Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-09-2014, 18:20   #141
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Good to see 14 is back to.

Not really relevant to this threat (new one?) but it still poses a big question of when the 22's go to Belfast and the major impact to services could very easily require at least 2 more Mark IV in service.

At all times at least 2 FC sets will be needed in Connolly, 1 operating and 1 spare/close by combined with the very likely possibility that 8 coach will be needed at busy times (ie Friday).

The FC sets are in high demand and operate as all STD on many routes so losing two will cause big issues as 4 coach will be to small and there won't be enough 6/7 units available to make up the shortfall while 8 coach units are limited to Cork and possibly Limerick (which would never need 8 sets)

A fifth Mark IV will free up 1 FC set and a sixth will have minimal effect unless it was scheduled on another route such as Limerick. Either that or we may need to see some 4 coach sets being increased to 5 and the number of 3 coach units being increased as a result. I could possibly see them favoring changes to 22 than increasing Mark IV if they had to. Then again possibly a very long shot, NIR may step in on busy days to very unlikely imo.

I'm thinking IE hadn't planned on bringing a fourth Mark IV back at this time and will have some big decisions to make in the coming months.

Passenger numbers must be doing well which is a positive.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2014, 19:41   #142
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Good to see 14 is back to.

Not really relevant to this threat (new one?) but it still poses a big question of when the 22's go to Belfast and the major impact to services could very easily require at least 2 more Mark IV in service.

At all times at least 2 FC sets will be needed in Connolly, 1 operating and 1 spare/close by combined with the very likely possibility that 8 coach will be needed at busy times (ie Friday).

The FC sets are in high demand and operate as all STD on many routes so losing two will cause big issues as 4 coach will be to small and there won't be enough 6/7 units available to make up the shortfall while 8 coach units are limited to Cork and possibly Limerick (which would never need 8 sets)

A fifth Mark IV will free up 1 FC set and a sixth will have minimal effect unless it was scheduled on another route such as Limerick. Either that or we may need to see some 4 coach sets being increased to 5 and the number of 3 coach units being increased as a result. I could possibly see them favoring changes to 22 than increasing Mark IV if they had to. Then again possibly a very long shot, NIR may step in on busy days to very unlikely imo.

I'm thinking IE hadn't planned on bringing a fourth Mark IV back at this time and will have some big decisions to make in the coming months.

Passenger numbers must be doing well which is a positive.
Why would you need two First Class sets in Connolly? They only have one Enterprise set there as it is.

I'm pretty sure you'd see the status quo - if the ICR fails, a 29k would replace it.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2014, 19:52   #143
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
Why would you need two First Class sets in Connolly? They only have one Enterprise set there as it is.

I'm pretty sure you'd see the status quo - if the ICR fails, a 29k would replace it.
Fitting 3 units is not for no reason. They will keep it close by, possibly scheduled on Sligo services. Even if they just give one set over the current changes from this week are a welcome but there will still be problems with overcrowding. They only act when it gets to a critical level. 100 passengers standing don't seem to be an issue for them currently. As the economy continues to improve so will passengers and IE will need to deal with the issues. The current standard line from customer service of "your comments will be passed to operation planners at Heuston" isn't a long term solution when there is usually no solution to the problem.

The real problem is getting capacity right and IE will not replace current 5 coach service with 6 or 7 and this is where the problem lies. Its an extra cost and you will have lots of 4 coach units. Remember out of Heuston 4 coach operations have being the biggest benefit to Cork services and as Mark IV gradually take over again this is where the issue is. You currently see very few lone 4 coach operation on other routes bar the odd off peak services usually ex Heuston excluding Athlone/Portlaoise commuter. Connolly is a different story.

Its speculation of course however the majority of passengers wouldn't trust IE to ensure services are protected fully when the changes happen.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 27-09-2014 at 20:09.
Unread 28-09-2014, 19:58   #144
joey
Regular Poster

The ante was upped this evening. 1800 ex Sligo was an 8 car 29k, credit where credit is due. Pity it was a 29k, suppose beggars can't be choosers
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-09-2014, 11:08   #145
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Just for the benefit of others can we refrain from acronyms in posts thanks.
Unread 19-10-2014, 16:57   #146
Jamie2k9

Irish Rail must be having great fun, 18.05 has gone from an over crowded 5 coach to a 6 coach which matched demand down to a 4 coach....sure why not stick a 3 coach or not even run the service for the crack.

Demand for Waterford-Limerick J must be booming as it gets increased to a 4 coach train tomorrow....

The NTA will be getting a call tomorrow.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 19-10-2014 at 18:31.
Unread 20-10-2014, 09:37   #147
James Howard

I've long since given up on the 1805 to Longford when they stopped using intercity rail cars on it. I can usually get a useful hour's work done on the way home, but it just isn't possible for me on the cramped commuter trains.

Irish Rail are being incredibly short-sighted in their use of inadequate rolling stock on the Sligo line. With the cost of fuel, tolls and parking, a lot of people around me have gotten into the habit of taking the train to Dublin from Edgeworthstown or Longford. But now with the economy starting to improve a bit, as the car is more comfortable, people will switch back after one or two commuter railcar journeys despite the extra expense.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-10-2014, 16:54   #148
Jamie2k9

I suppose I should be grateful, they are preparing passengers for it to become a permanent measure from 23 November once 22s begin serving Belfast.

The biggest problem is passengers who don't get a seat on a Friday or a Sunday and how they expect them to pay full price for the pleasure to stand and retain them at the same time. The general attitude from students is the train is only a few euro extra over the bus something which IE should be capitalizing on. Not something you hear to often when it comes to bus v train.

This coming Bank Holiday Monday will be the fifth in a row where they will throw a 3, possibly a 4 coach if you lucky and make an excuse for the inadequate capacity. 90% of loads on Sunday will automatically transfer to a Monday but they don't do a single thing about it.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 20-10-2014 at 17:00.
Unread 28-10-2014, 08:22   #149
James Howard

This seems to have become normal pattern on the Tuesday following a bank holiday but the 0545 from Sligo this morning was only 4 cars instead of the usual 7. Very uncomfortable stuffy journey on a wet miserable morning as the air conditioning couldn't cope with the wet coats, etc.

We'll probably be back to 7 tomorrow morning with about 30% less load. The fruits of last year's "capacity reconfiguration" still keep giving on the Sligo line where the 0545 is too long and the 0700 is too short. The former is slightly busier but not by much.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote