Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-11-2009, 16:20   #161
ThomasJ

Looks like based on the online timetable (also heard rumours on it) and probably due to the clockface timetable platforms 6 and 7 at connolly come back into play for the last evening services out of connolly.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 17:42   #162
DangerM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
For some reason CIE think that all people on the gorey line want is 22ks. For people who work later than 18:30 this is irrelavant. There are a few people on the line I know who dont care! They prefer frequency and timing over train types! Stick a 29k on the line at 21:00hrs.
I couldn't care less on the train type anyway or taking any kind of connector DART if it commenced at Greystones only. If I have to stay in Dublin later than 18:30 (Yes IE, shocker that this happens I know!) I have to get a Bus Eireann bus to Wicklow town and get picked up from there. All at the cost of another ticket and reliant on someone being around to pick me up!
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 18:14   #163
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerM View Post
I couldn't care less on the train type anyway or taking any kind of connector DART if it commenced at Greystones only. If I have to stay in Dublin later than 18:30 (Yes IE, shocker that this happens I know!) I have to get a Bus Eireann bus to Wicklow town and get picked up from there. All at the cost of another ticket and reliant on someone being around to pick me up!
I remember talking to a manager at IE a year or two ago and when he had mention that off-peak services were less busy. When I mentioned that the likes of the 19:00, 19:30 20:00 and 21:00 even the 21:55 to Maynooth were doing well he pointed out to me that they were peak hour services! He had pointed out that the lifestyle and work patterns of passengers had changed and they had to change with it. These services are quiet often all seats taken with people standing. You'll notice none of them have been chopped.

I took the 23:10 pearse maynooth 3 times last week and while not packed to the rafters there were very few seats left!

You would have thought that this sort of demand on the Maynooth and Drogheda lines would have incentivised them to try the gorey and mullingar lines.I dont know why management are afraid of taking risks on the gorey and Mullingar lines. They should at least try it out leading up to christmas. they would be suprised.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 09-11-2009 at 18:29.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 11:13   #164
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilocharlie View Post
Presumable that's after the KRP goes live next August?
It may have happened already. Could be just an accident but the 1055 Newbridge - Heuston is a 22k 6-car set this morning.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 18:35   #165
Kilocharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
It may have happened already. Could be just an accident but the 1055 Newbridge - Heuston is a 22k 6-car set this morning.
More likely a 29K unit failed - it also did the 0835 from Kildare. The new timetable has Platform 1 in Heuston for Newbridge/Kildare services and it can only handle a 3 car ICR.
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 18:56   #166
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Platforms are a movable feast.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2009, 16:51   #167
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilocharlie View Post
More likely a 29K unit failed - it also did the 0835 from Kildare. The new timetable has Platform 1 in Heuston for Newbridge/Kildare services and it can only handle a 3 car ICR.
Today's Kildare commuter services were operated by a 3 car and a 6 car 22k set.
Unread 17-11-2009, 17:20   #168
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

DART timetable is up now. http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/IE%20-%202009-10%20DART%20and%20Com.pdf
Unread 25-11-2009, 14:04   #169
shweeney
Regular Poster

Exclamation new timetable + no publicity = confused public on Monday

IE don't seem to be publicising this new timetable very well - theres a tiny notice on the website, but no posters in the stations (that I've seen).

Some of the changes are quite radical and a lot of people are going to be affected on Monday - they should be running radio ads, posters on trains, the whole shebang...
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-11-2009, 14:30   #170
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There are posters on board the trains.

For such a major change in Dublin the advertising effort is very poor
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-11-2009, 15:18   #171
tigger1962

they handed out new timetables in Dundalk this morning.. many more unhappy commuters after they started reading them
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2009, 19:24   #172
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger1962 View Post
they handed out new timetables in Dundalk this morning.. many more unhappy commuters after they started reading them
I see that this timetable is valid until further notice. Does this mean that if more trains are needed, the timetable will evolve?

By this I mean, if stations get over crowded will services be added to reflect the demand?
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2009, 20:37   #173
Artur

I had a strange situation with the new timetables yesterday. Went to Tara St. station to ask for them and I was told that they are not printed any more as part of 'cutbacks' and I should go to the IR website and - if I wanted - print them from there. I thought it was a joke at first but the man was dead serious.

This wouldn't be such a bad idea in the end but you can't print them in the same format yourself - it's a pdf with one 'strip' on each page and the original printout has three (the page is bigger than A4 as well).

Couldn't really believe it so I went to Connolly and - surprise, surprise - got one easily. This time I was told that they're being dispatched at the moment and should be there at every station once they get theirs.

So the first information was completely wrong and potentially damaging to IR reputation: the posters on stations and in trains say that the new timetable 'is available from your local station' so if you go there and learn that this is not true, understandably you are likely to call that crowd 'a bunch of dirty liars' straight away.

Does it mean you can get something from IR only if you're really stubborn and don't believe what their employees tell you? Is this somewhere in their customer charter, I wonder?
Artur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2009, 21:29   #174
Ronald Binge

This appears to be standard procedure with a lot of IR staff - I've been buying the "book" in its various incarnations since 1979 and in the vast majority of cases ticket office staff have attempted to put me off buying it in some way or another.
Ronald Binge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-11-2009, 09:39   #175
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb180285 View Post
I see that this timetable is valid until further notice. Does this mean that if more trains are needed, the timetable will evolve?

By this I mean, if stations get over crowded will services be added to reflect the demand?
No, it just means that they do not have a definite future planned date for a new timetable to come out.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-11-2009, 17:35   #176
plant43

Wonder will the flooding postpone the introduction of the split Galway-Westport train.
Unread 28-11-2009, 19:53   #177
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The spilt service will operate but won't split at Athlone

I am still without a timetable Connolly had them but refused to sell me a copy
Unread 28-11-2009, 20:46   #178
Traincustomer

Default Book or no book?

I'm confused, today after arriving into Heuston (by train) I asked at Customer Services for a timetable book. I was told there wasn't one and was asked what lines I wanted times for. I politely responded for all routes (as I normally buy the timetable book each year). I was told that they didn't have timetables for all routes, and was given a small selection of route timetables.

What a shambles.

In the UK books and leaflets are readily available at stations well in advance of timetable changes (at least that's been my experience to date). The web is fine but doesn't suit all users at all times.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-11-2009, 21:30   #179
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The national timetable in the UK is done by three private companies currently

There is a book, at least one poster on this forum has obtained a copy. I've seen it but was refused when I wanted to buy it. Staff have their own special timetable book so why on earth are they refusing to sell the public edition

Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock and Tara Street had nothing at all in the way of timetables
Unread 29-11-2009, 00:51   #180
wobbles
Regular Poster

An new all route timetable has been printed but from what I am told it is only for staff use and will not be sold to the general public this year.
wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote