Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-12-2009, 13:01   #1
Yoko
New to the board

Default Shankill Dart Station

Is a shambles. Both ticketing machines removed and only one functioning ticket validator.
Yoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 13:24   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There has been a spate of robberies countrywide targeting the ticket machines.

Damaged machines are removed and replaced, spares are coming up short due to the number of recent attacks

Carlow, Little Island in Cork among others have been hit recently

In the absence of a staffed booking office you may travel without a ticket legally provided you pay at the first opportunity.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 15:12   #3
finnyus

Was at Little Island heading for Midleton on Sunday afternoon last, and the ticket machine's front panel looked like it was torn off. It crossed my mind that it might have been a robbery, but I was unsure. An IE guy who was at Little Island boarded the 14:00 Cork - Midleton service. He had a hi-vis vest with "Revenue Protection Unit" written on it. First time I had seen any ticket inspector on the Midleton services.

I was making a return trip, so I was ok. But a [possibly 16/17 year old] girl got on at Glounthaune (booking office open) heading for Carrigtwohill got slapped with a fine - no excuse for not purchasing a ticket.

At Midleton, while waiting for my spin, a group of youths ran passed me trying to make the train. One shouted "What we do for tickets?"... "its ok, no one ever checks for them...". So I wonder if they were caught or not. Travelling between Midleton and Carrigtwohill is notorious for fare evasion, even if the line is only open a few months.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 00:24   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Can't find any reports of a break in at Shankill.

There is an outside chance that the machines were removed to be replaced. A program of upgrades is ongoing, chip and pin and smartcard functionality. Some of the older machines are also being replaced as they have outdated computer systems. Normally this is done with the machine in place
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2009, 18:06   #5
Yoko
New to the board

One went and was shortly followed by the second. Meanwhile there's a man emplyed to stand by the gate checking tickets despite there (now) being two functioning ticket validating machines.
Yoko is offline   Reply With Quote