Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Drogheda-Balbriggan-Skerries-Donabate Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-04-2007, 20:42   #21
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default What is really wrong with that train?

I rang the Northern Suburban line office again (Does it surprise you that I had to get the no. off the platform 11 website, as the IE one is wrong).
They claim this by now infamous service, was short yesterday due to door failures. They advised there was definetly no issue that would effect it for the entire week.
There was complete surprise when I advised there were no announcements about the delays following on from this service. 'No, that could not be correct.'
So I asked the gentleman had he ever actually travelled on the Northern suburban line. I was greeted with silence...I advised him to talk to anyone who uses that line to find out exactly how bad the lack of announcements were. He also assured me the PA systems were checked on a regular basis.
To be fair, he constantly apologised.
However, I just want the truth and an improvement in passenger information...
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 22:31   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well you will find it interesting that IE claim they had no service effecting door fault on the 2600 units from service entry in 1994 and 2000. Sounds impossible

Its just a door it should be simple

Will be in Donabate early tomorrow, with camera, knowing IE it will be fixed when I get there
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 08:01   #23
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Will be in Donabate early tomorrow, with camera, knowing IE it will be fixed when I get there
Guess what, there where 8 coaches this morning and it was quite comfortable on board and reasonably on time

PA was broken though in 2603, it was working but the volume was very low
Unread 05-04-2007, 17:57   #24
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

They must fear you or something. But anyway it was service as usual, except for a loud added sound from the engine that i couldnt place. It sounded like a gear shaft or something grinding with a screech constantly, but i could have been hearing things. I know i wasnt hearing anything from my discman, stupid things broken
Unread 11-04-2007, 17:11   #25
ThomasJ

I only got a glimpse was passing tara street bridge at six o clock and it looks like its a six car 2600 tonight
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:33   #26
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Yip. A six-car again this morning. Again, it was very busy and it is as well that the schools are off.

Could this be done on purpose in relation to reduced demand during the school holidays, although the resulting situation is still drastically overcrowded.

If the schools were on and six-cars were in operation, the system would not be able to cope.

How many passengers does a two-car set hold?
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:40   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Timetable says 8 coaches Monday Friday all year. 2 coaches, 2600 type full load is about 300

I do know the train set involved failed at Portmarnock on Monday afternoon. I checked back through the roster and surprise surprise its the same train.

We can now officially state that the train which starts the day as the 7:18 to Bray and finises as the 21:15 to Drogheda is the least reliable train anywhere on the network its about 25 times more likely to suffer a delay than any other in Dublin
Unread 13-04-2007, 08:26   #28
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Six carriages again this morning.

No announcements. I think that the passengers in Donabate for this train now know to move up the platform.
Unread 13-04-2007, 18:55   #29
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Bad

I was on the 5th carriage along the way. Commuters pushing on at all stations. Around Howth Junction a woman collapsed about 2 passengers standing away from me. When she was brought to a seat close to where I was standing, she was really shaking. I've seen a fair few people collapse around this point in the morning journeys over the years, but she looked genuinely bad. She had recovered somewhat while we queued outside Connolly. Everyone commenting about the shorter carriages this week, and how bad it was.
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-04-2007, 12:27   #30
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Latest info in is that 2 of the coaches which should be in 7:18 Drogheda train are actually coupled to a Rosslare train
Unread 17-04-2007, 20:47   #31
hhf8
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Timetable says 8 coaches Monday Friday all year. 2 coaches, 2600 type full load is about 300

I do know the train set involved failed at Portmarnock on Monday afternoon. I checked back through the roster and surprise surprise its the same train.

We can now officially state that the train which starts the day as the 7:18 to Bray and finises as the 21:15 to Drogheda is the least reliable train anywhere on the network its about 25 times more likely to suffer a delay than any other in Dublin
got the 21.15 last night,seems to have a real problem gettin away from stations,stayed for at least 5 mins too long in most stops,and then stopped for at 10-15 mins at donabate,Driver got out,walked past my carriage. Then came back, Revved the engine until the whole train vibrated and then went off. Carried on journey,with announcements of next stop, No reasons or apoligies given for delays.
Unread 17-04-2007, 22:35   #32
StephenM
Regular Poster

The 2600's that do the Ballina run are generally OK. One cut out 3 times on the Manulla - Ballina leg a few weeks ago, those things can glide quite well.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-04-2007, 22:52   #33
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Ballina set got home to Drogheda this morning so Drogheda has 2 more to play with so the 7:18 might be full length for the next 2 weeks

Point to note is out in Ballina it has a easy life, quite different from the 30 mile trip to Drogheda with multiple stop against a stiff schedule
Unread 18-04-2007, 08:49   #34
Terrontress
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhf8 View Post
got the 21.15 last night,seems to have a real problem gettin away from stations,stayed for at least 5 mins too long in most stops,and then stopped for at 10-15 mins at donabate,Driver got out,walked past my carriage. Then came back, Revved the engine until the whole train vibrated and then went off. Carried on journey,with announcements of next stop, No reasons or apoligies given for delays.
Are there some form of transmission issues on these sets?

It seems that the driver revs the train up for several seconds as if he is waiting for a gear to catch. Then he lets it idle again and then takes off.

Also, have you noticed on the 9.15 ex Pearse the amount of rubbish lying around. The morning's newspapers, coffee cups, sandwich wrappers etc? Is it a coincidence that I know of no bins on 2600s?
Unread 18-04-2007, 09:58   #35
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Biggest cause of problems is the compressor, it seems not all coaches have been modified, so if air pressure gets low (i.e brakes won't release) select neutral and rev the engine. Its in the manual.

Clearly a serious overhaul is required, IE of course deny there are problems. Bad news is we are due a breakdown any day now
Unread 18-04-2007, 10:07   #36
hhf8
Regular Poster

they are quite old,will they be needing a refurb?
Unread 30-04-2007, 17:52   #37
ThomasJ

Default Close call for 18.17 drogheda folks tonight

The train that originally arrived for tonights 18.17 service was a 4-car 29k set but because the driver was unable to open the doors were unable to open the train was forced to retreat back to pearse table. The 8-car 2600 set arriving few minutes later. Resulting in leaving about ten minutes late
Unread 30-04-2007, 21:15   #38
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

The fact the train 29112 stopped past the end of the platfrom may have contributed to the doors not opening but as the fine staff at Irish rail didn't bother to tell anyone anything, we'll never know for sure.

And it's the 18:15 service.
Was still ten minutes late getting into Rush and Lusk.
No apology for the delay given by the driver or any Irish Rail staff.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-04-2007, 21:26   #39
ThomasJ

Sorry i am a bit patchy when it comes to times. Any idea was there something up with the usual set it was sitting on platform two when the four car set arrived on the platform,
Unread 01-05-2007, 07:44   #40
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Dunno,
about three or four darts came through on P2 while the 29k was at (or past) P1
in about 10 minutes seemed a lot.

there was a load of air compression noise clicking while the 29k was at p1. the signal to go back north went green for a time too.

The 2600 usually goes for the 18:15 maybe that was late and held up everything.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote