Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-11-2009, 16:30   #1
aldo69
New to the board

Default Rush-hours darts halved from next Monday!!!

Have just checked the Iarnrod Eireann timetables for Monday next, with new times. Looking at rush hour times i.e. from 8 to 9am and from 5 to 6pm, from Bray to Pearse and back again, the number of darts appears to have pretty much halved!

Anyone else spotted similar changes on their route? Anyone else annoyed?

:mad
aldo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-11-2009, 11:24   #2
Fab4
New to the board

Coming from Shankill to city centre there was 3 trains within 10 mins during peak- 8.15, 8.20 & 8.25 . This morning with the new timetables there was a train at 8.15 (which was 5 mins late of course) and then the next one at 8.30. Needless to say as the 8.15 came from Greystones it was already overcrowded and not a chance of a seat.

It should not but still does amaze me that CIE seem to put zero thought into these new timetables. They are claiming that trains will run every 15 mins all day and they will operate even more trains during peak hours but I cannot see any increase in services beyond every 15 mins on their online timetables.

This is just another cut back in services as far as I can see. A total joke.
Fab4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-11-2009, 15:40   #3
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Yep, it's a complete farce. Usual spin to make things look positive, while they actually scale back services.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-11-2009, 19:50   #4
aldo69
New to the board

Yup, services running all over the shop all day. Got a train just after 3, seems they skipped a few darts and the train was running 15 mins late. Just came from the station now, coming out of town the Rosslare Europort was running 15 minutes late.

Also got serious grief from the 'worker' on the platform earlier when I asked why nothing appeared to be running according to any schedule, i.e. DartTxt, the online timetable, the iPhone app, the display board, the printed board etc., all over the show.

His answer: "No point getting annoyed about it, it'll get here when it gets here."

Maybe they should use this as their tagline?
aldo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 00:11   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Could you be more specific as to which station and the time, I've got the delay stats for Monday and can't match this up

Monday was actually a good day compared to the recent averages I have, not a great day but significantly better

The peak hour cut back at worst is southbound 5-7pm @ 33% this is denied by Irish Rail of course but facts mean nothing to them.

The daily number of DART services are down by about 3%
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 00:40   #6
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Could you be more specific as to which station and the time, I've got the delay stats for Monday and can't match this up
the greystones-bound Darts @ 1700 and 1730 (ex-Pearse) were at least 20 mins late - one consequence of this was that anyone travelling from Lansdowne looking to connect onto the 1735 Wexford commuter would have missed that train entirely as it ran ahead of the connecting Dart (ie people who previously would have caught the train from Lansdowne but now have to Dart to Dun Laoghaire first as the commuter no longer stops at LR).

It did seem fairly chaotic to me (southbound at least).
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 09:53   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 17:00 was 19 minutes late, 17:30 was 16 minutes late as usual no reason given. Both originated in Malahide

In fact trains from Howth were on time, trains from Malahide late
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:06   #8
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I am getting reports of many morning delays from Malahide, including commuter trains being stuck behind DARTs.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 16:58   #9
shweeney
Regular Poster

just having a look at the new timetable in a bit of detail

from 1600-1659 there are 8 trains southbound from Pearse - 2 Bray, 2 Greystones, 1 Wexford and 3 (!) Dun Laoghaire

from 1700-1759 there are only 5 southbound trains and the same from 1800-1859 - the difference being that there are no Dun Laoghaire terminating Darts after 1700.

So why do they run 3 extra Darts before the rush hour really starts, and then no extra during the actual rush hour? This is not a hypothetical question, I'd really like to know if there's some reasoning behind it (even if its just driver shift-patterns etc).
Unread 03-12-2009, 17:08   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Dun Laoghaire trains return in service northbound at the evening peak
Unread 04-12-2009, 11:55   #11
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The Dun Laoghaire trains return in service northbound at the evening peak
true, but there are no equivalent extra services southbound.
Unread 04-12-2009, 12:49   #12
zag
Regular Poster

I think the point here is that they are rush hour *northbound* services. Getting to Dun Laoghaire is only positioning so that they will be in the city centre heading north at the correct time during rush hour.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 20:35   #13
undo

Why is it that when they finally go for clockface (good), IE have to make it so incredibly inflexible (bad)? S-Bahn lines in Germany (pretty much the equivalent of the DART here) are clockface with different patterns peak and off-peak. Why can the DART not be clockface every 30 minutes at night, clockface every 15 or 20 during the day and clockface every 10 minutes during rush hour? Is that so difficult?
undo is offline   Reply With Quote