Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:45   #1
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Default 145 Bus Service from Heuston Station

Will someone please explain why there is lack of this service of a wet morning ie today and yesterday, and why on a a morning when 'the sun is sptitting the stones' there is an over supply of these buses. Is it Dublin Bus policy to put obstacles in commuters way to get to work.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:00   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If its wet inbound buses will normally take longer to get to Heuston so you get a problem
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:29   #3
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
If its wet inbound buses will normally take longer to get to Heuston so you get a problem
I don't think that, that is the case as there were a few buses backed up by the side of the station. Dublin Bus quite clearly are not providing a proper service.
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:33   #4
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I was waiting for the 145 towards Heuston in Donnybrook this morning (around 8:45).
I think it took around 20 minutes for one to turn up.

The most irritating part was the number of out of service buses that came past. I can understand them running out of service outbound, so they can get to the start of the route to provide a more frequent inbound service. What I can't understand is why there would be an empty bus travelling towards central Dublin.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 13:11   #5
karlr42

They might have to travel through the city centre to get to an "outbound" terminus.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 14:33   #6
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlr42 View Post
They might have to travel through the city centre to get to an "outbound" terminus.
The whole service is a disaster, many mornings I've seen the 145 bus pull out from Heuston with 5 or 6 passengers on it while a train with the best part of 500 passengers arrives into the station, there will be a 20min wait then for the next bus. I've heard people complain about the service from 5.30pm who are trying to get to Heuston to catch a train home in the evening. Apparently you could be waiting up to 20mins as well, while buses are amalgamated at various stops along the route. These buses frequently disappear from the 'realtime boards'.
Unread 08-06-2012, 17:32   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Why doesn't the dispatcher at Heuston hold the buses until there's a decent number of people on them?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 18:25   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 145 is meant to run a fixed high frequency at peak times so there should never be a need to hold a bus.

If you hold a bus it opens up a gap for everyone else, and of course drives those already on the bus mad.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 13:01   #9
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The 145 is meant to run a fixed high frequency at peak times so there should never be a need to hold a bus.

If you hold a bus it opens up a gap for everyone else, and of course drives those already on the bus mad.
One wonders who there are providing the service for, is it for rail passengers or who ?.
Unread 15-06-2012, 10:53   #10
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
Why doesn't the dispatcher at Heuston hold the buses until there's a decent number of people on them?
best of luck trying to get a straight answr from beardy

Buses are meant to go every 10 min as per time table but he makes it up as he goes along and sends them when he feels like it full or empty.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-06-2012, 10:59   #11
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

His worst habit is randomly deciding that "This bus only goes as far as Leeson St" or "This bus only goes as far as Belfield".

As far as I can see, there are no buses on the timetable that only go that far.

The Belfield one doesn't really affect me, but I do occasionally use it to get to Donnybrook, so find the Leeson St one annoying. At least I never have reason to travel south of Belfield.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-01-2013, 12:11   #12
hoopsheff
Regular Poster

You can always go around to St Johns Road at the side of Heuston. MAny more buses go this way. At rush hour you can get an Xpresso that goes as far as Belfield.
hoopsheff is offline   Reply With Quote