Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-01-2008, 14:12   #1
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Default Daily seat Lottery - Connolly to Mullingar not 17.05 but 18:05

I know for a fact that not being able to get a seat regularly on this service is affecting more than me so was just wondering has anyone been sending in complaints like I have just done below and if so what sort of a response are you getting?

'I'm sure this is a complete waste of time but I am going to go through with it anyway and mark my words I will complain from now on EVERY single time that this happens. I pay in excess of €2000 per annum for my annual train ticket from Mullingar to Connolly and repeatedly evening after evening I take part in the lottery for seats. Yesterday I had to stand in crowded conditions you'd hardly find in India as far as Maynooth. It's disgraceful and unacceptable. I seen a comment attributed to Barry Kenny recently in the Westmeath Examiner saying that he would not be doing anything about this as there are ample seats from Maynooth onwards. Thats so arrogant and rude beyond belief. I am a customer and pay for a ticket from Mullingar to Connolly for a seat not for an uncomfortable stand still till I am halfway home.'
Ballymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 14:33   #2
CSL

You're paying for a ticket not a seat...
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 14:45   #3
ThomasJ

Quote:
I pay in excess of €2000 per annum for my annual train ticket from Mullingar to Connolly and repeatedly evening after evening I take part in the lottery for seats. Yesterday I had to stand in crowded conditions you'd hardly find in India as far as Maynooth
The 17:05 doesn't stop in Maynooth. Mullingar is the first stop.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 14:54   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
You're paying for a ticket not a seat...
Thats not really a terribly helpful answer.

No passenger should have to stand on an intercity journey. Its 54 minutes to Mullingar on the 17:05, standing for that duration is not acceptable, especially on a train which isn't designed to cope with signifcant level of standees. Unlike the Uk which monitors standing levels, under 20 minutes being the target IE don't give a damn and just pack people in.

Matters should get a fair bit better this week onwards, there is now a new 6 coach 360 seater train leaving Connolly for Sligo at 16:00, 17:05 and 19:05 five days a week, thats about 450 extra seats. Previously the 16:00 was Fridays only and the 19:05 was a 4 coach train

Seat reservations are coming on the Sligo line in coming weeks, how this is implemented for annual ticket holders has never been explained

Given the 17:05 doesn't call in Maynooth I'm curious as to how you got a seat there

The good Mr Kenny used to be a Maynooth line commuter, he moved to Howth, wonder why?
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 14:56   #5
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Yes you're right it's the 18.05 I meant. Apologies - what a way to introduce myself to the forums by making a dogs dinner of my maiden post!

As for the seat / ticket comment - dont be so facetious. If that was a genuinely acceptable reason then why dont airlines work on the same principle then? I'm sure Michael O'Leary would love it but how would you fancy standing on a flight to Budapest for instance, oh but it'll be ok as we'll stop in paris and when a few people get off you might just get a seat.
Unread 22-01-2008, 14:59   #6
ThomasJ

Quote:
No passenger should have to stand on an intercity journey. Its 54 minutes to Mullingar on the 17:05, standing for that duration is not acceptable, especially on a train which isn't designed to cope with signifcant level of standees. Unlike the Uk which monitors standing levels, under 20 minutes being the target IE don't give a damn and just pack people in.
I can't see how without segregating passengers before they board or give automatic ticket reservations to those who travel furthest how its gonna work.

Having said that 18:05 longford is the commuter train that wasn't meant to be.....theres a chance people would be forced to stand? I have stood from Pearse to Maynooth for over 40 minutes. painful as it is it still happens. It could be worst you could be standing on a bus for over 2 hours as some people from Blanchardstown endured last christmas.

Intercity is different though.... passengers from Mullingar and beyond shouldn't have to stand

Last edited by ThomasJ : 22-01-2008 at 15:07.
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:07   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

18:05 is a commuter service, thus standing is to be expected. The train is designed to accommodate up to 1240 people. It is a dedicated commuter service for those travelling to Maynooth and beyond with the 18:08 service for all others.

This train should be 8 coaches long at this stage, if the train is not there is the problem the rolling stock shortage will resolve itself in the next 2 weeks

If you want a seat 17:05 or 19:05 are fairly reasonable. I'm more than happy to make a trip out on the 18:05 to evaluate the situation. Only advice is to arrive in good time and to board at the far end of the train not at the Dublin end
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:09   #8
ThomasJ

Quote:
This train should be 8 coaches long at this stage, if the train is not there is the problem the rolling stock shortage will resolve itself in the next 2 weeks
I thought the 18:08 would have got 8 coaches it thats worst than the 18:05
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:11   #9
Ballymore
Regular Poster

I was in the very front carriage last night and we were jammed in like sardines. I was at Connolly at 5.42
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:11   #10
ThomasJ

again does this not argue the point about an 18:05 Connolly Longford (non stop) and the 18:18 Connolly Longford (all stations) and that there should be better utalisation of these services?
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:12   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It is 8 but thats not saying it always is 8 coaches
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:30   #12
ThomasJ

I do agree with what you are saying. All I am saying is the 18:08 is a living hell getting home at night. That and the 18:05 should be 8 coach trains.

I am just saying the 18:18 Connolly Longford all stations which is an 8 coach train is barely used by anyone beyond Maynooth and given the 18:08 is what people Maynooth-Longford use should that not be focused on instead of the 18:18.
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:36   #13
Ballymore
Regular Poster

There has never been an evening on the 18.05 that there has been nobody standing leaving Connolly and as the first stop is Maynooth (too far to stand whether you going to Maynooth or Sligo in my opinion) this is far from ideal. I am incensed that IE's official view seems to be stand to Maynooth sure you'll get a seat eventually and you should be glad of it, we could make you stand all the way if we really wanted to - a la the 8.53 from Mullingar to Dublin used to be! It's attitudes like this that really make it so frustrating for daily commuters.

There is also the issue of 'keeping seats' - night after night you see people sitting on the outside seat holding a seat for their buddy who is 'in the loo' or 'is just out on the platform' and I have to say women are the worst offenders at this particular practice. Perhaps there could be some signs put up and or daily announcements by drivers to remind people it's unfair to keep seats while people stand. I challenged a woman once and she told me to show her the sign that said it was against the rules to hold a seat. As for tha amount of suitcases and bags that occupy seats sure if they are paying for the 2 seats (sarcasm intended) then IE must be raking in the cash altogether.
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:49   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you find a seat with a bag or the classic its for someone else, take it

1. No reservations apply
2. First come first served

You won't see a sign saying you can hold the seat

Don't even bother with the is this seat free, that puts you at an instant disadvantage. More a case is that coat yours? you get the yes response, then can you move it, they will retort its for my x then of course you just said its yours

Irish Rail management of course could actually leave there desks and actually start druming a bit of manners into some of the passengers who continually inconvience others
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:53   #15
Donal Quinn

i have to say i think that i agree with CSL though maybe not as bluntly (welcome to the board Ballymore!)

leaving a capital city in the middle of rush hour and expecting a seat is a bit much. i've been on trains out of paris at rush hour with standing room only. Especially if you can get a seat after 25 mins or so when it stops in maynooth.

i would only be expecting IE to start looking improving capacity when the standing loads start to get to crush levels, not when all the seats fill up.
Unread 22-01-2008, 15:56   #16
ThomasJ

But is it fair that someone for maynooth gets a direct train home in 26 minutes and get a seat whereas someone for longford has to stand for 26 minutes until that person has reached their destination and get off.
Unread 22-01-2008, 16:22   #17
CSL

Being on the train is far better than not having any train at all.

I stand by the comment though.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 17:17   #18
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Thank you for the welcome Donalq. Do you mind me asking you where you commute to and from and do you often have to stand?
Unread 22-01-2008, 17:28   #19
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
Being on the train is far better than not having any train at all.

I stand by the comment though.
With friends like this who needs enemies
Unread 22-01-2008, 18:13   #20
Donal Quinn

i get the luas and i always stand but its not comparable because it's only for a few stops.

my point is really about the level of service that IE can be realistically expected to provide at rush hour. while i think there should be pressure on them to increase capacity always i think we have to choose our battles. The priority should be those people who have to 'drop the shoulder' and cram together standing or even not get on the train at all. only after that should we worry about pressing IE into accomodating people who have to spend some of the journey standing but then can get a seat for the greater part of the journey. Standing is a feature of rush hour commuting everywhere