Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-09-2016, 11:08   #1
ThomasJ

Default Capacity on the maynooth line

On Thursday morning, in reply via Twitter to Simeone who couldnt board the first inbound train from maynooth, irish rail had stated that all available capacity is out.

Thursday and yesterday on my way the work, I spotted intercity railcar operating maynooth line services. There were complaints by people online who couldnt board docklands services that were operated by 22ks.

It has been quite a while since I have used the maynooth line but one thing that has stood out for me is the increase in intercity railcars on the maynooth line since I've used it.

Why is this happening ? Are there issues with 29ks? It's such a drop in capacity, to be running intercity railcars on busy commuter lines during the dublin bus strike is madness!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 10-09-2016 at 11:27.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2016, 12:42   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Since the 2800 units left Dublin quite a lot of 22k's have appeared on Maynooth and some Northern line peak hours
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2016, 13:02   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Meanwhile they operate the Longford commuter services (over 2 hours end-to-end) with 29Ks which makes them all but pointless for anybody trying to get a bit of work done on their commute. This also takes 12 29k units out circulation for proper commuter work.

Irish Rail basically treat these services as positioning movements for Maynooth. With a minor bit of intelligence in terms of slotting them in front of M3 parkway trains, they could replace the 12 cars used for these runs with either 6 or 8 ICR cars, make them express from Clonsilla and everyone would be happier. They could even entirely eliminate the 1715 as a Longford train (make in run to Maynooth) and run the 1805 as a 7 car ICR which would split for the two morning services and nobody would miss it.

Irish Rail could actually reduce Longford commuter capacity and provide a better service. However, the need to use ICRs for local services is probably as a result of the idiotic locations where these trains are serviced.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2016, 15:29   #4
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Meanwhile they operate the Longford commuter services (over 2 hours end-to-end) with 29Ks which makes them all but pointless for anybody trying to get a bit of work done on their commute. This also takes 12 29k units out circulation for proper commuter work.

Irish Rail basically treat these services as positioning movements for Maynooth. With a minor bit of intelligence in terms of slotting them in front of M3 parkway trains, they could replace the 12 cars used for these runs with either 6 or 8 ICR cars, make them express from Clonsilla and everyone would be happier. They could even entirely eliminate the 1715 as a Longford train (make in run to Maynooth) and run the 1805 as a 7 car ICR which would split for the two morning services and nobody would miss it.

Irish Rail could actually reduce Longford commuter capacity and provide a better service. However, the need to use ICRs for local services is probably as a result of the idiotic locations where these trains are serviced.
While I agree about the need to cancel the 17.15 and the splitting of the 18.05 for the mornings would be good. IE will likely view it as:
1 - The 17.15 will need to operate to Maynooth anyway and requires a returning driver as the Longford one will need to travel home on board the 18.05 from Maynooth.

2 - The two morning services operate at such a peak time through Maynooth line they would need to schedule another services to pick up the slack from it. I don't think drivers are in a position to work more services at the minute.

3 - The stock would be freed up however from a scheduling point of view all those sets may only get an extra run at the early or just before the peak flows start so would there be massive gain in removing them off Longford services from an operational point of view.

Quote:
On Thursday morning, in reply via Twitter to Simeone who couldnt board the first inbound train from maynooth, irish rail had stated that all available capacity is out.

Thursday and yesterday on my way the work, I spotted intercity railcar operating maynooth line services. There were complaints by people online who couldnt board docklands services that were operated by 22ks.

It has been quite a while since I have used the maynooth line but one thing that has stood out for me is the increase in intercity railcars on the maynooth line since I've used it.

Why is this happening ? Are there issues with 29ks? It's such a drop in capacity, to be running intercity railcars on busy commuter lines during the dublin bus strike is madness!
I don't really think you can count loading on Thursday or Friday as representative given the casual commuters using the service because of the strike. Yes I'm sure services are very busy when DB and the same problems exist but I suspect it's not to the same degree.

Quote:
Since the 2800 units left Dublin quite a lot of 22k's have appeared on Maynooth and some Northern line peak hours
Very difficult to see how the 16 sets are worked heavily even with a spare or two factored in considering ICRs share the routes in Limerick/Galway area.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 10-09-2016 at 15:33.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2016, 16:23   #5
Dublin13
Regular Poster

The 22k are like the worst commuter trains I've ever seen, they're so unsuitable for commuter work it is laughable, just as much as the 29k are for intercity work.

I remember when the Dublin Bus strike was on a few years ago and the Maynooth line trains hada the busiest services switched to 6 car 22k whereas suddenly the quietest services were 8 car 29ks it hit me just how bad it was.

Whilst Irish Rail have undoubtedly improved since there, their attention to detail is quite frankly awful and things like this they seem not to care a jot on. The screens outside Connolly for instance have been broken for over 6 months.
Dublin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2016, 10:43   #6
James Shields

I have to agree. IE seem to pay very little attention to the suitability of a given train for a particular journey.

29Ks should not be on any journey over 90 mins, and ideally should be avoided for journeys over 60 mins.

On the understand, I can understand the logistical issue with getting trains and drivers where they need to be. I think IE could really use another 5 or so 8-car commuter sets. There are also plenty of journeys running on 4-car sets that ought to be 8 cars.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote