Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-05-2007, 12:59   #21
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

dowlingm,
DB are in competition with IE though....

This station is peculiar in that it's between two towns, the footpath is about a foot wide, the kerb is about an inch high due to trucks overrunning it and it's incredibly dangerous for pedestrians in darkness to get to.

Plus you have the muppets in the so called Fingal County Council, who can talk the talk about proper planning but can't crawl the crawl, never mind walk the walk, regarding proper planning.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2007, 13:26   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Iarnrod Eireann run trains not buses, in a sane world Dublin Bus would run buses to every station.

Of course this is Dublin so sanity goes out the window. Dublin Bus of course refused to implement proper feeder buses for DART and have used the licensing cover up for the Luas.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2007, 14:52   #23
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

There's a thread about the DOT not letting DB pick up passengers west of the M1 on the brand spanking(is there an election ?) new route 142

SNCF do both though. They're pretty good at it too.
Unread 23-05-2007, 14:54   #24
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Dublin Bus [...] have used the licensing cover up for the Luas.
What do you mean?
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2007, 15:08   #25
andyroo
New to the board

I have a bit of a question about rush & lusk station. seems to be something of a fingal thing in general actually...

why is there no pedestrian way between the station and the village of rush?

maybe there is now? there certainly wasn't a couple of years ago when I was last there... we were thinking possibly of moving to the area as it might be a bit cheaper than where we are now. but we gave up trying to walk on the narrow shoulder of the very busy road and ended up not looking round rush at all. we've kind of written it off in fact, just because the access from the station is (was) so bad if you don't drive.

it'd be a bit of a hike to do every day sure, but it'd be nice to know you could do it if you wanted to.

in a more general vein, doesn't anyone walk anywhere in fingal? there seems to be a bit of a problem with pedestrian access all round. as another for instance, I can't believe there still isn't a proper sidewalk along the swords-malahide road, despite the massive development along it in the last five years, since I arrived in the area.
andyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2007, 15:14   #26
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Every new route, route change must be ok'ed by the DoT

Now its true the DoT have been less than quick to process these you get the feeling following the Luas situation (need I say 17,75,114 again) that Dublin Bus just couldn't be arsed.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2007, 15:29   #27
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Andy
There has been roadworks between Lusk and the station for the last 3 months or so. firstly both sides of the road were dug up to install fibre for a MAN
which couldn't both be put in the same hole, then the footpath is being improved from Lusk to the station. It's about half done at the minute. We'll see on Friday if it's still being done.....

I don't know too much about the Rush side, some few yards were done from the station towards Rush ( ~100 yards) last year but I dunno how much else has been done.

I can give you a pretty good example of the incompetence regarding non provision of footpaths.

Read what the Manager of Fingal co.co said here in December 2006
http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/200...SB20060410.htm

And here in Janurary 2007
http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/200...SA20070059.htm
Read section C

Now this planning permission was not granted in the few months of this last winter or Spring....
Unread 23-05-2007, 16:13   #28
andyroo
New to the board

thanks colm

so... does that mean that a developer not only isn't obliged to provide pedestrian access, but actually has to seek permission from the council if he wants to build it?
andyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-05-2007, 08:51   #29
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Nope, I think it means that the manger was confused as to the conditions of the planning permission and accidentally misinformed the elected representatives.

Getting back to a railway related topic,
Fingal co. co have been knocking around with the idea of a pedestrian & bike track from Malahide to Donabate beside the railway across the estuary viaduct.
This is progressing very slowly though, at present. It was first mentioned about 2 years ago.
I'd like to see a similar bike/pedestrian path across Rogerstown to Donabate but can't see that happening.