190
Traincustomer

Some months ago when I was buying one at Connolly a second staff member came to issue the ticket. This seems a more customer-friendly approach than limiting the hours for purchases.
Unread 23-05-2014, 08:18   #191
plant43

Does anyone know if you can break a journey overnight using sail'n'rail if you cannot complete the journey on the same day?

I'm planning to get the 1510 Stena Line ferry to Holyhead and I won't be able to reach my destination on the same day (the National Rail planner confirms as much).

Thanks.
Unread 23-05-2014, 08:25   #192
James Howard

While on the subject, does anybody know if I can buy a one-way UK to Ireland SailRail ticket in Ireland? I'm going to the UK by other means in the next month or so and wanted to SailRail home,
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2014, 11:07   #193
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

You should be via the Arriva Trains Wales website
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2014, 11:08   #194
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
Does anyone know if you can break a journey overnight using sail'n'rail if you cannot complete the journey on the same day?

I'm planning to get the 1510 Stena Line ferry to Holyhead and I won't be able to reach my destination on the same day (the National Rail planner confirms as much).

Thanks.
That should be perfectly allowable, provided you resume your trip at the first opportunity.
Unread 23-05-2014, 11:15   #195
haddockman
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
You should be via the Arriva Trains Wales website
Or Irish Ferries, they do online sail/rail bookings.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2014, 13:55   #196
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
Or Irish Ferries, they do online sail/rail bookings.
Not for journeys originating from the UK.
Unread 28-05-2014, 15:24   #197
Jamie2k9

From 3 June to 31 August the evening service between Rosslare and Dublin is defered to 18.35 Monday-Sunday to connect with the ferry. However regular customers on the 17.36 ex Connolly won't be to pleased with a long wait in Gorey.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/08_-_d....pdf?v=ga4dkqy

Guessing haveing it 40 minutes earlier than last summer is to keep costs the same all year round?

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 28-05-2014 at 15:31.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2014, 14:01   #198
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

And the good news is that it is set up on the British National Rail Enquiries planner, so through sail/rail bookings can be made on it.
Unread 12-06-2014, 15:48   #199
Traincustomer

Default Stena Line SailRail brochure

The Stena Line 2014 SailRail brochure (edition 1 published in April) is available from the leaflet racks in Connolly and details fares on their routes ex Rosslare, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin and Belfast (into Scotland via Cairnryan).

It's been a few years since I've seen any SailRail take away literature at stations here so this is welcome.
Unread 12-06-2014, 16:03   #200
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
While on the subject, does anybody know if I can buy a one-way UK to Ireland SailRail ticket in Ireland? I'm going to the UK by other means in the next month or so and wanted to SailRail home,
Just saw this now and maybe I'm already too late to help for your forthcoming journey.

A few years ago I bought an England-Ireland SailRail from Irish Rail over the 'phone without any issues (was posted out to me but deadline for this method is a week before travel). Normally buy a return from here or buy single over there/online.

Longford station should be able to issue one too.