Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-12-2010, 14:50   #1
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Default Christmas 2010 on Irish Rail

Any horror stories yet? Worst I've seen so far is an increase in the 'day trippers' who get on the train once a year and think they have a God given right to :

- trot up and down the platform pushing people out of the way so they get to be at a door when train pulls in.
- being guaranteed that all 7 family members can sit in the same place despite boarding the train 5 minutes before departure time.
- leave their shopping on the seat beside them.
- leave their shopping on the seat beside and in front of them.
- leave their shopping in the aisle.
- complain bitterly about the train being packed (and this the only day of the year they use it) - not thinking about us poor commuters who experience it every day of our working life.
- park wherever they like - sure no matter if you block someone in wont I be back later on.......

Then you have the 'guard dogs' who leave something overhead or slightly behind them and they flinch if someone as much as glances at it or passes by their seat - convinced their precious cargo will be stolen.
Unread 17-12-2010, 16:07   #2
pixiebean22
Regular Poster

I think everyone is probably having real difficulties with people and their shopping on seats etc. considering they chop and change the length of the Waterford train so much without warning. It would be quite a busy commuter train as far as Carlow but it's not exactly empty the rest of the way either. Recently it has been reduced to a three car train more often over the weather and just the usual craic with IE. On midweek days in particular it seems to be very busy with shoppers (maybe because shops wouldn't be as hectic on those days) with bags everywhere and I think it's stupid that IE have to go to the bother of making announcements in relation to bags on seats when it doesn't take a genius to look around and see how packed the train is.

One of the things that annoys me about travelling on trains, in particular at this time of year when there are more irregular train users, is how little courtesy people are inclined to show towards other rail users especially first thing in the morning. I mean I'm not expecting people to sit there like church mice and not say a word but I've had bags, coats, phones, mp3 players etc dropped on top of me by people sitting in beside me/stowing their luggage and not even an apology, I'm not looking for an apology for waking me up (although that would also be nice) but for dropping crap on me it would be appreciated. Also, people who think the whole carriage are interested in their conversation. One example is this morning, there were 2 girls operating the trolley on the 6am train from Waterford to Hueston and they spent the journey from Waterford to Kilkenny sitting at the top of the train (not operating the trolley) talking very loudly and shrieking with laughter, they also left the trolley in the doorway for this length of the journey which made the carriage even colder. I mean I know it sounds like a pretty small thing to complain about but when your train has been late into Hueston and into Waterford everyday for about 2 weeks without an explanation the least you can expect is to travel in relative comfort without an assault on the ears. And yes, I do wear ear plugs on the train, that is how loud they were talking, I could still hear them.
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote