Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-09-2016, 01:51   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Iarnród Éireann warns ‘dumb truckers’ over bridge strikes

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/t...ikes-1.2778983

Of course, it's a two-sided thing - they need to provide accurate information to road users.

In the attached, I presume they mean the North Star Hotel, which is actually on the other side of Talbot Street. It gives no height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armstrongs arches-North Strand Hotel. (Pearse to Connolly).png
Views:	390
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1627  
Unread 05-09-2016, 07:40   #2
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I don't think it's two-sided at all. Lorry drivers should know the height of their vehicle and load. Every bridge has a height sign and you should be alert to these if driving a high vehicle.

It would help somewhat if truck drivers didn't spend so much time on the phone and paid attention to the road. I walk on regional roads quite regularly where you can see what oncoming truck drivers are doing and it wouldn't be much of an exaggeration to say that about 20% of lorry drives are using hand-held phones. I have no idea what they are talking about all the time

Maybe that incident near Dover a couple of weeks ago might focus some minds. I believe this was the arm of a digger hitting a bridge - very similar to the accident near Gorey in 1975 that killed 5 people.

Maybe Irish Rail could look at contacting somebody to write a mobile phone app that would alert drivers when they were within 100m of a low bridge. That might help somewhat. I know, no money but it's got to be cheaper than getting bridges inspected.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2016, 23:32   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
Maybe that incident near Dover a couple of weeks ago might focus some minds. I believe this was the arm of a digger hitting a bridge
I think that was a case of too many things out of normal operation resulting in the inevitable incident. The bridge had a distinct slope, there was construction work on the bridge, one of the trucks was driving on the hard shoulder and one of the trucks drove over an object on the road surface.

Unfortunately, truck driving is a relatively low skill job with poor pay. One of the greatest problems in the industry is there is poor supervision. Better supervision, including better route planning would be facilitated by a comprehensive database of low max height overbridges and low max weight underbridges.
Unread 06-09-2016, 10:14   #4
ThomasJ

I heard yesterday that the national truckers association are considering legal action over the campaign.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/i...on-753097.html
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2016, 20:48   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Truckers are always the cry babies, everyone is out to get them.

If you drive your truck under a low bridge, then you have broken the law.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2016, 07:00   #6
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I don't know why we make things so complicated in this country. If you can't keep your truck from hitting railway bridges, you shouldn't be driving it. It is as simple as that. In this as with so many other things in Ireland, people need to take personal responsibility for their actions and stop wasting everyones time finding somebody else to blame.

If hitting a railway bridge was a banning (or maybe a 10 point) offence, drivers would probably stop hitting them. It is a serious issue - there is potential for a major rail disaster. Just because it hasn't happened recently doesn't mean it can happen.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2016, 13:41   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
If hitting a railway bridge was a banning (or maybe a 10 point) offence, drivers would probably stop hitting them. It is a serious issue - there is potential for a major rail disaster. Just because it hasn't happened recently doesn't mean it can happen.
People break the law for a variety of reasons - personal gain, not caring, lack of skill, lack of attention, intoxication, etc.

A purely enforcement approach won't prevent all incidents - you also need education and engineering responses.