Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-06-2012, 10:24   #1
Traincustomer

Default More coach services between Wexford and Dublin:

Two extra round trips being provided by Wexford Bus for the summer months in their new timetable commencing next Monday.

Also a new stop at Cherrywood / Wyattville Rd allowing interchange with LUAS Green line.

Home page plus: http://wexfordbus.com/timetables/wexford-dublin-city/

The corridor seems saturated with coaches - meanwhile rail remains in the low frequency thus (relatively) low usage vicious circle...
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:29   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Most of the buses are carrying air around. Bus Eireann went hourly to try to beat Wexford bus

Incidentally Wexford Bus now take leap cards

Its crazy that Dublin Wexford actually has a better bus service that either Dublin Belfast or Dublin Cork

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 06-06-2012 at 10:31.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:30   #3
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

But isn't that because the bus service to Cork can't compete with the train for time, frequency or quality, while the service to Belfast makes it difficult for the bus to compete.

On the other hand, the service to Wexford is slow, infrequent and in glorified commuter rail stock with no trolley service, never mind dining car. The bus beats it on time and doesn't exactly lose out on quality.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:01   #4
Traincustomer

In the private sector Wexford Bus seem to be one of just a handful of operators who piloted the Leapcard.
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:02   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a trolley service.

Bus Eireann normal time Rosslare - Dublin is 3-3:40, train is 2:45-3:00
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:59   #6
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Wexford bus takes around 2:20. It's only 130km from Dublin to Wexford. I wouldn't go on anything that Bus Eireann do. Last time I used them on the Dublin-Wexford route, they made me change in Enniscorthy.

I've used that rail service three times in the last year and not once has there been a trolley. That's been the 16:36 once and the 17:36 twice. All were operated by commuter railcars, not 22Ks.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 13:04   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Commuter services don't have trolleys

16:36 and 17:36 are to move to ICR operation, I've had an ICR on the 17:36
Unread 06-06-2012, 13:47   #8
Traincustomer

Good to hear that ICRs are to be deployed on those journeys.

Rosslare train timings have scope to be reduced by a few minutes.
Unread 06-06-2012, 13:58   #9
DangerM
Regular Poster

Wexford Bus are great, if I lived any further south I would definitely switch to them. They are considerably faster than the train, plus free wi-fi and late services.
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 17:10   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
But isn't that because the bus service to Cork can't compete with the train for time, frequency or quality, while the service to Belfast makes it difficult for the bus to compete.
I took Aircoach Dublin-Cork at 07:00 on Thursday morning. Departed Westmoreland Street at 0702, arrived St. Patrick's Quay, Cork at about 10:12. Might have been quicker if driver knew the route - several bad lane choices - he nearly went via Ballyfermot and did go via the Fonthill exit on the N4 only to double back - added about 3.1km.

"5 minute" break at Urlingford turned into 7 minutes as the driver was late back with his coffee. Leather seats OK, but the headrest was good.

€15 single on the day. Only 4 passengers.

Overall, cheaper (on the day), more flexible, but slower and fewer facilities than the train. Faster than Bus Éireann.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 08-06-2012 at 17:13.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 17:35   #11
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Commuter services don't have trolleys

16:36 and 17:36 are to move to ICR operation, I've had an ICR on the 17:36
Good news but the 13:36 to Rosslare is often a commuter train still.
It's 2012, surely there must be enough 22ks for all rosslare services now ???
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:54   #12
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

all the 22k's that we are getting are here apparently, certainly on the connolly side, so i would expect the 29's to be doing their final departure soon enough. that said it took ages for Sligo to be rid of them.
Unread 03-07-2012, 16:19   #13
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
all the 22k's that we are getting are here apparently, certainly on the connolly side, so i would expect the 29's to be doing their final departure soon enough. that said it took ages for Sligo to be rid of them.
Good. Hopefully they'll be gone real soon. We need consistency in 22k operation on the Wexford line.

Also, if/when the 16:36 and 17:36 are 22ks Irish Rail need to seriously consider 6 coach operation. The problems with some platform lenghts need to be overcome. Fast!
Unread 03-07-2012, 19:03   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As a regular on the 17:36 capacity isn't a major issue, an ICR has slightly more seats than a 29k and much better luggage space. You might have to stand to Dun Laoghaire if you board at Pearse but from there on shouldn't be a problem
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:47   #15
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
As a regular on the 17:36 capacity isn't a major issue, an ICR has slightly more seats than a 29k and much better luggage space. You might have to stand to Dun Laoghaire if you board at Pearse but from there on shouldn't be a problem
Yes sadly usage of the Rosslare line services has plummetted in recent years to the extent that loadings rarely signifigantly challenge a 3-piece ICR set.

Still I am sure Irish Rail are working on plans to increase frequency and reduce journey times !
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:52   #16
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I remember the days of 4 coach cravens on the 17:30 as it was and that didn't look unreasonable for the demand
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:36   #17
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
I remember the days of 4 coach cravens on the 17:30 as it was and that didn't look unreasonable for the demand
If I recall, this service was normally formed of six cravens but shrunk to four on a Friday. In the past this service would have standing passengers leaving Greystones. From what I can see the aggregate usage south of Greystones on the current three evening services would barely fill six cravens.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:23   #18
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
If I recall, this service was normally formed of six cravens but shrunk to four on a Friday. In the past this service would have standing passengers leaving Greystones. From what I can see the aggregate usage south of Greystones on the current three evening services would barely fill six cravens.
The deployment of unsuitable commuter stock from summer 2004 onwards going all the way to Rosslare wouldn't have helped numbers. I bet Irish Rail thought this would have just because they were "newer trains". If anything, passenger numbers have probably dwindled since.
Unread 04-07-2012, 15:49   #19
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I remember when they retired the Mark 2s from the Sligo line and Irish Rail were promoting the 29ks as a benefit to passengers. Of course they are anything but if you have to spend more than 45 minutes on one.

They are noisy, the seats are narrow and cramped, they have no space to work and are draughty when the doors are left open on the longer stops required for crossings. They are commuter trains and work much better on short journeys. Irish Rail should not be using them for intercity runs and they never should have. The Mark 2s were far superior as are the 22ks.

What is it with this country and our insistence that we can come up with "better" ways of doing things that break established international norms? This is the same as our motorways which were built with no crash barriers or service areas thus ignoring 50 years of learned experience.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 18:31   #20
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
I remember when they retired the Mark 2s from the Sligo line and Irish Rail were promoting the 29ks as a benefit to passengers.
Wasn't his mostly the local politicians who didn't want "old" trains?