Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-08-2007, 14:34   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Stopping in the right place

I don't get the DART that often but did on 22 August (the sunny day).

I boarded at Sydney Parade southbound, with the 6-car DART pulling in as I descended the stairs. I was slightly surprised that I had to run (I resented this bit, I'm overweight and had just cycled 6km) down the platform as the train stopped as far down as possible.

Returning later, the DART pulled into Dalkey, stopped and then lurched forward a few meters.

On both occassions it appeared as if the approach was made a lot faster than what I'm used to. Is this common?
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2007, 14:43   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Drivers seem to be instructed to pull up to the platform end to avoid a situation where they stop on the 6 car marker with a 8 coach train, also the CCTV screens are at the platform ends.

The last 300m of approach from Sandymount to Syndey Parade never exceed 50km/h and once the platform is reached the train automatically slows itself to about 10km/h
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2007, 19:03   #3
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

this is an old problem, the cravens to arklow used stop well down the paltform in Pearse, even worse on Fridays when it would be a carriage short

In and about Paris, the RER stations have a sign to say if the train will be long or short, and the platforms are marked where the short trains will stop.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2007, 19:13   #4
James Shields

On many of the lines out of London, the platforms have signs saying things like "4/6 car stopping point" going up to "10/12 car stopping point". The platform announcements will say things like "This train is made up of 12 carriages. Passengers for A, B and C should board the front 4 carriages. Passengers for X, Y and Z should board the rear 8 carriages." Not that the last part has any relevance, but it would be good to be given advance warning if a short train is about to arrive.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2007, 09:42   #5
Oisin88

I remember seeing things like "Kurzzug" on timetables and platforms in Germany. I think it means "short train"
Unread 26-08-2007, 00:43   #6
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

you didn't see things like ICE stops right here... and the train actually stopping with the door in the 1m long section marked for the door.....

The fact this works as well as it does means germans will take the train.....
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-08-2007, 18:47   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Drivers seem to be instructed to pull up to the platform end to avoid a situation where they stop on the 6 car marker with a 8 coach train, also the CCTV screens are at the platform ends.

The last 300m of approach from Sandymount to Syndey Parade never exceed 50km/h and once the platform is reached the train automatically slows itself to about 10km/h
That seems to make sense, although it seemed like the train was moving at full speed when the driver passed me in Sydney Parade.

With this type of operation, the stairs is pointing in the wrong direction. Passengers should also be encouraged to move down the platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark
The platform announcements will say things like "This train is made up of 12 carriages. Passengers for A, B and C should board the front 4 carriages. Passengers for X, Y and Z should board the rear 8 carriages."
Is this to allow you get off at the crossing point / exit? Surely the most efficient use is to have people distributed through the train, using all train doors and tehn trickleing to the exit?
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 21:57   #8
packetswitch

I presume it's a train that splits at an intermediate station and goes off in two different directions. Great fun, especially if you forget.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 14:19   #9
ccos

On the Singapore metro the platform is walled off from the track, the doors on the wall only open when the doors for the train are lined up and open.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 14:56   #10
undo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
On the Singapore metro the platform is walled off from the track, the doors on the wall only open when the doors for the train are lined up and open.
Paris metro line 14 has the same. It's driverless and the glass walls ensure that passengers are safely separated from the track. Of course, for this to work, the train must always stop in the precisely correct spot.
undo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:55   #11
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetswitch View Post
I presume it's a train that splits at an intermediate station and goes off in two different directions. Great fun, especially if you forget.
Yes, it allows a full 12 car train to serve the busy stations near London, but to serve two destinations out in the far-flung countryside where demand is lower.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-09-2007, 15:48   #12
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

To-day I was in a 6-carriage DART from Connolly to Sydney Parade (4 Japanese + 2 LHB vehicles). It was driven quite energetically and came to a fairly quick stop just before entering Pearse Station. The same thing happened before Grand Canal Dock and before Sydney Parade. There are no signals at the places where the leading carriage stopped. What was up? Eccentric driver? Train protection system reacting to "energetic" driving? Iv'e heard of overshooting a stop, but this was repeated undershooting by about 200 metres.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote