Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-03-2007, 07:28   #1
tigger1962

Default 4 car commuter train

yep we were told the enterprise was delayed by 20 mins due to security alert. what arrived 20 mins later was a 4 car commuter train. the train is as packed as a normal commuter train by the time it reaches balbriggan. nearly everyone is standing from Dundalk. I suspect we will be told to switch train in drogheda to the 8.32 drogheda train! expect the dublin-belfast train to be switched at connolly
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2007, 08:47   #2
tigger1962

This train is actually a three carriage vehicle... It seems as if it is also being used on the reverse journey! So seating will be tight depending on passenger numbers and no trolly service.
Unread 30-03-2007, 09:11   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its got 200 odd seats and is rather comfy lot smoother than enterprise. They even have a space to park the trolley if they have one

Will Irish Rail do the sensible thing and send over the spare citygold set?
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2007, 09:25   #4
tigger1962

it was similar to the model used on the commuter routes here.. didn't really look any more comfy than those trains. and if it takes 200 seated.. shows how many does get that train in the mornings if its that packed! I wouln't be able to get it every day. I wouldn't be able to cope with standing for up to 2 hours each day!!
Unread 30-03-2007, 21:39   #5
James Shields

I was in Drogheda for the 8:20 Enterprise this morning. At about 8:25 was running late and that the commuter train would be leaving ahead and arriving first in Dublin. Station staff then walked up and down the platform telling everyone that the commuter train would be the first one to Dublin. They seemed very keen to clear the platform, and seemed to be going to greater lengths than usual to convince people to cross over.

So we all piled into the commuter. Next thing some people notice that it's past 8:32 and the train hasn't left yet. They deduce that means that it's being held because the Enterprise is about to arrive and leg it back over. Then the C3K shows up so I head back over. A member of the station staff tells me that it's full, but the front coach wasn't that full. I ended up standing, but there were less people standing than on a typical 2900.

I don't like accusing anyone of telling fibs, but it seems suspicious that the staff were so keen to get everyone off the platform. If they knew what was happening, then I don't think it was right to be dishonest. If they announce that the train has reduced capacity and is extremely full, and that people are advised to take the commuter train, then people can make their own decision. It would be no worse than lots of people who are forced to cram into packed commuters every day. If my employer asked me to tell outright lies to customers, I would not be at all happy.

Of course, I can't rule out the possibility that the staff didn't know the train was about to arrive, but it doesn't seem very likely.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2007, 16:02   #6
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

There was a news story yesterday about disruptions due to a security alert. I'm not sure if these two incidents were associated.

http://breaking.tcm.ie/archives/?c=I...B&d=2007-03-30
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2007, 21:49   #7
Derek Wheeler

The behaviour of Drogheda station staff was poor. I'd say they knew it was a reduced capacity commuter train on Enterprise duty, but didn't have the customer skills to do as lostcarpark suggested the should've done.

Because of that, they just look sneaky, whereas its more than likely they are just not trained enough in customer service skills.

Drogheda wins station award, but this shows that outside of the hanging basket mentality, they've a long way to go.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote